Thursday 7 January 2016

Chapter forty-six

Chanel finally returned to work. Although it took her a while to get back into the swing of things, she seemed to be getting a lot better. Her scars were beginning to disappear, and her confidence was shining through once more. As the workday was coming to an end, I began to clear the cutlery and plates away with Chanel and another worker, Leanne, when Javon walked by with his jacket on.
“Leaving early?” Leanne asked.
“Yeah, gotta sort something out. See you lot tomorrow.” He waved a brief goodbye before quickly leaving.
“I’ve never seen Javon leave early before,” Chanel muttered.
“His mum is ill,” Leanne said as she wiped the surface. “Apparently it’s something terminal. He’s been looking after her for the past week. He said he might even quit work to care for her.”
Chanel frowned. “Ah, that’s sad. He seemed fine today.”
“I dunno about that. I could tell something was wrong with him. But he has to stay positive for his mums sake.”
“I’m just surprised he didn’t tell me.” Chanel turned to face me. “Did you know, Becc’s?”
“No.”
I felt Chanel’s eyes lingering on me for a few seconds but continued to clear away. I wiped down the coffee machine while the other two continued their conversation. It wasn’t like I didn’t care about Javon—actually I considered him a friend—but I had other things on my mind at the moment. Since the incident on Monday I haven’t been in a good mood. I felt like the days were literally drifting by. My entire being felt numb, and I was finding it hard to smile these days, let alone anything else. It was already Thursday and I couldn’t wait to get home so I could lie in bed. No doubt Andre would probably be missing again, but I wasn’t going to bother with him.
Kayden would text every so often to check up on me, which was nice of him I suppose. The migraines would come and go, but it was something I was used to now. Although I didn’t want to be at work, I just needed something, anything, to distract me from my own tense thoughts. The conversation between Sacha and Ty has been ringing in my ears for the past three days, and it was beginning to irk me.
“I’ll be doing nationals soon.”
“What about your girl?”
“What about her?”
“Are you two not together anymore?”
“...dunno.”
I sighed and threw the cloth down. Tyreece hasn’t even spoken to me since, and now I knew why. He was too busy training and fondling that bitch. Seeing their chemistry and the way he held her so sensually made my chest ache. Were they always that close? Did Ty always touch her like that whenever I wasn’t around? Just how faithful has he been the past year?
I frowned. I didn’t want to be caught up on him, but his words really did hurt. I wanted to reconcile and make things right, but instead I experienced pain. I wasn’t sure what heartbreak felt like, but I’m certain this current feeling wasn’t far off.
“Becc’s?” I looked up to see Chanel peering at me inquisitively. "What’s wrong?”
I gave a light shrug. “Nothing really.” I noticed we were now alone. “Where’s Leanne?”
“Gone toilet...” She wiped her wet hands on her trousers and leaned against the counter. “...So you can stop lying and tell me what’s up.”
Her penetrative eyes made me look away. “I don’t really wanna go into it, Chan.”
She was silent for a few seconds. “If it’s affecting you that much, you probably need someone to talk to.”
I breathed deeply and fiddled with the saucers to try and seem busy.
Chanel sighed from behind. “Alright. Just know that I’m here to listen. You were there for me so I wanna return the favour.”
I nodded glumly. “Thanks, Chanel.”
She rubbed my back and continued to clear up. Soon we were finished and Leanne offered to drop us home once we left Caffé Nero.
“Shotgun,” Chanel declared with a smile before hopping in the front of the Peugeot. Leanne laughed and started the engine.
“Buckle up guys. I don’t wanna be stopped by police again.”
I raised a brow. “Again?”
Leanne sighed as she adjusted her seatbelt. “I got caught doing 60 in a 30 zone. I wasn’t wearing a seatbelt, and I had alcohol on me as well.”
I blinked at that confession. To an onlooker, Leanne seemed like your average pretty black girl, but we all knew she was wild. I was surprised she even managed to get a job with the amount of points on her license and the criminal record she had. Suddenly I didn’t feel so safe in her car.
“60 miles per hour? Are we even safe in this car?” Chanel muttered, voicing my own concern.
She chuckled and revved her engine. “Don’t worry, I’m the safest driver on the road.” Suddenly the car jerked forward and we rocketed down the side road in a flash. I quickly held onto the handle of the door, already fearing my life.
“Leanne, this road is a 20 zone,” Chanel shrieked in panic.
I saw her smile in the rear-view mirror. “It’s calm, I’m only doing 40.”
My eyes bulged and Chanel screamed.
The whole ride home was full of skids and swerves. We reached my house quickly, and Leanne slammed on the break hard, causing us all to jolt forward and then smash back into our seat. I had never been so thankful to wear a seatbelt until now. I touched my chest and felt my rapid heartbeat. I breathed heavily, relieved to actually make it home in one piece, although we almost died multiple times.
“I think I got whiplash,” Chanel mumbled. Leanne laughed and I unbuckled my seatbelt.
“Thanks for the lift,” I wheezed. My throat was extremely sore from all the horrified screaming.
“Anytime man. I should be your carpool from now on init?”
