Thursday 7 January 2016

Chapter thirty-five

Becca
I stood there blinking dumbly at the ample crowd stood before me singing Happy Birthday in perfect unison. To say that I was amazed or stunned would be an understatement, I actually had no idea how to react to a surprise such as this. Almost everyone I knew was in this very room with a beaming smile, dressed quite formally and ready to celebrate what was left of my birthday.
I gave a fake smile and thanked everyone once they were done. I squeezed Ty's hand firmly and he laughed, knowing full well how aggravated I was with him at this very moment. Music played loudly in the background from the stereo and people gradually moved to the middle of the room to dance, whilst others stayed seated and continued to engage in conversation. I spun around to peer at Tyreece who carried that damn smug smile on his face.
"What the hell is this?" I asked him.
"What does it look like?" His grin widened. It was obvious that he was amused at my slight irritation, if anything he thoroughly enjoyed it. I made a mental note to get back at him for this later on.
"Becc's!" I turned around to see Chris and Grace approaching. I gave a little wave.
"Happy birthday," Grace beamed. She handed me a small tightly-wrapped present and smiled.
"From the both of us," Chris said.
"From me. Chris had no money," Grace corrected. He gave her a look and I laughed.
"You didn't have to," I said.
Chris tutted in annoyance. "Be quiet and gimme a hug man." I stepped forward and we embraced briefly. He gave me a light kiss on the cheek then looked at Tyreece. "You two together now?" he asked.
"Yeah." To prove a point Ty wrapped a protective arm around me.
Chris noticed the action and smiled. "Look after her," he warned. Tyreece nodded and he gave him a friendly pat on the shoulder before placing his arm around Grace and walking off.
I admired their relationship, the way they were both lovers and friends. Able to make jokes with each other, yet still committed with strong feelings. That was the kind of thing I craved for more than anything. I realised Ty's hand was no longer connected to mine and looked to see he had literally disappeared, and was nowhere to be seen. I know he's a fast runner and all that, but pulling this kind of stunt was just ridiculous.
I shrugged and walked around to greet the remaining people in the room. Even some college people were here, ones I've never spoken to in my entire life. I didn't actually mind though. I watched my cousins as they each danced with a friend in the middle of the room to the music, it made me laugh how they were able to do such a thing so quickly yet I've only been here 5 minutes. Soon I was approached by Brooklyn and Natalie, who were wearing similar dresses and carrying the same cheesy smile. They both looked gorgeous nonetheless.
"Happy birthday!" they exclaimed over the thumping music. I smiled and hugged them both.
"Thanks dumplings."
"Watch you though. You look stunning!" Natalie spun me around to view my dress. I laughed and shook my head at her foolishness.
"Finally 18. Feel any different?" Brooks asked.
I shrugged. "Not really."
They both rolled their eyes. It was odd the way they performed the same actions, they may as well be twins.
"Well Miss 18, today is your day." Natalie winked. The realisation suddenly hit me and I was brought back to our previous phone conversation; I told her I planned to do nothing today. It was clear she had gotten her own way...and she loved it.
"Did you plan this?" I whispered to her.
"Nope, it was all Tyreece." She grinned.
I sighed and shook my head. Like I said; I shall deal with him later. One by one people wished me a happy birthday—as if I ain't heard that shit enough today—but I wasn't fazed to be honest. All I could think about was how Ty managed to round up all these people in only a short period of time, unless this had been planned from a long time ago. It was evident that black people need some pre-warning on an occasion so they can decide if they would actually turn up or not, and that takes up to at least two weeks to decide, minimum.
Soon the air was hot and the atmosphere became humid. It didn't take long before everyone was up dancing. I watched the damp, sweaty bodies brush against each other and sighed. Considering the house was fairly big, there was just about enough room for everyone to dance. The furniture had been shifted to one side of the room, leaving the space that had been replaced by a table of finger snacks and beverages. It was beyond me why everyone remained huddled in a bunch instead of giving each other air and room to breathe, they must all adore the smell of body odour and heated weave. I laughed at my own thoughts and turned to Xavier: my cousin and the DJ for the night.
