Thursday 7 January 2016

Chapter forty-five

Becca
Everything became still in that split second. My throat had dried and all the nerves in my body froze. The moment my eyes locked with Ty’s, I knew this wouldn’t be solved with calm words and apologies. I quickly frowned at my own thoughts. Why would I even think about apologising? I’ve done nothing wrong.
So why did I feel even an ounce of guilt?
I slowly glanced back to Kayden, who was still fixated on Tyreece. I couldn’t decipher his expression, but he didn’t look too happy.
I sighed and stepped out the car, not bothering to say a word to Kayden. I closed the door and approached Tyreece. He was stood in the same spot by the front door; breathing heavily, brows furrowed, unmoving. The way he glared at me made my heart ulcer. He was making this slow walk towards him feel like judgement day.
Once I got close enough, I could clearly see his nostrils flaring with each shaky breath, and the tensing of his jaw.
“What the fuck is this?” he asked in a low tone.
Hearing the anger in his voice made me arch a brow. He had no right to be angry. I quickly remembered what today was and sighed. Having to deal with Tyreece’s violent jealousy was not on the agenda. Right then, the guilt I had felt crumbled. I didn’t have time for this behaviour.
“Don’t start, Ty. Seriously.”
“Answer my question, Becc’s. Explain to me why you were sat in that yout’s car!”
The aggressive tone frustrated me even more. “Who do you think you’re raising your voice at?”
“You’re not answering my fucking question.”
I looked back at Kayden who was still sat in the car watching us through the window. I could tell by that unyielding expression on his face that he would not drive off until this issue was resolved. The stubborn look in his eyes confirmed it.
“Don’t look at him. I’m chatting to you,” he bellowed loudly. I faced Tyreece again. “Where are you coming from? After I told you to stay away from this yout.”
“You can’t tell me what to do,” I stated simply. “If I want to spend time with a friend, then I can.”
“Are you taking the piss, Rebecca? That yout isn’t your friend.”
“That’s three times now,” I heard Kayden say from behind. I remained frozen at the sound of his footsteps crunching on the leaves as he walked towards us. I slowly turned to see him getting closer now, hands in pockets. “If I hear you call me a yout again I’m gonna have to do something.”
Ty’s eyes narrowed in disdain. The hatred he felt for Kayden was evident, and he didn’t bother to hide it.
Kayden stepped in front of me now, squaring right up to Tyreece so they were a foot-length apart. “I’m right here. Talk to me if you have a problem,” he stated firmly.
Tyreece sneered and stared Kayden dead in the eye. “Nah, I ain’t got nothing to say to you.”
“Don’t lemme hear you chat to her like that again.”
“Mind your fucking business.”
“Stop,” I hissed loudly. My family were literally on the other side of this door. I didn’t want them to hear any of this.
Tyreece looked past him to glare at me instead. “Why’s he here, Rebecca? I done told you how I felt about this boy being around you.”
Kayden stepped in front of me, staring directly into his face. “If you did your fucking job properly she wouldn’t have to call me.”
I heard Tyreece’s heavy breathing. “Get out my face, man.”
Kayden stepped even closer. “Instead of bitching to her, do suttin’ about it.”
Suddenly Ty raised both arms and shoved Kayden hard in the chest, pushing him back a few feet. I watched in awe as Kayden slowly removed his hands from his pockets, seemingly unaffected by the thrust, but angered nonetheless.
“Oi...” I warned quietly.
In a flash, Kayden went for Ty, forcedly slamming him against the front door of the house. He gripsed him by his jumper firmly, staring him dead in the eye with malice. I rushed forward to try and calm him down.
“Kayden, stop.”
“Listen here, you fuckboy. The only reason I’m here is because I took her to Ruth’s grave.” He breathed heavily, staring directly at Ty, who clutched onto his sweatshirt in return. “You didn’t even know about that, did you? Cos you was too fucking busy worrying about your damn self!”
I swallowed hard and watched as Ty sneered in his face, unable to say anything.
“Hate me all you fucking want, but don’t take shit out on her, she doesn’t deserve it. If you cared about her, you’d remember what today was. Don’t fucking upset her on a day like this. And don’t let me catch you swearing at her again. You hear me?”
“Kayden. Leave it, please.”
He pushed him hard against the door before releasing him and stepping away. Ty rubbed at his throat, still carrying a hateful screw. Kayden approached me, hands in pockets once again.
“I’ll call you,” he grunted.
I nodded wordlessly and he walked off. I didn’t turn back. Time slowed once more; I heard him enter the car then his tyres screeched as he sped off.