I stared at Leanne for a long time before quickly stepping out of the car and shutting the door. I leaned on Chanel’s half-open window. “You two live right next to each other, Chan will holler at you instead.”
Chanel looked at me with horror while Leanne nodded in agreement.
“True,” she said. Then she nudged Chanel. “I’ll be picking you up tomorrow.”
“I can walk,” Chan quickly insisted.
“Why walk when I can drive you?” Leanne laughed and waved at me. “See you later, Becc’s.”
I nodded and looked back to Chanel. “God bless you,” I whispered to her.
Before Chan could reply, Leanne sped off; tires screeching and thick smoke seeping out the exhaust. I heard Chanel’s terrified screams as Leanne rounded the corner, then they disappeared.
I entered the house and was met with silence. It was roughly 10PM so I knew Dad was still at work and Kieran was probably seeking out another girl somewhere. As for Andre, his whereabouts were unpredictable. I never know when I would see him again. He literally comes and goes. I suppose I should be thankful that he still goes to school at least.
I dumped my bag by the door and headed to the kitchen for a drink. Surprisingly, Andre was by the table making a sandwich.
“You’re back late. Were you out linkin’ man after work or somethin’? Ooo, I’m tellin’ Dad!”
That’s what I imagined the old Andre would say. It was always pure banter with him. Right now though, this current Andre was completely different. Instead, he glared at me with narrowed eyes, then tutted before throwing the knife in the sink and walking past me. I heard footsteps and then his door shutting upstairs.
I shook my head and decided to leave him. There was no use truing to figure out this malicious behaviour. He was obviously going through something none of us understood.
I poured some orange juice in a glass and headed upstairs to get changed. I was beginning to feel drowsy so by the time my head hit the pillow I was ready to dose off. I shut my eyes and tried to empty my mind of any negative thoughts, but the same two voices rang in my ears all over again.
“What about your girl?”
“What about her?”
“Are you two not together anymore?”
“...dunno.”
I frowned. Why was that the only thing on my mind right now? The last thing I wanted to think about was Tyreece and Sacha. I expected myself to be a bit more angry about the situation, but instead I was distraught, hurt...numb, like my very soul was wavering.
Is this how Tyreece felt when I told him about me and Kayden?
Probably.
Even so, he forgave me and gave our relationship another chance. But wasn’t that slightly different? I had confessed to Tyreece about Kayden and I getting intimate in my room. He was clearly pissed off, but he claimed that he wasn’t. Now though, he had started trouble on my mother’s anniversary, and even after I tried to make things right with him, he simply ignored me and pushed me aside.
I witnessed him grope Sacha, tease her, laugh with her...but I didn’t feel the same hostility towards him like I did with Leon. When I found out Leon was cheating on me with Olivia, I discovered what rage truly felt like. So why isn’t it the same with this situation?
Have I changed? Or was it some kind of soft spot I had for Tyreece?
Either way it was annoying.
My phone began to flash and vibrate. I took it off the charger and glanced at the caller ID before answering.
“Hi.”
“Been a while since I’ve heard your voice.”
“Only a week...” Which was quite long, considering. Kayden and I have only been texting these past few days. “What’s up?”
“Just thought I’d holler. Zaine said he misses you.”
I couldn’t help but smile weakly. The last time I saw Zaine was when I did his hair for him. That was quite some time ago, since I never go to Kayden’s house anymore. There was no need to.
“Tell him I miss him too.”
“Lemme talk to her,” I heard Zaine say to him.
Kayden grunted, “Why are you even awake? Go bed fam.”
“Shut up, I wanna say hi,” Zaine said.
“Put him on the phone Kayden, please,” I muttered.
He went quiet for a moment and then I heard shuffling until Zaine’s quiet voice registered in my ear.
“Hi Becca.”
“Hi Zay.”
“You don’t come round anymore.”
I blinked in shock. He just went straight into it without hesitation. This must’ve been on his mind for a while. “Yeah...I’ve been busy,” I lied. I don’t know what Kayden has told him about us, so I wasn’t entirely sure what to say other than that. “How are you? Being good in school?”
“I’m fine. And yeah, I always am. How’s work?”
“Work is fine, thanks.” I was in awe at how grown Zaine sounded through the phone. He was twelve now, already sounding like a 16-year-old.
“It was always fun when you was here, y’know.”
I nodded like he could see me. “I know, Zay. I really do miss you.”
“Can you come round soon then?”
“Oi,” I heard Kayden warn in the background.
“But she hasn’t been here for long. What’s wrong with her coming?”
Kayden didn’t respond, and I waited to hear what he had to say.
“It’s up to her if she wants to come or not. Stop trying to force her.”
“Becca, tell this guy you’re coming,” Zaine said to me.
I sighed. “I’m not sure about that.”
“But why? Was Kayden being dumb? Should I talk to him?”
I laughed lightly. “No it’s nothing like that, I’ve just got a lot of things to do,” I told him.
He sighed in exasperation. “Alright, maybe I’ll see you in the future sometime.”
I cooed at his disappointed tone. “We’ll see each other soon, don’t worry.”
“Alright gimme the phone. Go bed now,” Kayden ordered.
Zaine huffed and sweetly said, “Bye Becca.”