"Can't you play something other than Mavado?"
He laughed and spun the record on the turn-table, causing the track to start again from the beginning. "Yeah...Vybz." He stuck his tongue out and changed the record.
Suddenly Mavado's gruff voice was substituted for Vybz Kartel's hideous voice instead. Everyone cheered in delight as Dumpa Truck began to play through the many speakers of the house. The base was so overpowering and the vocals were deafening, along with everyone else singing along.
"SET GOOD LIKE DI ICE INA FREEZA!" Everyone paired up and danced close like this was a romantic ball-room party. Xavier pulled up the track again, making everyone even more hyped and excited. I rolled my eyes and decided to take a seat with the normal people who were, believe it or not, Chris and Sean. They sat there conversing and sharing a bottle of Jack Daniels.
"Hello civilians." I dumped myself beside Chris and they both laughed.
"Enjoying yourself Becc's?" Sean questioned.
"Eh. So-so," I muttered, using my hand to express my statement. He nodded and poured more alcohol into his glass.
"Cheers." Him and Chris clinked glasses and gulped the drink down. They weren't even using shot glasses, so this was dangerous. I shrugged and left them to it, this seemed promising for later on in the morning when they’re both drunk off their heads.
I rested one foot on Chris' leg and sat back on the chair. I couldn't even begin to think with the music disrupting me as it blazed through the speakers and rumbled the floorboards. No-one else seemed bothered by the volume of the music, but that was purely due to the fact that they were too busy humping on an imaginary dance floor. Sean offered me some of his drink but I declined. It was unlike me, but I refuse to drink anything for a long period of time. I wouldn't want to go through the same thing as last time with my (wonderful) accident with Tyreece. Like I had told him before, being drunk is the worst state to be in.
I noticed Zion seeping through the crowd of tipsy teenagers and nearing himself towards the row of chairs. He eventually came close enough and sat beside me with a bottle of Bacardi Breezer in his hand. He was panting heavily with perspiration on his forehead. I watched him blankly like I always did, then he turned to me.
"Wah'um birthday gyal," he slurred. I watched him and cursed mentally in my head. He was so sickening and just a failure at life. It was such a shame that he was completely identical to Tyreece. If they didn't look so alike I'd be so tempted to fling him out the yard, but unfortunately he lived here also.
"Are you tipsy off Barcardi Breezer fam?" Sean asked with a raised brow.
Zion rested his head on my shoulder and giggled to himself like a prat. "Nah nah." He hiccupped and scratched his Adam’s apple. I just felt like tying him up with Chinese rope and hanging him from Big Ben. He watched me from his half-open eyes and just about managed to smile correctly. "How you doing?"
"Your breath smells like someone took a shit in your mouth," I said plainly. I distinctly heard Chris mention Two Girls One Cup over the music but decided to ignore the comment.
Zion chuckled and brought the bottle close to my mouth. "Take a sip," he said.
I immediately pushed his head off of my shoulder and stood up. "Fall back man."
Chris laughed and I headed in the direction of the table to get some sausage rolls. Despite the fact that I had already eaten with Ty, I was starving up in this bitch. I weaved through numerous bodies and eventually made it to the other side in one piece. I retrieved a plastic plate from its pile and licked my lips at the chicken, sandwiches, pasta, and drinks all in one place. I then felt a vibration from my shoulder bag and looked to see a text from dad.
—Hope ur having fun :p
A smile emerged on my lips. This unexpected text could only mean one thing: dad knew all along about Tyreece and what his plans were for today. No wonder he didn't give me a curfew. This made me ponder on who else participated with the arrangement of my birthday; it was obviously well thought of. Ty couldn't have possibly done this all by himself; he must have received help somehow. I huffed and placed the plate down then walked towards Gavin and Jessica, who seemed to be getting quite comfortable with each other.
"Have you seen Tyreece?" Gavin shook his head then threw it back to pour the rest of the drink down his open gob. Jessica grabbed the glass from his hand.