It was silent between us. I analysed Ty, taking in the state of him. His lip was twisted in a livid sneer, the vein in his temple throbbed excessively and his fist tightened as he straightened out his dishevelled jumper.
I walked past Ty and stood on the doorstep, not feeling the slightest bit remorseful about what just happened.
“If you knew about today, you’d know why I called you.” He remained silent, still rubbing at his throat. “You decided to put training first.” I walked past him and opened the door with my keys. “And don’t ever shout at me again,” I said before closing the door behind me. I rested against the door and exhaled deeply. After a few seconds I looked through the peephole to see Ty walking back to his car and driving off.
Kieran immediately came down the stairs. “I heard banging on the door. What happened?”
“Nothing, it was just Ty. He’s gone now,” I said quietly. I walked off in a daze and he followed me into the kitchen.
“Did you go to see mum?”
I nodded as I warmed up the patty dad had bought from the Caribbean shop earlier.
“Why didn’t you tell me? I would’ve come with you.”
I shrugged. “Thought you’d be busy.”
“Nah, been in my room this whole time.” He glanced at his watch and walked towards the door. “I’m gonna go there now before it gets dark.”
I sat at the table and began to eat. “Where’s Andre?”
“Gone out.”
I raised a brow. “Where?”
“He didn’t tell me. He left right after you did.”
I huffed. “He better be with mum.”
“I’ll check when I’m there init. See you later yeah?”
“Bye.”
I heard the door shut and ate in silence, still in disbelief at the altercation between Kayden and Ty. I wasn’t expecting either of them to react the way they did. Tyreece was usually calm and understanding. It was obvious he still didn’t trust me with Kayden, but I already gave him the chance to end things if it really bothered him that much. He told me we could move on, but he was clearly still caught up in this obsessive-jealous stage.
As for Kayden...I was still stunned. Those words he had said were basically true. I never thought Ty would get to him that much, but I was grateful for his defence. He claimed he had changed for the better, but I saw that rowdy persona shine out of him.
I was just glad it didn’t get any worse.
A couple hours later I was resting in bed. Dad was still out on call, and had called to say he would be home around midnight. Kieran had returned some time ago, reporting that he didn’t see Andre while he was at the grave. Basically his whereabouts was a mystery at the moment, but I vowed to myself that I would deal with him later.
I turned on my side and sighed down the phone. Grace was finally serious about her decision, and it concerned me.
“Are you sure?” I asked her.
“It’s been a week. I gave Chris a chance. He’s not back, so I’m done.”
I frowned at her tone. “Grace...”
“No, Becca. He can stay wherever he is, I don’t care anymore.”
I breathed deeply. I remember Grace telling me about giving Chris a week to prove himself. Since he still wasn’t back, Grace was going to end it with him. That conversation seemed like so long ago now. “Okay... It’s only fair.”
“Damn right. I told my mum, by the way.”
My eyes widened. I never knew she would be brave enough to tell her mum about the pregnancy this early. “How did she react? What did she say?”
“She didn’t say anything at first, then she started crying. Then she asked who the dad is. When I told her, she was silent for a long time. Then she hugged me and we spoke for time. Mixed emotions, basically.”
“I was expecting that.”
“It’s okay. She said she’s here for me. I’m surprised I didn’t get beaten up.”
I smiled weakly. “Same here. I’m glad she’s alright though.”
“Yeah.” Suddenly she paused on the phone. “Hang on, Becc’s. Someone rang the doorbell.”
“Alright.” I waited patiently and heard Grace’s TV in the background. As I played with my nails, she eventually came back to the phone.
“I’m gonna have to call you back.”
“Why, what’s wrong?”
“It’s Chris. He’s outside.”
I paused for a moment and realised that she was being serious. “Are you gonna let him in?”
“I don’t want to.”
“Grace. Open the door and let him in.”
She sighed. “Speak to you later.”
She hung up and I laid there in shock. Chris had returned just like that, out of the blue, just as we were talking about him. I wasn’t sure if that was a coincidence or not. It was as if he knew about the deadline Grace had given him. I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was going to give him a hard time. He deserved it though, I was sick of him running away and disappearing for weeks. Hopefully they could sort things out.
Just then I heard the front door shut. If I hadn’t been changing channels on the TV, I wouldn’t have noticed the floorboards creaking. Knowing it was Andre I headed straight downstairs to see him removing his jacket.
“Its 2AM, where the hell did you go for so long?”
He glanced up to see me stood on the stairs with my arms folded before grunting, “Out.”
I watched him with a raised brow. “You didn’t even go to see mum.”
“Had to sort out somethin’.”
My heart thumped and I felt my muscles tense. “What?”