His glum voice made me frown. “Bye hun.”
Shuffling was heard again and then Kayden came back. “What’s wrong?”
I blinked in confusion. “Hm?”
“You don’t sound like yourself. Did something happen?”
“No Kayden. Don’t worry, it’s nothing.”
He tutted. “I hate that.”  
“Hate what?”
“How you treat everything like it’s nothing. You never tell anyone how you feel.”
“It’s not even like that. I just want to deal with some things on my own.”
“Yeah, I know you’re independent and that, but...” he sighed. “If I find out some fuckboy upset you, I honestly will be angry.”
I paused at the threatening tone. “Why?”
“What do you mean why?” He breathed heavily to try and calm himself. “After what happened between us, I don’t want anyone else to hurt you.”
“What’s our situation got to do with this?”
“I was dumb enough to fuck around. I don’t want you to have to go through that again. It’s not Tyreece, is it?”
I hesitated briefly and decided not to say anything. “Look, I need to sleep. I’m tired. Speak to you soon.”
He was silent for a moment. “Alright. Goodnight.”
I hung up and made sure to switch my phone off.
The following day I met up with Grace in Westfield. She stated that she wanted to do a bit of shopping since she had been stuck in the house for a few days, so I decided to give her some company. Needless to say, as soon as we arrived, she complained about her sore feet, so I brought her to the one place I found solace.
“Why here?” she asked. “Nandos isn’t too far away.”
I glanced around us, then at the Starbucks sign, and shook my head. “That’s so clichĂ© for us. I always bring people here now. It’s not everyday Nandos.”
She looked at me with a raised brow. “Something’s going on with you.”
I shrugged and slipped my jacket off. We got comfortable and ordered some drinks and snacks. They arrived quickly, and I decided to investigate what was currently going on in Grace’s life.
“What’s happening with Chris?” I questioned, sipping on my Mocha Cookie Crumble.
She rolled her eyes and dug into her salad. “He’s back at home now. We spoke for a long time. I told him that he needs to stop the bullshit and if he does it again I won’t want anything to do with him.”
“And what did he say?”
“That he did it because he wanted to clear his head. Apparently it won’t happen again and he’s ready to be serious.” She laughed to herself. “This is his last chance, so I hope he’s not messing about. I don’t mind cutting him out of my life.”
I nodded in understanding. “So are you two still together, or is it for the baby’s sake?”
She stroked her thumb along the glass of her Latte. “I dunno. He really pissed me off. I wanna be with him but if he messes me about again...”
“He won’t.”
She glanced up at me. “How do you know?”
“I know Chris. If he says he’s serious, then he is.”
She pondered this for a moment before sipping her beverage. “Well, he’s got an office job in Hammersmith now, so it’s a start.”
I almost choked on my drink. “Office? Chris?”
“I was shocked too. I don’t know how he found the time when he was busy running about the place, but he’s starting next Monday.”
“That’s really good then. Can’t imagine him in an office though. He’s the type to photocopy his dick and send it to everyone.”
She chuckled. “He mentioned that he wanted to do that.”
I sighed. I knew him too well. But at least he secured a job for now to provide for his child. I suppose miracles can happen.
“Even though he’s a prick for leaving you again, I’m happy he’s finally acting sensible. I reckon he’ll be a good dad,” I told her.
She smiled weakly and thoughtfully took another sip of her drink. “None of this seems real, Becca. I didn’t know I’d fallen for the dude, but it hit me deep, and now everything’s changing. My whole life won’t be the same after this baby is born.”
I couldn’t read her expression, so I patted her hand. “Trust me, after you give birth to this child, you’re not gonna want to spend another minute with anyone else.” She sniffed and I saw her eyes water. I quickly gave her some tissue. “Don’t start crying Grace, you’re meant to be happy.”
She dabbed her eyes gently. “Yeah, sorry...” she laughed quietly. “I don’t even know why I’m crying.”
“Hormones maybe,” I guessed. “I can’t wait to see baby Exodus.”
She abruptly stopped and glared at me. “I already told you I’m not naming my child that.”
“Listen, I said from the get-go, you will have a son and I will call him Exodus...or Zico, depending on how I’m feeling.”
She was about to retaliate but she noticed my smile. Honestly, I’ve known Grace for years and she still couldn’t tell when I was messing about.
“Thanks Becc’s.”
I grinned and we decided to change the subject. As soon as she brought up Tyreece, my smile quickly faded. My eyes drifted down to the half-empty glass and I began to suck through the straw lazily.
“We’re not together,” I mumbled.
What?”
I shrugged, already expecting Grace’s reaction.
“What happened Becc’s?” I breathed heavily and explained the whole scenario; starting with Ty’s behaviour on my mother’s anniversary, to the altercation between him and Kayden, to the conversation I heard between him and Sacha at the track. Once I finished, Grace was sporting a hateful scowl on her face. “That doesn’t sound like Tyreece. Why is he such a prick now?”
“Obviously I made him that way.”
“Don’t you dare blame yourself. I’ll kick you.” I laughed lightly. “That doesn’t mean you’re not together. You should talk to him.”
“Maybe I should mention that he was feeling Sacha up and telling her how big her bum is.”