"Saw him a minute ago heading upstairs," she informed.
I gave her a thumbs up and quickly darted up the stairs till I finally reached the landing. I witnessed Michael going into the toilet with a random chick and shook my head. First instinct was to go to his room, which was literally his sanctuary. I opened the door and bustled inside to see him stood by his drawers, peering at something intently. I stepped further into the room; he still hadn't noticed that he was no longer alone. I eventually got close enough and was able to inhale the sweet aroma of him. Well, he did smell delectable.
"Clever, the way you arranged all this," I said quietly. My calm voice caused him to turn around and look at me.
He smiled, welcomed by my sudden presence. "You think so?"
My forced smile then morphed into a disapproved frown. "Mate, you've gone against my wishes. I specifically said that I didn't want today to be celebrated!"
He chuckled and held me loosely, pulling me closer into him. "I bet you wanna kill me right now."
"Already thought of three different methods and an alibi."
His cocky smile broadened, he laid a soft kiss on my lips. "I'll make it up to you," he muttered. He kissed me again and I was instantly enticed by his softened lips and strong hands.
I rested my arms around his neck, pulling him closer than he already was and yearning for more than what I was receiving. His grip on me tightened, he held me firmly in his arms and brought me over to his double bed, still with his lips connected with mine. I ran my hands over his wavy hair and gave a long inward sigh.
We landed on the cushioned bed and he shuffled about, turning over to ensure that he was on top. Our tongues lingered, along with our breath and saliva. This was one of the most enjoyable kisses I have shared with Tyreece so far; my stomach turned numerous somersaults with every stroke of his tongue and every movement of his hand. Using the tip of his tongue he massaged mine and swirled it around the innards of my mouth. He rested his hand on my thigh then I pulled away, breathing heavily when I realised exactly what we were up to.
"I thought you couldn't get carried away?" I asked, recalling what he had said when we first entered the house.
He teasingly ran his fingers down my thigh, creating a vast wave of tingles on the surface of my skin, before brushing them back upward again and drawing my dress further up along with his hand. "Right now I don't care," he gave a cheeky smile.
I giggled and he dipped his head to meet my lips with his own once again. He sucked my bottom lip into his mouth as his hand wandered through my dress, finally reaching its destination: my bra. He lifted the cup, replacing it with his hand instead and squeezed my breast in his palm gently. I groaned quietly at the feel of his forefinger and thumb pinching and flicking at my nipple until it became erect. My eyes squinted shut and my body trembled in mild ecstasy. He released my lip, allowing it to pop back into place and shifted his lips to my neck instead. I found it hard to focus on his lips when his fingers were teasing my nipple in such a manner.
My body became heated with passion and hungry with need. I wanted more, like the last time; he owes me a lot more. The thought of doing this with an unlocked door during my party made this even more exciting. The drunken lustful night came flooding back to me, strengthening the yearning frustration and desire that I felt. He continued to play with my nipple; I could feel his eyes on me as he watched my face for any sexual reaction.
"You're getting me all hot and bothered," I struggled to utter. I heard his lips part into a conceited smile.
"We should remove this dress then," he whispered.
I peered into his almond-shaped eyes and fell into a deep trance; he was so good to me. At first I had my doubts about this relationship and what the outcome would be, but I had a strong feeling that we'd stay happy together for a very long time. Finally I was able to share the same relationship that Chris and Grace had. I was grateful to have this marshmallow enter my life. I smiled my consent and he tugged at the side-zipper of my strapless dress. He pulled at it slowly as his yielding lips roamed my neck but came to a halt when someone knocked on the door. We fell silent, our heavy breathing being the only thing audible throughout the room.
"Birthday girl, you in there?" FUCK SAKE.
"Say no," I whispered to him.
He chuckled and stood up, pulling me along with him. I quickly fixed my hair and dress, feeling somewhat outraged by the fact that we were interrupted.
"Yeah she's here," Tyreece called out. Jesus Christ.