“You deaf? I had more important things to do init.”
I quickly descended the stairs and pinned him against the wall, causing him to bang his head. “Don’t you dare say mum ain’t important.”
His eyes narrowed and he sneered. “Get off me Becca.”
“Take that back, Andre. Take it back or I swear to God.”
“Get the fuck off me.”
I gripped onto his shirt tightly, feeling a mix of emotions welling up inside me. My vision clouded with tears and my chest became heavy with fury. “TAKE IT BACK!”
He grabbed my arms and began to dig his nails into my skin. “Fucking get off me!”
Kieran came bolting down the stairs and managed to drag me away before I could throw a punch. “Oi Becc’s, calm yourself man!”
Andre noticed the buttons I had popped off his shirt and scowled. He pushed away from the wall and stood there as I struggled against Kieran’s grip.
“You prick! How dare you disrespect Mum, you fucking dickhead!”
His eyes portrayed no remorse or sorrow. Instead he headed upstairs, and I watched his every move as he got further and further away.
“I don’t care,” he finally said as he reached the top of the stairs. “I hate you lot. Stay out my business and don’t fucking come near me.”
I froze at the spiteful warning and paused altogether, slowing my actions and feeling my heart beat faster at the lingering words that rung clear in my ears.
I don’t care...
I hate you lot...
I slipped out of Kieran’s grip, ignoring his words about talking to Andre on a level. What good would that do? Andre would only react the same way and may end up trying to fight Kieran. He was fifteen now, and his persona was beginning to drastically change into something menacing and hostile. It was a gradual transformation, and we had all noticed it from a few months back, however it all seemed to happen in the blink of an eye. His demeanour, his body language, his threatening words...everything was slowly changing, and no one knew why.
I sunk to the floor and felt a stinging pain in my forearms from Andre’s nails digging my skin. As much as I wanted to run after him and give him the beating of his life, as much as I wanted to ground him and forbid him from leaving the house...I couldn’t. He would fight back, and Dad was just about managing to control his sudden temper. He wasn’t the same playful Andre I could banter with anymore. He wasn’t the Andre I knew.
I reached up to touch my wet cheeks and realised I had been crying the whole time. Not because of Andre’s outburst. Something else was making my chest ache.
“You deaf? I had more important things to do init.”
But what was more important than our late mother’s anniversary?
Never had Andre been so disrespectful. I was beginning to realise that he was changing for the worse.
Mum...what’s happening to him?
*
The next day I woke up in a bad mood so I took a sick day off work. Andre had been missing from his room since the early morning and his phone was switched off. Dad promised to retrieve him and discipline him once he was done with work, but I knew that wouldn’t really change anything.
Brooklyn and Natalie were currently in my room, despite the fact that I told them I wasn’t feeling too great. I found myself drifting in and out of conversation, not particularly bothered to chat with them. Natalie had already spoken about Grace and was now busy mentioning something about work, or probably something to do with men, or sex...I didn’t frigging know.
“Becc’s?”
I glanced up and blinked at her. “Hm?”
“You look half-dead.”
I rested my head on the pillow. “I told you I’m not feeling well.”
“Ah, you were being serious?” Brooklyn muttered. “I thought it was a lie to get out of work.”
It was...but now I actually felt ill. I hate irony.
I grumbled in response and turned on my side.
Nat rubbed my back. “Aww bubba. Want us to go shop for you?”
“Nah. I just had painkillers.” They both cooed and I glared at them both. “Stop being so gay.”
Brooklyn laughed and rested her head on my hip, getting comfortable on the bed. “How did it go yesterday?”
I was suddenly reminded of the mad Sunday I spent and couldn’t help frowning. It had started off horrible with the family, and I felt so out of place at church. We were miserable and couldn’t wait for the day to end. Then it became decent when I went to the grave with Kayden...then it turned shit again with the whole Tyreece fiasco—who still hasn’t bothered to contact me—and Andre added the icing on the cake with his bullshit behaviour.
“Shit,” I finally answered. “Apart from visiting the grave with Kayden. It was a bit weird though cos-...”
“Pause. Rewind... Kayden?” Natalie raised a brow.
“Yeah. Tyreece was busy so...” I shrugged.
“Did he not know about it?” Brooks questioned.
“Apparently not. I called to ask him to follow me but he was training so he locked off.”
Brooklyn scoffed. “What a prick.”
“So what does this mean?” Natalie asked.
I quirked a brow. “What does what mean?”
“Did Kayden remember the anniversary?”
“I think so.” I gave a shrug. “He was coaching at the time but had planned to leave early so he could see me anyway.” Natalie and Brooklyn exchanged a sly look, but I caught it right away. “What?”