She shifted back in her chair in disbelief. “Is he dumb? I’ll kick him down y’know.”
I couldn’t help but smile. What is it with Grace and kicking all of a sudden? “It doesn’t matter anyway. If he want’s to end it like that, then fine.”
“Have you told Kayden?”
I quirked a brow. “No. Why would I?”
“I dunno...just thought it’d be something you two would discuss.”
I quickly shook my head. “That’s the last thing I wanna chat about with him. It would turn into something political.”
She smiled gently. “So you’re gonna let him think that you two are still together? For how long?”
“I dunno, Grace. Don’t care either. Kayden has nothing to do with it.”
She gave me a look and sipped her drink. “Is it really over then?”
“Yeah, he made it pretty clear. He can be with Sacha if he wants-...”
“No, I mean you and Kayden.” I gazed at her inquisitively. “There’s really no hope of you two getting back together?” she wondered.
I frowned at that. Why was Grace asking me this now? “No, there isn’t.”
She nodded slowly, mulling something over. One thing about Grace is she always had a thought or plan in her head, and no one ever knew what was on her mind. She was quite suspicious in that sense, but she was highly intelligent, so she’s always able to deduce a situation before anyone else. That’s why I’m always shocked when she asked for advice; she usually knew the best decision already.
I quickly changed the subject. “Me and the girls are going out tomorrow.”
“Where to?”
“Some club in Central. I wish you were coming.”
She shook her head. “I wouldn’t come even if I wasn’t pregnant. You know I’m not about that clubbing life.”
I nodded and noticed her cardigan. “You’re beginning to show now.”
She hummed in thought. “That’s what my mum said. Soon I’m gonna be fat and waddling.”
“But you’ll still be a MILF.” She laughed and I finished the last of my Mocha before standing up. “Now, let’s do some shopping.”
She nodded and finished her food then we left Starbucks. We walked around and Grace picked up a few comfy shoes and baggy clothes for maternity wear. I bought some jewellery and a couple tops, but was more focused on what Grace was purchasing. We left Dorothy Perkins and continued strolling around until I spotted another store we were passing. I lightly grabbed Grace’s wrist, making her halt.
“Let’s go in here,” I suggested.
She looked up at the sign and a smile graced her lips.
“Yeah,” she agreed, and I followed her into Mothercare.
*
The night air was chilly and the streets were full of partygoers; many of them on the brink of drunkenness. I shivered and released a heavy sigh. The queue for the club was gradually shortening, and I found it entertaining when the odd chick got turned away for not having ID or claiming someone else’s passport.
Brooklyn and Natalie were chatting about something, but I was too busy shivering to take notice of their conversation. They both looked amazing though. Natalie wore a cobalt lace bandeau skater dress that accentuated her bust, and Brooklyn was dressed in a black skinny fit jumpsuit that hugged at her slim figure. I glanced down at my blue halter bodycon dress and realised that my chest was extremely out of door. I wrapped my arms around myself and waited patiently to get inside.
Brooklyn turned to me. “You alright?”
I grunted, “I’m freezing. I’ll be fine when the alcohol warms me up.”
Natalie laughed and rubbed over my arms. “That’s the spirit. I can’t be the only one drinking.”
We eventually got inside and I glanced around to see the club was still fairly empty, given it was only after midnight. A few people were already dancing to some R&B, while others sat in VIP areas already drinking.
“Let’s put our bags away,” Brooklyn suggested. We agreed and got our bags stored in the cloak area before heading to the central bar and ordering a few drinks. I drank my Disaronno down with a few gulps and started chewing on the ice.
“Slow down mate,” Brooks said with a chuckle.
“I’m gonna have fun tonight, and no-one’s stopping me,” I declared.
“Same,” Natalie muttered. “People better start showing up soon, I need someone to whine on.”
Brooklyn glared at her. “We came here to have a girls night out, not so you can get fucked.”
“I never even said that!”
“I know what you’re thinking though.” She gave Natalie a knowing look before sipping at her Malibu and Coke.
“That was only one time, let it go,” Nat whined.
I chuckled. “When you ran off with that Spanish dude and left Brooks at the bus stop by herself?”
“It’s not funny,” Brooklyn said with a playful sneer. “She was getting dicked down while I waited out in the cold for 30 minutes. Fuckin’ snake.”
I started laughing and suddenly a familiar melody began to play and Natalie screeched.
“My tuuune,” she grinned. Everyone joined in on the lyrics.

It was all a dream, I used to read Word Up magazine
Salt’n’Peppa and Heavy D up in the limousine
Hangin’ pictures on my wall
Every Saturday Rap Attack, Mr. Magic, Marley Marl
Natalie was already swaying to the music with her drink spilling everywhere. She had always been a fan of old time Hip-Hop, especially Biggie. Brooklyn joined in with the dancing and they somehow ended up on the dance floor with the others.
“And if you don’t know, now ya know, niggaaa!” Natalie sang loudly.
I shook my head. All it took was a sip to get this girl smashed. It wasn’t long before I joined in with the dancing, already on my second drink.