The door opened and my jaw dropped in awe once I realised he was stood before us. He entered the room and I stared for ages. It was as if time stood still. He had one hand in the pocket of his black corduroy trousers, with the other carrying a gift bag. His face brightened with his wide smile, showing a full set of teeth. His broad shoulders slumped as he took a step closer. I didn't even move or respond, my entire body had become numb from the utter shock. Like a fool I remained perfectly still, staring in amazement and blinking dumbly at the sight. It's been ages since I last saw him, and now here he was. He noticed the absolute disbelief displayed on my face and smiled.
"Uncle Richard?" I muttered.
His smile broadened at the mention of his name. Without hesitation I ran forward into his arms, just like I used to as a little girl. He chuckled and held me tight.
"Rebecca, it's been awhile." His chest rose and fell quickly as he continued to laugh at my sudden grip on him. He pulled back and analysed me closely. "Well, haven't you grown!"
"And you've got even more muscle. You're all better now?"
He gave a small nod. "100 percent." I beamed in excitement. He held up his hand and presented me with the gift bag. "Happy birthday."
I looked inside to see two neatly wrapped presents lying inside. I peered up to meet his eyes and my smile grew. "Thanks, uncle." I leaned up and kissed him on the cheek. It was quite hard considering his tall and bulky exterior. He patted my back and turned to Ty, and then he gave a brief nod.
"Nice to see you, Tyreece."
Ty nodded back in the same manner. "You too."
Uncle watched me with indulgent eyes and smiled. "Was only dropping by. I'll be off now."
I sighed happily. "Bye uncle." He gave a small wave and left the room. I spun around to face Ty, he was leaned back on the wall, watching me with an intense gaze. "You brought him here?"
"I knew how much you missed him. Managed to get a few links and eventually we both came into contact. Told him about today and he was more than happy to show up."
My heart performed a solitary loud thud deep in my chest. I was astonished by how much Tyreece was actually willing to do for me. I was more than grateful.
The history of Uncle Richard derives way back to when he was in his early 30's. He was always unlucky when it came to cancer, not as unlucky as my mum though. She and Uncle Richard were the closest siblings I ever knew. Unfortunately after she died he developed throat cancer. He spent the majority of his time in hospital and required a great deal of medical treatment. I was 15 the last time I saw him. It's been so long, which is why I was so astounded by his presence. I was perplexed by how well he looked. Truthfully I didn't expect him to recover so easily, but I was glad that he did.
I edged closer to Ty, whose eyes were still fixated on me. "Thank you." I hugged him tight. His strong hands enclosed me securely as he laid a gentle kiss on my forehead. It was then when I realised that I will always be safe with Tyreece.
"Come, let's go downstairs." I nodded in agreement and we soon left the room.
By now I had lightened up by a minuscule notch, and decided that I would enjoy myself for the rest of the evening...well I'll try. We arrived in the living-room; the lights had been dimmed and the music was more wild and clamorous. Even more bodies were in the middle of the 'dance floor', huddled up and dancing sensually. Instantly Grace popped up beside me sipping some Coke from her glass.
"Where have you been? Everyone was looking for you."
My brow arched. "Why? I ain't been reported missing, what's the problem?"
She laughed lightly. "You missed the banging tunes!"
"Don't worry; I've got a stereo at home. I can have my own rave with my dad when I get back."
She gave me a sudden look when something dawned on her. "Tyreece went missing aswell. What were you two doing?"
"What makes you think I was with him?" She gave me yet another look and I rolled my eyes. "Stop with the looks, Grace."
Her eyebrow rose and fell suggestively and then she laughed at my mild annoyance. "Nat was looking for Ty to dance."
I shrugged. "Well he should be about somewhere, tell her to find him."
She laughed and offered me some of her coke. Due to what me and Tyreece were up to a few moments ago, my dry throat needed thoroughly drenching. I shuffled awkwardly at the feel of my damp underwear and sighed. Things like this need to stop happening.