Brooklyn dismissed it completely. “What happened after? Did he come back here?”
“Yeah. By the time we got back, Ty was waiting outside the front door.” Natalie’s eyes widened and Brooklyn’s head inclined so far back she almost fell off the bed. Their reactions were always so dumb, but it made me smile a little. I told them what went down and Brooklyn whistled in awe.
“That’s some mix-up. I thought Tyreece was more calm than that.”
“So did I, to be honest,” I grumbled. Thinking about Ty’s behaviour irritated me all over again. “He was being a prick. Haven’t spoken to him yet.”
Natalie was silent for a moment. “Who would win in a fight between Kayden and Ty?”
I glared and was about to give her a stern warning, but Brooklyn quickly said: “Ty. He’s an athlete.”
Natalie chuckled. “So? We don’t know what Kayden’s like.”
Brooks hummed in thought. “True. I’ve seen him a couple times. He’s in good shape.”
“I think they’re on par with each other.”
“Yeah, but one of them has to be stronger.”
“It might be Kayden.”
“I think Ty. He’s usually gentle, but you know how them quiet ones stay.”
“Ah, yeah. Kayden seems more aggressive though. He’s not as hench as Ty, but I still think he’s stronger.”
“Why though?”
“Think about it. Tyreece has built all that muscle but he doesn’t know what to do with it.”
“He’s always hittin’ gym, you never know.”
“You lot can piss off and take this bullshit conversation with you,” I growled.
They both turned to me and laughed. Brooklyn hugged me tight. “Sorry, Becc’s.”
Natalie crawled closer and hugged me also. “What’s gonna happen with you and Ty then?”
Brooklyn scoffed. “Forget that. I wanna know what’s going on with Kayden.”
I watched them both before turning away. I couldn’t answer either of those questions because I didn’t know myself. Tyreece has been frustrating me lately, and we’d hit a rough patch after a year of being together. I admit, things had gone much smoother without Kayden around, but that was only cos I forced myself to forget about him. That didn’t do me any good. He was here to stay, and has apparently changed for the better. I appreciate the sacrifices he’s made; he seemed more mature. Even so, I can’t see myself with him. I preferred our friendship. Plus...I couldn’t do that to Ty.
“Dunno,” I grumbled.
“Liar,” Nat muttered. “Whatever init. I wanna discuss next week.”
I looked at her. “What’s next week? Another deadline?”
“Nah. Well, yeah. But I’m chatting about having fun. It’s exam season soon so I wanna get hella turnt next week.”
Brooklyn laughed. “Have you finished your Media work though?”
“Nah. I still wanna get drunk though.”
“Same,” she agreed with a happy sigh.
I rolled my eyes at the both of them. Fair enough, as an older teen it was the norm to go clubbing and have fun. I didn’t mind, but usually whenever I went out things never ended well.
Plus there was the whole Marik situation...
“Where to?” I asked warily.
Nat hesitated briefly. “I’m thinking somewhere in Central. Maybe Moonlighting?”
“That cheap one?” Brooks asked. “I’ve heard it’s live there.”
“Me too. Even if it isn’t we could just go Storm or Rise anyway,” Natalie reasoned with a shrug.
I kissed my teeth at these dumbass club names and realised something. “Next Saturday?” They both nodded. “I’m working till evening.”
“Friday then,” Brooklyn said.
“Working late.”
“So basically you don’t wanna come,” Natalie mumbled with a screw.
I shrugged. She was technically right. Mainly because of the shitty day I had yesterday and the shitty way I was feeling today; I couldn’t see myself clubbing right now, or next week for that matter.
“Just saying. By the time I finish work I’ll be tired.”
Natalie huffed. “When did you turn so friggin’ boring?”
I tutted and roughly pushed her off me, causing her to roll off the bed with a loud thud. Brooklyn started laughing at her, and I smirked at the painful groans coming from the floor. Even though I was feeling down, I could always depend on these two to cheer me up with their foolishness...
Later on that day I received a call from Kayden. At the time I answered the call, I was still thoroughly pissed off with Andre’s disappearance, and Dad had gone out with Kieran to look for him, so I was home alone. Hearing Kayden’s voice was relieving somehow, and I managed to calm down instantly.
“You alright?” he asked quietly.
“Mmhm. What about you, Hulk?”
He chuckled deeply. “I wish I could say I’m sorry about yesterday, but I’m not.”
I sighed heavily. “I know.”
“Have you spoken to him?”
“Not yet.”
His tone changed. “He better apologise soon, for his sake.”