A couple hours later things were beginning to look hazy, but I was too far gone in the music and alcohol to even care. The DJ had a talent for mixing the tunes properly, which hyped everyone even more, and by now the dance floor was packed with hot bodies moving in sync.
Stop Sign by Konshens was playing, and the same rough hands that had been gripping my waist from three songs ago were growing eager. The mysterious body behind me leaned further back on the wall by the DJ booth and pushed his hips into me. I held onto his hands and returned the action, enjoying the feel of a certain stiffness pressing into me.
I continued sipping on my drink through my straw, following the smooth rhythm the man behind me was providing. It would be a lie to say this kind of dance didn’t excite me. My head was swimming with nothing but joyful thoughts and the buzz of alcohol kept my mind at ease. This is all I wanted: to have a fun night out.
Suddenly the steady pace of song changed into something much quicker. Mr Vegas’ Bruk It Down flowed through my ears, and the body behind me began to move quicker, his rhythm becoming erratic to keep up with the flow of the tune. As he moved quicker, my body jolted, causing my drink to spill over my arm. I pulled away and turned to look back for the first time at the mystery man. His features were just about visible in the darkness; the brief flashes of lights from the ceiling making it possible to see his face clearly, if only for a few seconds.
He saw the liquid dripping down my arm and gave an apologetic smile. “Sorry,” he said over the music.
I chuckled. “S’okay. Gettin’ another one,” I told him before walking back to the central bar. I plopped down on the last available seat and smiled at the bartender. He recognised me immediately and flashed a charming smile in return.
“More rum,” I told him, sliding my glass over the wet counter.
I watched as he poured some rum in the glass before looking at me.
“No chaser?”
“A lil bit of Coke. Jussa lil,” I mumbled.
He chuckled and added some Coke to the mix before sliding it back. I grabbed the glass and began to gulp it down.
Considering this was my sixth glass...wait was this even my sixth? Maybe seventh? Who the fuck cares? Point is I felt fine.
I noticed the ice at the bottom was still melting from the last time the drink was poured and swirled it around in the glass. “You seen my friends?” I asked him.
He began wiping the surface and gave a small shrug. “I remember them going to the toilet, but that was ten minutes ago,” he informed me over the thumping music.
Ten minutes? Then where are they now?
“Becc’s?”
Nevermind.
I spun around in the chair and grinned at Natalie and Brooklyn who were stood behind me.
“Where you sexy bitches been?” I asked.
“Toilet. There was a long queue...” Brooklyn raised a brow. “Are you alright?”
I gulped the rest of my beverage down before slamming the glass on the counter. “Fuckin’ great. I’m gonna go grind on that tall dude summore. Come wiv me.”
Natalie sniggered. “But what about Ty?”
“Da fuck is Ty?” I jumped up from the chair and stumbled a little, causing Natalie to hold onto my arm.
“Swear down you’re drunk?” she asked me with an amused smile.
I laughed and shook my head. “Naaah. I’m fine, really.”
“Of course she’s drunk, you’ve been encouraging her this whole time,” Brooklyn told her.
I heard Nat chuckle beside me. “I done said I wasn’t gonna be the only one drinking.”
“But you can handle your drink. Becca can’t.”
“Oi, I can bloody well handle my drink mate,” I muttered. “Come wiv me. I wanna dance wiv that guy again. He has a huge dick.”
“Becca!”
I smiled at Brooklyn’s stunned face and Natalie began to laugh.
“Brooklyn’s been avoiding that Uncle over there.” She nodded towards the elder looking black man who stood right beside my dance partner. He rested against the wall with his hands in his pockets, staring directly at Brooklyn with a predatory grin on his face. My guess was 50. He was at least 50.
I turned back to them. “So what? I won’t let him bother you.”
Brooks rolled her eyes and agreed. They began to head for the dance floor and I paused.
“Wait...” I quickly requested some Vodka with a chaser from my new bartender friend and slipped him some money before joining them again.
“You’re not supposed to mix your drinks. You’re gonna be sick,” Brooklyn scolded.
“’S cool, I don’ get sick,” I told her.
We reached the dance floor once more and I approached the same guy who had been patiently waiting for my return. He gently spun me around and immediately began to rock into me.
“You topped up your drink yeah?” he whispered in my ear.
I nodded with a smile and we continued our sensual dancing...
Cold. I was sat on something solid and...fucking cold, but I wasn’t sure what it was. The world was spinning and spots exploded in my vision so I kept my eyes closed. My head was dizzy with nausea and my feet couldn’t move properly, which is why I sat down.
All noise was distorted and fuzzy. I leaned my head on this cold substance, trying to get to sleep, but the churning in my stomach was making me feel uncomfortable. I steadily breathed through my nose and smelt...rain? It was wet and I was freezing, but my eyes were jammed shut.
“...Becca!”
I shifted my head to listen to that voice. Natalie? No, Brooklyn.
“Becca, you need to get up,” the berating voice said again. Yeah, definitely Brooklyn.
I opened my mouth to speak but my throat was incredibly dry and raw. I coughed and rested on the firm coolness again. The icy surface was really helping the dull throbbing in my skull.
I felt a presence beside me. “She can’t even open her eyes properly.”
My nose twitched at the familiar perfume. That was Natalie.