Eventually I had settled down with all these peasants and was endowed with a lovely chocolate birthday cake. I blew out a few candles, (another set to blow out in the same fucking evening) and everyone clapped, secretly thrilled at the idea of digesting the cake. After performing a mini speech I had cut the cake into equal slices, surprisingly there was enough for everyone. They formed a line and received a slice each. I handed a bigger slice to Ty and we shared one. He fed me tiny crumbs just to take the piss.
"Don't upset me, Tyreece."
He laughed and broke off a bigger piece, then brought it close to my lips. "Open wide," he instructed softly. I parted my lips then he shoved the piece into his mouth instead. I narrowed my eyes at him causing him to laugh and stick his tongue out at me. That was when I grabbed the slice and stuffed in into his mouth. Gavin, who was sat on the opposite side of the room, saw this occurrence and began to laugh. There was icing displayed all around his mouth and nose. He watched me sternly. I gave a sweet smile in return then stood up to fetch my own slice.
Pictures were taken, laughs erupted the room along with the thumping music and the sweet vibe of exuberance. All in all I had a good birthday, thanks to Tyreece.
I used the table spoon to tap the edge of the coffee mug, creating a constant chiming noise to rupture the entire cafe. I was bored out of my head and needed serious entertainment. Unfortunately for me, Caffe Nero wasn't as exciting as Footlocker was. In there; different pricks would enter the shop, analysing trainers that they shouldn't even dare to fit on their feet, overage woman tried on NY caps and snapbacks—the lot.
In here though; posh white citizens enter, order coffee and then take a seat. Not really my ideal scene. I gave an exasperated sigh and banged my head on the counter, just like old times. I've been 18 for two weeks now and I haven't felt any different. No actual change to my life has taken place, things were still the same. Don't really understand what the hype is about. I'd rather be 12 years old again; that way my mum would still be here, and she could hold me in her arms again as we sipped hot chocolate while watching cooking shows.
I sighed at the feel of the cold countertop granite surface that came into contact with my forehead. It wasn't the same, not like Footlocker's counter. It was as if I was homesick, but I used to hate that place. Still do.
"This is all long," I muttered beneath my breath. I heard Chanel crunching on her of Walkers crisps.
"If only there was a way to escape," she replied in a blank tone.
Today her hair was tied back in one bunch, which gave access to her clear face. She looked completely different without the large frizz on her hair, but she was still pretty nonetheless. I wondered whether we were long-lost sisters, we were so alike that it was frightening. All day we've done nothing but slip salt into people’s coffee and laugh at the weirdest head-shapes that we come across.
The door opened and Javon walked in casually. He got behind the counter and folded his shirt sleeves up then took a seat on the surface, as if he didn't have to work. Javon was the youngest worker here, but the first one of us three to actually secure the job. On my first day it was him who showed me around, gave me tips on health and safety—the usual shit. He was always so laid back and just as lazy as Chanel and I, which was understandable. He always had the later shift, yet he finished earlier than us as well, which wasn't even fair. The lucky shit. He was adorable though, the way the dimple in his right cheek appeared whenever he laughed. His hair was nice and wavy also, like Tyreece's. Wasn't exactly sure where he was from, but he was light-skinned. He smiled politely at the both of us.
"Afternoon girls," he said merrily.
"Mmh," we both mumbled simultaneously in return. He laughed at our zombie-like response.
"What's wrong?" Did he even have to ask?
"I want to go home," I groaned, attempting to stack all of the sugar packets into a tall building block.
Currently there were only two customers sat at the far table chatting their shit. I bet if we all left they wouldn't even notice, or maybe we should just escort them out. I was actually considering this idea. I'm a fucking genius. I'm surprised that I haven't been fired by the manager yet...perhaps my time is pending.
"Truth or dare," Chanel said to Javon. I turned to face her slowly.
"What?" he asked with a raised brow.
"Truth, or dare?" she repeated.
I watched her silently for a few minutes, and then smiled as I knew exactly what she was getting at. Nothing else to do but occupy ourselves with a stupid little game. This would pass the time by also.