“That all depends. He can be stubborn.”
It was silent for a while. I listened to his light breathing through the phone and sighed, feeling comfortable with the stillness. We didn’t really need to talk much, but we were capable of staying on the phone for hours, just like old times.
“You was gonna tell me something yesterday,” he muttered.
I quickly remembered the conversation I had with Chanel about Marik and swore that I would let Kayden know. My life was literally in danger because of this, and it shocked me that I hadn’t even told him yet. I opened my mouth, ready to mention it, but instead I found myself blurting out something completely different.
“Moonlighting.”
He paused momentarily. “Hm?”
I quietly cursed to myself and continued to ramble. “Moonlighting...I might be going there with my friends next week...”
Am I dumb? I wasn’t even planning to go! I already told the girls I wouldn’t, so why the fuck...?
“Are you tryna invite me?”
I paused. That was a good question. “Erm...”
“I can’t anyway. Got family coming down next weekend.”
I wasn’t sure if I felt relieved or disappointed. “Ah.”
“I’m surprised you’re telling me.”
“Yeah...same.”
He chuckled and I smiled at that laugh I used to adore. We continued talking and I relaxed into the conversation. I loved how we could chat crap to each other just like we used to. I suddenly remembered his job and decided to change topic.
“How did the work placement go today?”
He sighed heavily. “It was long. Nine-year-olds are too active.”
I laughed at how exasperated he sounded. “That’s the whole point. P.E is supposed to be active.”
“Mm. They all listened to me though.”
“I hope you didn’t shout at them.”
“Nah, I think they were intimidated.” I laughed at that and he grunted. “Got a cramp in my leg now. I was moving about too much.”
I chuckled. “How unfit are you? Do you even do warm ups and stretches?”
“Are you doubting my abilities as a coach?”
“Yes. Maybe you just need a massage.”
He was silent for a moment. “I remember you being good at them.”
I swallowed hard at what he was hinting in a roundabout way. Either he was expecting me to offer a massage, or he was reminding me of how close we once were. Either way, I wasn’t about to fall into any trap. I gave a tense laugh in reply.
“What’s wrong?” he suddenly asked.
“What d’you mean?”
“You’re different today.”
I quirked a brow. “Different how?”
“Barely talking. I know it’s not just the Tyreece thing. Sounds like your throat’s sore. Are you ill or somethin’?”
I was stunned at his good hearing. My sore throat wasn’t that obvious, so I was surprised he noticed. “Oh. Yeah I am. Had a headache for like three hours now.”
“Have you taken anything?”
“Yeah but nothing’s worked. It’s actually starting to feel like a migraine.”
“You might have to go doctors.”
I tutted at that.  Kayden of all people knew how I felt about the doctors. I hate visiting my GP. I’ve always been independent and managed to deal with illnesses by myself. Mum was a nurse and could always determine what was wrong with us, so I picked up on home treatments and remedies after her death. I haven’t gotten used to relying on anyone else when it came to sickness. I briefly remembered lying in the hospital bed after the shooting at Footlocker. I had suffered slight head trauma and had to take time off work. At the time, Kayden was still missing, and Tyreece had been by my side through it all.
“I might consider it,” I muttered.
“Nah, make sure you go if it gets any worse. You can’t be stubborn about this, Rebecca.”
I raised a brow. “Since when were you my guardian?”
“Since always,” he said with a light chuckle. He suddenly paused and I heard beeping. “Someone’s calling. I’ll holler later, yeah?”
“Yeah alright.”
“Take care.”
“I will. Bye.”
He hung up and I stared at my screen for a few seconds. That concerned tone of his left me baffled. Even though I was joking about the guardian thing, that’s actually what it felt like. He was always protective over me when we were together, but this was slightly different. It was as if he knew his place; simply telling me as it is like a worried friend, and not a controlling partner.
Kayden
I switched the call to Aaliyah and heard her gentle breathing through the phone.
“What’s good?”
“Nothing,” she huffed. “I’m bored. Are you coming round?”
I checked outside to see the sky darkening. “You left it a bit late this time.”
“Check your phone.”
I looked at the screen to see five unread text messages and several missed calls. The voicemail sign popped up. Aaliyah must have been trying to get through to of me all this time. I didn’t clock until now. I’ve spent the whole day working or with family. Even when I turned my phone on the first thing I did was call Rebecca, just to check up on her.
“I was busy.”
“Nice apology,” she muttered sarcastically.
I noticed her stubborn childish tone. “How old are you?”
“Whatever! How are you gonna make it up to me?”
I could already sense what she was getting at. “What would you want me to do?”