This hard chair was beginning to hurt my back, but if I stood up now, I would only tumble back down since my legs were practically broken. Where was I anyway?
I opened my mouth once more to speak and found myself mumbling the one thing I needed right now.
“Kayden...” I coughed once more and swallowed hard to rid of the bile taste in my throat.
“We need to get her up, Nat.”
“If we move her she might throw up.”
“Kayden...” I muttered again. He was the only one that could stop this sickly feeling in my stomach. “Kay...den.”
“We need to call a cab,” I heard Brooklyn say.
“She obviously doesn’t want a cab. We should call him instead.”
Nothing was said for a while, and I heard the pitter-patter of the rain along with car engines and heels clicking on the pavement. I peeped open one eye to see both Natalie and Brooklyn crouched beside me, but they were on their side...or maybe I was? None of this made sense, but I didn’t trust my stomach to even try speaking again.
They were staring down at me worriedly as rain continued to fall from the sky. Suddenly Brooklyn leaned closer and I felt her hand rummage through my bag.
Kayden
I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel patiently, waiting for the lights to change. Aaliyah had invited me out clubbing with a few old friends from Secondary. My cousins didn’t show up, and since I had nothing better to do, I accepted. The club was in Central, but I planned to drive to my boy’s first to park the car there and then catch train.
Suddenly my phone vibrated and I noticed the caller ID. Quickly scoping around for any feds, I answered with the phone on loudspeaker.
“Rebecca?”
“Oh, erm...it’s her friend Brooklyn. This is Kayden, right?”
I raised a brow. “Yeah. What’s goin’ on?”
“Would you be able to pick Rebecca up?”
I found myself frowning. “Is she alright?”
“She’s drunk. I can’t get her off the floor right now. She mentioned your name so I thought I’d call you.”
Drunk? I sighed. “Where are you lot?”
“Victoria, by the coach station.”
I checked my surroundings. Luckily I was close by.
“Two minutes,” I told her.
“Great, thanks.”
The lights finally changed to green and I done a swift U-turn. I arrived at the coach station moments later and saw a few partygoers roaming about. I spotted Rebecca and two others by the curb and parked beside them. The girls were hoisting her up as they walked to the car, with Rebecca stumbling along with them, her head hanging low.
My frown deepened and I turned to her light-skinned friend, who I assumed was Brooklyn.
“How much did she drink?”
She instantly looked apologetic. “Quite a lot. She kept getting free drinks.”
After unlocking the doors I pushed it open and allowed them to sit Rebecca inside. Her head bobbed and she hiccupped roughly.
“Tell the truth, did she do anything?” I asked.
They worriedly looked at each other and Natalie sighed. “She was all over these guys at one point. They looked a bit dodgy but we managed to pull her away before anything happened.”
I faced ahead. “Do you two need a lift?”
Brooklyn shook her head. “Nah we’re good. My boyfriend’s coming for us.” I nodded and strapped Rebecca in properly. She sat there lifeless with her eyes closed. “Thanks for this.”
“No, thanks for calling me. I’ll get her home safe.”
They both nodded and I drove off. We ended up in more traffic. I took the time to analyse Rebecca’s state. Her head was lulling from side to side and her breathing was off. I tapped the steering wheel impatiently and looked ahead again.
“I can’t believe you,” I growled.
She simply hiccupped.
I began to drive; slowly at first so the bends and road humps wouldn’t startle her. The last thing I wanted was her throwing up in the car. I opened the two front windows and she began to complain about being cold.
“You need some cool air in your lungs,” I told her.
Rebecca huffed and kept her eyes shut. We eventually reached hers and I helped her out of the car. She could just about drag her legs to walk properly.
“Where are your keys?”
“M-my bag,” she muttered. I fished them out and opened the front door quietly, pulling her inside with me. Her heels clicked along the flooring as she stumbled. “Shh! Don’t...don’t wake my dad. D-don’t...”
“You have to be quiet then.” I scooped her up in my arms and carried her up the stairs to avoid any more noise.
Once we entered her room, I placed her on the bed and began to take her heels off. Her body couldn’t even stay upright at this point. She kicked her heels away and I headed to her drawers to find her pyjama shorts and top. I left them on the bed for her, but her body was slumped over with her head rested on her knees.
“Get changed.”
“Y...you need to help me.”
I paused to look at her. She pointed to the zipper on the back of her dress and my eyes narrowed. I was already frustrated with her, and she was beginning to make it worse.
I helped her up and unzipped the dress. She snorted a quiet laugh.
“What’s funny?”
“Kayden’s undressin’ me,” she murmured. I kissed my teeth and yanked her hand out of the sleeve. “Not’so rough,” she slurred. She shimmied out of the dress and pulled it down her thighs, but I managed to turn away before I could see anything. She at least deserved some decency.
I heard another hiccup and the mattress squeaking. I noticed she had put the top on, but left the shorts. She lay on the bed and rolled over to her stomach. The way her ass jutted out with the black lacy thong barely concealing it really got to me.
“Gotta headache,” she grumbled.
Without any words, I headed downstairs to the kitchen, careful not to make a sound. I retrieved two Nurofen tablets from the cupboard, accompanied by a glass of water, before heading back upstairs. Rebecca had changed positions, now resting on her side and facing the door. I stood by the bed.