Next to smile was Javon, as he belatedly understood why Chanel had questioned him. He had caught onto our silly ways and was preparing to be apart of it. "Dare."
Chanel went to the shelf and retrieved different mixes and ingredients. She then grabbed a mug, filled it with milk, and poured everything that remained in her hand inside, and then mixed it with the table spoon that I had used as my drum-stick earlier on. She mixed the contents around and swirled the liquid within the mug before placing it down on the table.
"Pretend it’s coffee," she said with a smile.
Both Javon and I raised an eyebrow at its questionable smell and appearance. COFFEE ISN'T MEANT TO BUBBLE AND FIZZ.
"I dare you to drink this," Chanel exclaimed with a challenging grin. It was more of a command than an option; Javon had no choice.
He eyed the mug mysteriously. "What did you put in it?"
"You'll find out when you taste it."
The taste in my mouth had already turned bitter just by the look of the substance. Chanel laughed at my facial expression; she truly was evil and showed no remorse.
"Wait," I said. I grabbed hold of the mug and placed it in the microwave. After warming it up for 30 seconds I brought it out and handed the mug to its rightful owner. I was just as bad as Chanel to be honest. The substance smelt even worse at this point. He brought it to his lips and inhaled deeply. This concoction could kill a nigga...or cause some form of an allergic reaction. Either way he was fucked.
"Hurry up man," Chanel urged. He braced himself and drew his head back.
"Hello, I believe I require some service." We all turned to the customer stood by the counter with a dull expression. "Can I have some-...?"
"But are you Queen Elizabeth the Second? This is important matters we're tending to." I watched the woman sternly and she kept her mouth shut.
Javon laughed and began to drink the poison. His Adams apple literally vibrated with each gulp he took. Chanel and I watched in anticipation, waiting to see how he would react. He finally stopped and slammed the mug down on its coaster, licking his lips as he did so.
"Done," he stated proudly. He performed a victorious smile and belched.
"I was hoping you'd throw up," I grumbled. So much for entertainment...
"My stomach is too strong."
Chanel kissed her teeth, feeling as disappointed as I was, then faced the awaiting customer. "State your order," she said in a bitter voice.
Completely stunned by the bad service, the woman blinked repeatedly. "Erm, Mocha Frappè Latte please."
"I'll get it," Javon offered. He walked over to the coffee machine and I watched him. I hoped that soon he'll either develop the runs or just throw up whilst at his home. I laughed to myself and began cleansing and disinfecting the rest of the counter.
As soon as the clock struck 7PM I was out of that building in the blink of an eye. Funny how no matter what job I had, I was always in a rush to leave. Just goes to show how shit working life is. I rested my earphones in my ear and pressed play on my iPod. The Weeknd began to sooth my eardrums and warm my heart. By God, this man was talented.
I upped the volume and turned the corner from the main road. Conveniently enough for me, it didn't take long to reach my house from work, it was merely a 10 minute walk. Even though I hate walking—exercise fi dead—I suppose it wasn't all bad.
I hummed along to the melody in my ear and smiled to myself in amusement. I haven't been this happy in a long while, life was actually beginning to look up for me. I remember just a few months ago I was an emotional wreck, always verbally attacking strangers and forever carrying a frown on my face. Lately I've lightened up a bit more, giving me a chance to meet new acquaintances. As for college, I couldn't wait to finish off my second year so I could leave that building forever and just laugh at the rest of the pricks stuck there in their school uniform.
I sighed cheerfully. Life is good.
Despite me being optimistic, the weather refused to reflect my mood. It was getting darker by the second, but I wasn't even fazed. FEMALE DON WALKING. Once I cross the road, it will be the cars that will have to look both ways. I chuckled to myself and changed the song. I noticed my shadow on the pavement was not alone. An even bigger shadow followed suit, but I wasn't about to worry. I kept my eyes focused on the road ahead, already aware that I had a few more roads to go before I actually arrived home. As I changed the track on my iPod I heard heavy breathing from behind. Perhaps the person was morbidly obese and required a higher intake of oxygen...yeah, that's it.