“Well, to be honest, it’s been a week now, so...”
“A week since what?” I teased.
She whined impatiently. “Stop being dumb! Since we beat.”
I chuckled. “Are you saying you want me, Li? Someone’s roasting.”
“Argh! Are you coming or not?”
“I’ll cum if you want me to.”
She kissed her teeth but a laugh slipped out. “You give me a headache, y’know.”
Hearing that instantly reminded me of Rebecca and her migraine. She sounded so exhausted through the phone, and I had the strong urge to make her feel better. I noticed how casual she acted, as if trying to ignore her own sickness. Maybe it was so I wouldn’t realise. Rebecca was always stubborn when it came to things like that. I know she would prefer to suffer in silence instead of getting help from her GP.
“Kayden?”
I realised I was still on the phone. “Hm?”
“Come round please,” she begged in a low voice.
I thought about how this day could end. I’d drive to Aaliyah’s; she would be wearing something revealing and seductive. Probably push me down on the sofa, straddling me. We’d kiss for a bit, then she’d give me head. I would probably take her right there on that chair and have a few rounds. Afterwards she would make me a snack, and we’d chill, watching films until she fell asleep.
That’s not what I wanted, though.
The idea of relaxing in bed with Rebecca seemed far better instead. No sex, nothing romantic or sensual. Just being there in her presence, cuddling her, stroking her hair, and soothing her migraine while having a calm chat. Maybe listening to music or watching TV. I didn’t mind what it was, as long as she was with me. Having a platonic relationship with Rebecca didn’t seem like a bad idea. We were slowly going back to the old days again, which is basically what I wanted.
“Can’t. Need to get an early night,” I lied.
Aaliyah sighed heavily. “Alright. Tomorrow maybe?”
“We’ll see. Night, Li.”
“Goodnight.”
I locked off and thought about the decision I made. Usually I’d go to Aaliyah’s without hesitation, just for the opportunity to fuck. It was literally an excuse to take my mind off Rebecca, but it never worked. Things were changing though. I didn’t want to use Li for that purpose anymore.
I don’t mind having sex with Aaliyah—it was normal now—but I also don’t want to ruin what we’ve had for the past twelve years. She’s had feelings for me in the past, and I didn’t want to lead her on again.
Then there’s Rebecca. It didn’t feel right doing things with Li when all I thought about was her. Whenever Aaliyah sucked on my piece, all I could picture was Rebecca’s warm mouth and tongue instead. While Aaliyah rode me and kissed my neck, I felt Rebecca’s wide hips shifting and saw the sexual faces she made as she reached her orgasm. Every time it was over, that image of her would vanish, and Aaliyah would reappear.
She was messing with my head without even being around. It was obvious how I felt about her, but our friendship was more important.
I looked back at my phone and decided to text her.
— I can make some fresh ginger tea for u tomorrow if u want
She quickly replied;
— What for?
I smiled at that. Once again, she was ignoring the pain she was in.
— Your migraine. You wont go doctors so I might aswell
She took longer to reply this time.
— How did you know?
I didn’t realise what I had typed until I actually sent it.
— Cos I know u.
Becca
A week later I had gone back to the usual routine of work. Chanel still had not returned since she was recovering from her ordeal and battling her demons. I wasn’t sure what she had told the manager, but he seemed to be aware of her absence. As far as I knew, she hadn’t gotten in trouble for her long time off work, which was good.
My painful migraines came and went, just like Andre. He was barely in the house these days. He would stay at a ‘friends’ and come back for a few hours before leaving again without anyone noticing. No matter what dad said, it didn’t change a thing. Apparently he was no longer a threat.
Kayden made sure to check up on my health every other day. He was like a stressed out mother, which I found hilarious. If I wasn’t doing coursework or chatting to him, I was talking to the girls instead. I haven’t heard from Tyreece since the situation on my mother’s anniversary, which shocked me a bit.
I was stuck with Javon most days. We would often swap shifts so I could leave early in order to go see Chanel or Grace. Today though, he insisted on keeping his early shift, since he would be meeting Stacey afterwards.
“You two are so loved up, it’s cute,” I said as I cleaned the coffee machine.
He gave me a look before going back to cleaning. For once, he didn’t react.
“How long will Stacey be in London?”
He shrugged. “Couple more weeks.”
“Don’t get her pregnant.”
He almost dropped the mug. “What’s wrong with you man?”
I noticed his embarrassed expression, which confirmed my suspicions. “Just saying. I hope you two are being safe. Stacey’s a good girl, I don’t want you tying her down with some yellow big-headed yout.”
His started laughing, causing some early-bird customers to glance at him weirdly. “I’m not dumb, Becc’s.”