“Sit up and take these,” I ordered coldly.
She looked up at me with half-lidded eyes and studied me for a brief moment. “Where you comin’ from?”
I raised a brow.
“You look nice,” she admired before dragging her body to sit upright.
“I was at home.” It wasn’t a lie. She didn’t need to know where I was heading to at the time. I gave her the tablets and she gulped them down. “Drink the whole thing. You need water in your system.” She sighed and obeyed, gulping the rest of the water before leaving her glass on the side. “I bet you didn’t eat either. You’re not supposed to drink on an empty stomach.”
“Startin’ to sound like my dad.” I gave her a look and she scratched her head. “What? There’s nothin’ wrong wiv me,” she grumbled. “All I did was drink.”
I narrowed my eyes. “Don’t fuck around, Rebecca. Anything could have happened to you.”
She collapsed back on the bed. “But nothin’ did.” Then she glanced at me with a languid smile. “Calm ya tits, Kayden.”
I shot up and headed for the door.
“Wait! Don’t go...”
I paused and heard her grumbling.
“...I feel sick. D-don’t leave me yet.”
I closed the door and faced her. “There’s nothing wrong with having a drink, but fucking know your limit.”
“I know...” she suddenly looked remorseful. “I know, but...I...y-you know I don’t usually drink,” she gurgled.
I sat on the edge of the bed. “Why are you drunk then?”
She lay there silently for a moment and I thought she’d fallen asleep until she grumbled, “...it’s Tyreece.”
I glanced at her.
“Tyreece...I...I saw Ty and...” she drifted off and hiccupped again with a resigned sigh before finally admitting, “He was havin’ fun, so I wanted to have fun too.”
I didn’t say anything. There was a piece of information she missed out—probably on purpose—that made her react this way. All I could gather was that this was somehow Tyreece’s fault. I wanted nothing more than to punch him up, maybe worse, since he didn’t learn his lesson the last time. Even so, Rebecca knew better than to drink herself comatose. Her idea of fun was too extreme.
She suddenly reached behind her and pulled the duvet back. “Lie wiv me, Kayden. Please.”
“That’s not a good idea.”
“Jus’ to rub my stomach...it hurts,” she whined quietly.
I breathed heavily and lay behind her, draping my arm over her body to rest on her warm stomach. After giving it a few strokes, she physically relaxed. She rested her hand on mine and sighed contently, and that made me loosen up as well.
I noticed our position. “Isn’t this unfair to your boyfriend?” I asked.
“He can go fuck himself,” she grumbled. “Ty is a...is a prick. I don’t care about him anymore.”
“You do care. That’s why you’re like this...” I suddenly realised something. “And that’s why you was acting weird over the phone. It was him, wasn’t it?”
She didn’t answer me at first. “He’s a prick. He’s such a...he’s...” she gave up trying to insult him and huffed. “I hate him. He really hurt me, Kayden.”
As much as I wanted to know what happened, I decided not to pry. Instead I grunted, “You could never hate him.”
She rubbed my hand and sighed. The fact that she didn’t answer confirmed it. She loved Tyreece too much to hate him. Getting drunk was some form of escapism for Rebecca; an excuse to shelter her issues without actually having to deal with them properly. It was common, but I never expected her to be so careless.
Speaking of careless...
“What happened at the club?”
“Nothin’. Had fun wiv my girls.”
“Did any man try talk to you?”
She hummed in thought. “A couple, I think. They kept givin’ me drinks ‘n stuff.”
“And what else?”
“They kept tryna take me places.”
I froze at how suspect that sounded. “What did these boys look like?” I quietly asked.
“I don’t really remember,” she said with a hint of confusion. “I was too far gone, they just kept tryna drag me away, an’ your bitch friend Aaliyah was wiv ‘em.”
My suspicions were growing. These people must be Kenneth, Nicholas and the others. Considering Rebecca’s state, it could be possible that she was just seeing shit, but something about this story didn’t sound right, and what her friend had mentioned before triggered more thoughts.
“She was all over these guys at one point. They looked a bit dodgy but we managed to pull her away before anything happened.”
Them lot were always up to no good when they went out as a group. I was supposed to meet Aaliyah today in Central, so why would she be with Kenneth, fully knowing that we didn’t talk? Unless...
“You don’t call me Ree anymore.”
Rebecca’s mumbling made me lose my train of thought. “You told me not to.”
“So you listen to everythin’ I tell you?”
“I’m stupid enough to, yeah.”
It fell silent. I took the time to listen to her soft breathing as I rubbed her belly, making her sigh occasionally.
“Kayden...”
“Feeling better?”
“Mmhm.”
Then she was quiet again. A few minutes passed with no words exchanged. I began to wonder how I ended up in this situation, and quickly realised I left Aaliyah hanging. Really and truly I should be out right now, but Rebecca’s wellbeing was more important.
“Kayden...”
“Hm?”
Her fingers rested on the crook of her neck. “K...kiss me here. Kiss me right on my neck like...like you used to.”
I raised a brow at her odd speech. “Don’t be dumb.”