I picked up the pace and plunged my hands into the pockets of my fur coat. The shadow neared even closer. I couldn't help but watch the pavement; it was much easier than just turning around to view behind me. Knowing my luck, this person wasn't just a normal citizen taking a stroll in the dark.
As if the person had read my mind, their firm hands clamped down onto my shoulder and dragged me backwards into their concrete chest. Before I could scream or call for help they clasped their hand over my lips to prevent any sound leaving my mouth. First instinct was to bite hard onto their grubby fingers, but it had zero effect on them.
I was dragged into the secluded park around the corner. They released me from their grip and slammed me into the brick wall by my neck. I tried searching into the eyes of my captor but was blinded by the darkness of the atmosphere and his large hood.
"Get the fuck off me!" I yelled.
The darkened face said nothing. I kicked my legs about and tried kneeing him in the balls, but he managed to move just in time. I had no clue who he was, but he was really pissing me off rather than intimidating me. I had no business with him, yet he wanted to fuck around with me. I snarled at him viciously.
"I'm sick of going through shit like this! Do whatever the fuck you're gonna do and get it over with!" When he didn’t respond I regurgitated the saliva in my mouth and spat a ball of phlegm into his unseen face. He growled ferociously and hammered me into the wall once again; causing my head to collide into the bricks and my neck to ache. The back of my head began to pound viciously.
That hurt.
I let out a groan of pain and cursed him loudly. My vision blurred and I had a shortage of breath. Still he said nothing; what made it even worse is I had not seen his face yet. He delved into the pocket of his hoody and drew out a hinged folding knife. He flicked it into place and held it up. I eyed the knife as it shone in the moonlight, reflecting its gleam and shimmering in my face. He brought it closer and tightened his grip around my neck.
My eyes shifted out of focus once again and my throat was beginning to close up. I coughed and felt my stomach turn at the sight of the knife. I was expecting him to say a few last words before striking me in the heart, but instead he watched me silently. Up until now he hadn't said a word, but the motion of his chest rising and falling proved he was outraged by the phlegm I had left on his face. I panted, attempting to keep my respiration intact but failed. I could feel the blood trickle down the back of my neck already, and my head was turning light.
"Fucking...do it," I wheezed. "I don't e-even care anymore."
My eyes closed and then it happened. My body fell to the ground with a loud thud like a sack of bricks. All thoughts and emotions were drained from my body instantly. My cheek stung from scraping on the jagged concrete and the constant throbbing of my head became ten times more excessive. I began to drift in and out of consciousness as I heard scuffing and the repeated sound of colliding fists.
I managed to pry one eye open and witness two blurry dark figures before me; one towering over the other, smashing him in the face with their fist. I struggled to move even an inch, but was able to mount my upper body off of the ground by my forearm. I felt the back of my head and my fingers moistened; I peered at them to see that they were covered in blood. The sight of dark red blood caused my stomach to churn. My eyes and peripheral vision were altered and I was suddenly seeing doubles.
The first figure continued to attack the second, who remained completely defenceless on the floor. His cries for help were audible, yet my ears couldn't detect every sound. My pounding head and injured neck would soon become a burden if I didn't try my best to escape now. I attempted to crawl forward but the bone within my arm was weak and useless from when I had crashed to the ground.
I turned my bad neck to face the other two, who were still going at it. The helpless one on the floor now remained perfectly still and motionless, whilst the other watched over him mercilessly. His breathing was heavy and rugged. I winced at the hurtful pressure of my neck and felt myself losing more blood. My head rested on the concrete again as I decided to give up trying. The figure turned to me and walked towards me, then stopped and watched me closely. My blurred vision could just about distinguish the confirmation that this person was male.
"Please..." I strained to beg. He breathed deeply and bent down to tend to me. My eyes closed and suddenly my body was lifted into the air. I flinched at the pain in my neck and felt the whole world enclose me...
Water.
Leaking, oozing water. Flowing, streaming, weeping water.
Drip. Plop.
I envisioned the pure water surrounding me, cleansing my mind, body and soul. The cool liquid captivated my body, nourishing it and thoroughly drenching my skin. The pure water washed over my flowing hair and eventually travelled down my neck, back, stomach and legs.
Was I bathing?
My imagination?
My eyelids twitched and pierced open. The cream coloured ceiling came into view. I blinked numerous times and held my forehead, which thumped as if a mini drum was being constantly struck near my brain. It irritated me, along with my strained neck and aching bones. I grumbled in pain before attempting to sit up correctly. Once I straightened my back I peered around at the unfamiliar room and the bed I was laying in. I ran my hands over the quilt, feeling the material in my palm and frowned to myself.
Where the fuck am I?
My eyes darted in every direction of the room in bewilderment. The blue walls and fresh furniture encircled me; I was completely unaware of where I was. My vision cleared, giving me the opportunity to swing my legs around the edge of the bed and stand up. With buckling knees and weakened legs I strolled towards the wooden draw and hoisted myself up properly in order to regain my balance...well was left of it. The pressure of my forehead was gradually strengthening. I breathed deeply and began to dread the worst. I just wanted to go home.
The room was modern yet bare; almost every piece of furniture was either Pine or Mahogany. Next to the mounted 30 inch flat screen TV was a dark blue clock to suit the theme of the room. 11:43PM. I grimaced at the revealed time and held my forehead. I desperately needed some answers and information. I can honestly say that this is the most confused I've ever been. The sound of water was heard once again; drizzling, gushing water from another room. I staggered towards the wooden door, the feeling of curiosity enthralling me.
Turning the cold handle I quietly shuffled out of the room. I stood in the hallway, mentally contemplating whether spying on this person was a clever idea or not. However, I deserved to know what kind of shit I had just endured over the past few hours. I stayed close to the wall and took miniature steps towards the sound of the water. By now I had come across the bathroom door that was left slightly ajar.
I peered through the crack of the door but couldn't see anything besides the sink. I squinted in order to get a better glimpse, yet it didn't help at all. I edged even closer to the door, using my fingers to gently push it open and creating a bigger gap to see through. I half-jumped as someone came into view: a boy. He stood in front of the sink and watched himself in the mirror without moving an inch. The pulse of my heart became excessive; I pushed the door open even wider and scrutinized the boy. He stood there completely topless, blotting at a particular spot on his cheek using his flannel and the water from the sink.
That was the water I heard.
Each time he dipped the flannel into the pool of water, rinsed it out, and then dabbed his cheek, arm and chest. It then occurred to me that he was cleansing the cuts and bruises that he had embarked on during his brawl with the other mysterious boy in black. My breathing became heavy as I waited to discover the identity of this guy. It was no help seeing just the back view of him; I had to wait until he moved. He dabbed at the cut beneath his bloodshot eye and flinched as he wiped it.
I decided to budge the door once more; this time a creaking noise was heard from the strained hinges. The boy paused and stared into the mirror. I froze and kept perfectly still. He looked to his side; I could just about see his facial features. He chuckled to himself and threw the flannel back over his shoulder. He then pulled at the plug of the sink and allowed the water to disappear down the drain. He peered at the mirror for a few minutes.
"I know you're there," he suddenly said.
My eyes widened in panic and I remained perfectly still again. I had confused him with a predator, and cursed myself mentally when I realised that even with me stood like a statue, I was still clearly visible. Fuck sake. It was then he slowly turned around when my heart shattered and my shoulders slumped. My jaw turned slack and the moisture began to cloud my eyes. It was as if I had ceased breathing and had giving up on life altogether. He was the last person I had expected to come across, ever!
The shock and awe displayed on my face was evident, yet all he could do was gaze at me with no emotion. My stomach became hollow with each second that surpassed us. His eyes were boring into mine with such intensity that it made my heart kick-start once again. I felt literally brain-dead at this moment. I must've looked so foolish stood there completely frozen.
He then bit his lip, and the dimple appeared.
"Hello, Ree."

No comments:

Post a Comment