“You are,” I whispered.
He ignored me and continued, “We’d know when we’re ready for kids.”
“That ain’t for another few years. I’m just warning you init.”
“Are you her mum or somethin’?”
“In Footlocker I was. I looked out for her. All I’m saying is wrap it before you tap it.”
He chuckled and began clearing the cutlery away. “I hear you.”
I could’ve sworn I heard him mutter, “I do anyway,” but decided to ignore it.
My shift was done late that afternoon. I said bye to a few workers and retrieved my phone from my pocket as I left Caffe Nero. As suspected, Tyreece allowed the phone to ring a few times before setting it to Busy. I sighed and gave up after the second try. He was clearly avoiding me, but I just wanted us to move on from this. I could forgive him for his behaviour if he was willing to forget everything else. I didn’t feel any kind of anger towards him anymore; Kayden had already said all I wanted to say, so there was no need for this widening distance between us.
I suddenly remembered his plans for today and checked the time. His racing event was at 7:15pm, and it was already 6:45pm.
Could I really make it to Wimbledon in half an hour?
I quickly powerwalked to Brixton station and topped up my oyster card before entering through the barriers. I caught the train and stood by the door, impatiently tapping my foot and checking my watch every so often. I plugged my headphones in and allowed myself to get lost in the world of music as I travelled to my destination.
Once I left the station, I hurriedly caught the bus to the athletics track. Already I could see a large crowd by the gates as the bus was pulling up at the stop. Thankfully they had been left open to any latecomers. I ignored the hollering of teenage boys and approached the stalls where everyone was already hooked on the event. There were some seats available, so I quickly sat and focused on the racetrack where a race was about to start.
“Which one is this?” I asked a middle-aged white woman sat beside me.
“Hurdles,” she answered. “There’s my son right over there.” She pointed to a lanky mixed-race boy with curly hair doing stretches. “Michael’s been working so hard. If he wins this, he’ll get his first Gold medal.”
I studied him briefly. He wasn’t bad looking, but I couldn’t give a damn about him right now. My eyes caught the person on the starting block next to his. Tyreece was doing leg stretches with a tough expression on his face. My chest tightened at the sight of him. Usually when I watched his running antics, he was determined yet relaxed. He had a carefree style about him. This time, though...I could literally see the anger radiating the air around him. He wasn’t his usual self, and I was partly to blame.
The atmosphere suddenly became still as everyone awaited the commentators words.
“The Men’s 110 Metre Hurdle is about to begin. Ready...”
The crowd fell silent as the contestants crouched down at their respective blocks. My eyes were trained on Ty, who was already in position, his thighs twitching and raring to go.
“Set...”
The starting gun sounded and they all took off in a flash. The air was loud again with people’s hollers and screams. I saw each runner take at least six strides on their approach to the first set of hurdles. The first jump Ty made caused me to pause. It was fluid, swift, and completely flawless. I was in awe. In the past year of watching him train, I had never seen his style look so elegant before. He had definitely improved, and I felt a sense of possession and pride while watching him.
Yeah, that’s my fucking man!
I smiled at my thoughts.
It wasn’t long at all before Ty was in the lead, but the remaining seven were still close behind. I sat upright with wide eyes, watching the close distance between Ty and Michael in anticipation. They seemed equally matched, but Ty was a little faster, with longer legs and a bigger jump. It was only brief, but I saw the willpower in his eyes. The whole race was merely a blur; only a few seconds, but it seemed as if everything was slowed down from my perspective. Every miniscule detail was prominent; it was as if I had microscopic vision. I noticed every muscle that contracted in Ty’s legs, every bead of sweat that marred his face, and each breath he took when approaching another hurdle.
The other contenders were falling behind quickly, except Michael, who was literally keeping up with Ty, to my amazement. Everyone around me was cheering, but it was like a quiet murmur in the background. All noise was blocked out as I speculated the race, and I couldn’t make a single sound, even if I wanted to. I was mesmerised by Ty’s form; how effortless it was, how graceful he moved, and how easily he recovered after every hurdle.
Just then, everything was moving in normal time again. The cheers and screams from the crowd were in full volume once more, and my eyes blurred as the race came to an end. My eyes snapped to Ty, who had a massive grin on his face, arms wide open, accepting all the cheers that were directed at him. My heart thumped when I realised that he was the winner.
“Another record for Tyreece Freeman! 12.87 seconds!”
He fell to his knees and the rest of his team ran forward to grapple him and drown him in water. I smiled at the scene.
“It was a good race,” I said to the same woman beside me.