“You listen to me though,” she reasoned. “I’ll feel better if you do it. Kiss me right...here.”  Her finger tapped the vein on her neck. “Right here, Kayden. This spot.”
I sighed heavily. Even in her inebriated state, her voice was still so seductive. She wasn’t in her right frame of mind right now, and I didn’t want to take advantage, but... “Why do you have to be drunk?” I whispered.
Her lidded eyes gazed at me. “Kiss me there, Kayden.”
I leaned closer and smelled the perfume still lingering on her skin. I rested my lips on that same area, right where her vein was, and softly kissed her neck. Her body stiffened and she moaned quietly. Blood rushed straight to my groin. It’s been a long time since I’ve heard her make that kind of noise. Such a sexy sound.
I pulled away and saw the vein pulsing. She sighed and felt that spot.
“Do it again, Kayden. K-Kiss my neck again. Right there. Please...”
I obeyed and kissed the same place, giving gentle pecks up the length of her slender neck, then kissed the ticklish spot behind her ear, making her shudder.
Why did I listen? Did she really have that much control over me? Had it always been this way from the beginning? I always did everything for her sake. If it wasn’t to protect her, it was to simply make her happy, and it was always on her terms. I didn’t mind at the time because I knew it was what she wanted: to remain friends and keep our friendship strong.
She was the one who steered our relationship forward. The only thing I managed to control was her sexual satisfaction, like I was doing now. But even so, it felt like she was taking that control. I was surrendering to her all over again, listening to her every word.
Rebecca angered me, yet I wanted nothing more than to make her feel pleasure.
She moaned louder this time, pressing her body against me. When I pulled away she panted softly. Her fingers drifted to her collarbone.
“K-Kiss me on my...here,” she pleaded quietly, “on my collarbone, like you used to do...”
“Rebecca...” I leaned up on my elbow and looked at her. Her speech was still off, and she probably didn’t realise what she was saying.
“Kiss me there, Kayden...”
I analysed her neck, wet with my kisses, then looked at her collarbone. My eyes shifted up to her face. She was staring right at me...waiting...anticipating. She was panting hard with parted lips and half-open eyes. Something in me snapped. I quickly got between her legs and gripped her wrists, bringing my face close to hers. Her eyes widened a fraction in shock and she pulled against my grip.
I leaned down. “You really do piss me off,” I growled on her skin before kissing her desired spot.
She arched up into me and her body trembled. “Mmmmh,” she groaned.
My groin pulsed again. I sucked on her tender skin and she tilted her head back, her breaths growing heavier. With her body writhing underneath me, I began to react even stronger, rocking against her and biting into her skin, causing her to gasp.
“Aaahhh...G-God...”
“What would Tyreece say about this?” I whispered.
“N...nothing. Not wiv him,” she rasped quietly.
I kissed up her neck. “Are you just saying that?”
She quickly shook her head.
Kissing along her jaw, I released her wrists and trailed one hand down her side, using the other to keep her head in place by her chin. She quivered, releasing quiet groans of pleasure.
My mind knew this was wrong, but my body deeply craved hers.
Then she shifted her hips, rubbing my erection with her centre and making me hiss.
“Fuck...” I pulled away and saw red patches of skin from where I sucked hard on her neck, and a few teeth marks on her collarbone.
Rebecca breathed heavily, saliva running down her chin as she remained in a state of ecstasy. “Why did you stop?” she asked in a throaty voice.
I looked away and shut my eyes momentarily. I needed to keep calm before I did anything else to her. “Go to sleep.”
“Kiss me first.”
I glared at her. “You don’t know what you want.”
“Yeah I do.”
I watched her lips and found myself licking my own. “What happens if I kiss you?”
She watched me for a moment, confused by the question. “I’ll kiss you back.”
That wasn’t the kind of response I was hoping for. I huffed and moved from between her legs.
“You not gonna?” she asked quietly.
“No. I don’t know what happened between you and Tyreece, but if you’re just looking to spite him, then I’m not involved.”
“Kayden...”
“You can’t use me to get back at your man. What the fuck do I look like?”
She winced and looked away. I sat on the edge of the bed and decided to cool down. It was my fault for being weak and letting my own desire control me. As long as Rebecca is around me, I can never keep a clear head.
“When you’re actually sure about what...who you want...then tell me. But don’t think just because you’ve had a falling out that it’s over between you two. I’m not a little boy to be messed around with like that.”
She looked contrite, but nodded all the same.
“I shouldn’t have done that, so that was my fault. But I’m glad it was me and not a next man from the club.” I gave a stern glare. “I don’t want to see you in this state again.”
“Okay,” she mumbled.
I released a heavy sigh. “Just go to sleep.”
She watched me in worry. “Will you still be here in the mornin’?”
I averted her gaze and looked out the window. “Yeah.”
“Please don’t leave.”
“I won’t.” I covered her over with the duvet. “Goodnight, Rebecca.”
She began to drift off instantly. “Kayden...” she murmured sleepily. “I’m sorry...”
It was a sincere apology. I watched her face, still mixed with sorrow and regret, and I lay close to her. Then I fell asleep, listening to her soft snores.

No comments:

Post a Comment