She gave a weak smile. “Yeah. There’s always next year. I’m glad Michael got a Silver, at least.” I noticed her gazing at Tyreece. “It’s not the first time he’s raced against the winner. What’s his name? Tyrell?”
“Tyreece,” I corrected.
Her eyes focused on me. “So you know him?”
I nodded. “My boyfriend.”
“Ah...” Suddenly, she smiled. “He’s a fantastic runner. I’ve witnessed his races for the past four years. Michael always comes either second or third. He said he would beat him today, but he’s just not ready yet.”
I nodded at that. “He’s just as good,” I told her. “He should be proud.”
“Yeah, bless him.” She laughed lightly and stood up. “Congratulations on your boyfriend getting another Gold. He must really work hard. I’m going to wait for my son in the car. It was nice talking to you.” She smiled and waved before sliding past the other seated people and walking through the gate.
I sat there silently for a few seconds. What she just said began to ring in my ears.
He must really work hard.
He does. Tyreece works himself to the bone. He was fully committed to his training. Before, I never really understood it; training non-stop on rainy days and night time—even on Christmas day—just so he could run. It never made any sense to me, and it upset me that he would forget about my mum’s anniversary because of it. But being here now, in this atmosphere, where winning was everything, seeing that bold grin on his face...it finally made sense.
This was Ty’s job. To compete. To run. To win.
It wasn’t just for him, but for the sake of his team, their representation and image. It was his chance to pursue his dream career, the same aspiration he’s had since he was seven years old.
And I was proud of him.
Before I knew it, my legs had straightened, and I was stood up, already shuffling past people so I could approach him. I walked down the steep stairs to the track where everyone was packing away. I couldn’t spot him anywhere though. After asking a couple people of his whereabouts, I was directed to the changing rooms. I walked there slowly with a thumping heart, eager to congratulate him. Seeing that race made me love him all over again, and to be honest, I wanted to take him home and ride him hard.
I turned the corner and heard familiar voices. Instantly, I knew it was Tyreece and his athletic friend that was always tryna get in his boxers, Sacha. I stayed by the wall and listened to their convo.
“...and you almost knocked over that last hurdle, I saw it. Don’t lie,” she said with a laugh.
I heard Tyreece chuckle. “So you’re tryna get at me instead of congratulating me? I got a Gold y’know.”
“Yeah, this ain’t the first time though. Don’t get gassed.”
“I’ll be doing nationals soon.”
“I know, coach told me. He said you might be going America next year with Dylan and them lot.”
I froze. America? To train?
“Yeah, maybe.”
“What about your girl?” she asked.
It was silent for a moment before I heard him say, “What about her?”
She laughed. “You’re just gonna leave her here while you go abroad yeah?”
“Rebecca won’t care. She’s got other man now.”
“What? Are you two not together anymore?”
It was quiet again and I waited to hear the answer that could make or break our relationship.
Tell her we are. Tell her we’re still going strong. Tell her nothing’s gonna end us. Tell the bitch!
“Dunno.”
My heart sank and I leaned against the wall in disbelief.
Sacha whistled. “You two were so good together. What happened?”
“Nothing major. Don’t wanna talk about it. Where’s my hug though?”
I heard her laugh. “Wasn’t gonna give you one. I thought Rebecca would be here. She usually screws me when I hug you.”
“She’s not here. Probably won’t see her again. Who cares if she was here anyway? Come.”
I chose now to peek around the wall, and I wish I hadn’t.
Sacha was on her tiptoes with her arms wrapped around his neck, and Ty had her in a friendly embrace at first, but then he pulled her in closer by the small of her back.
“Congratulations,” she said in his ear.
“Thanks.” His hands snaked down her back to grab her bum. My eyes widened. He squeezed her backside; palming it and making it jiggle a little. “Your bum's got bigger, Sacha.” She giggled and I watched as he continued to play with it.
I pulled back and felt my chest tighten. After that, I silently walked back to the main entrance and walked through the gates, my mind still completely blank to what I just heard and witnessed. I felt void of all emotion, and I kept a neutral expression as I walked to the bus stop. Without even thinking, I reached into my pocket and grabbed my phone. It rang a few times before they answered.
“Yo Becc’s!”
“I’m down for Saturday.”
Brooklyn was quiet for a moment. “What, clubbing? What about work?”
“I’m coming.”
She was hesitant. “Yeah, alright... Are you okay? You don’t sound right.”
“I’m fine. Chat later.”
“Erm...alright. Bye.”
I locked off and caught the bus to the station, still feeling blank. The only thing on my mind right now was clubbing with the girls and getting drunk...so drunk that I forget today ever happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment