Wednesday 23 October 2013

Chapter twelve

Kayden
"Shh, its okay Li, stop crying." I rubbed her back as she shivered and wailed silently in my arms. We were lying down and I peered at the ceiling as she rested her head on my chest. I hated to see her cry, it was vexing. I was protective over her; it was painful to see her sob like this. She was literally breaking down. She had been crying for an hour straight.
"I hate going through this, Kayden. But I really feel sorry for my mum. I can't keep letting her suffer, she doesn't deserve it," she sniffed.
"Your dad needs to leave the house," I said with a screw.
"I hate him. He's changed so much," she muttered. I've always hated Aaliyah's dad. From a young age I remembered all the shit he put Li and her mother through, and it continued to this day.
"I know you love your dad." I sighed and rubbed her back gently.
"Not anymore. All he does is cause harm and stress to my mum. She doesn't deserve that kind of treatment. I wish I could do something."
I used my thumb to dry her eyes. "That would just provoke him," I whispered. 
"He's hurting her, Kayden. It's frequent now. Every night I hear her scream and loud bangs against the wall. He's abusing her and there's nothing I can do. It's the men that he's with. Most night's he brings them over and they all stay in the living-room smoking and drinking. It's affecting him and he takes it out on my mum. All I can do is stand there and watch him hit her over and over again. I can't take it anymore." Her strained voice croaked as she wept.
I reached over to my bedside and grabbed some tissue then handed it to her. Fucking hell, it pisses me off when she cries. I don't understand why anyone would want to upset Aaliyah like this. I knew soon she was going to relapse into her harming ways. Her mind was unstable; fuck knows what she does when she's alone in her room. Most time's she would overdose as a cry for help. Or even find the sharpest object and pierce her skin like it was nothing. If I actually had the chance, I'd kill her dad. He's fucking up her life and making her different than she used to be. She dried her eyes and blew her nose into the tissue as I rocked her gently. 
"You know I would've dealt with him by now," I seethed bitterly. I rubbed her stomach to try and calm her down.
"Yeah, I know," she whispered.
"No-one should have to go through that." I ran my hand over her arm lightly. I was angry—angry that this has been going on for so long, even angrier that I've sat back and allowed it.
"I feel alone, Kayden."
I looked at her and frowned. "You shouldn't. I'm here for you. I'm always gonna be here for you. You mean a lot to me and I'm not gonna let that prick hurt you or your mum anymore." More tears escaped her eyes and slid down her already damp cheek. I wiped her eyes again and brushed my knuckles against her cheek.
"Okay," was all she mumbled.
"I mean it. I'm going to do everything in my power to stop this, without the police." She nodded and I kissed her forehead. There was a knock on the door. "Yeah?" I called.
The door opened and mum's head popped through. She noticed Aaliyah was crying but chose not to say anything. She was used to the sight.
"I'm going over to Tanisha's for awhile," She announced. 
"Tell auntie I said hi."
"I will. She hasn't been answering my calls lately, neither has Trey."
I shrugged. "Must be busy."
"Yeah, your dad and I are going to surprise them."
"Have fun." She said her goodbye's and her, dad and Zaine left a few minutes later, leaving me and Li in the house alone. I noticed she had stopped crying.
"I have a headache," she mumbled.
"Cos you've been crying since you got here Li. Your eyes are all red." 
"I can't help it." I stroked her face and she looked up at me. I smiled and she laughed. "Stop, I look terrible." She covered her face. I moved her hands out the way and looked into her eyes. 
"You're beautiful," I whispered. And I meant it. She stared at me momentarily before leaning closer and gently pressing her lips against mine. We kissed and she gradually climbed on top, straddling me. It was something we were both used to. Aaliyah craved kisses for comfort, and I'd always give in to her. It was nothing sexual, but it made her feel better—so I'm willing to do it. After a while she pulled away and gave a shy smile.
"Thanks," she whispered.
I ran my thumb along her bottom lip, biting my own. "Your mum's gonna wonder where you are. Did you tell her you were here?"
"I think so. I just want to move out that house."
"Since they're talking about separation, that prick should be the one moving out," I spat referring to her bitch dad. I was calm for her sake. Deep down I felt nothing but pure rage. He's gotten away with so much, I won't allow it anymore. Women beaters belong in hell.
"I dunno, dad says it should be me and mum moving out since it's his house. But mum's the one that pays rent."
I scowled. The fucker should die. "Let's not talk about him yeah. I need you to calm down." I peered into her bright eyes she and nodded slowly before kissing me on the cheek. 
"I love you," she whispered shyly.
"Love you too." She giggled like a school girl and started fiddling with her fingers. I watched her, mounted on me and sat there nervously. Just like old times.
"Am I heavy?" she questioned.
"Nah, I can handle your weight."
"But I feel fat."
My eyes narrowed. "Don't upset me Aaliyah." She laughed and wiped her eyes. Finally, she was smiling.
"Kayden, do you think when you eventually move out that I could live with you?" she asked. I thought for a moment, wondering whether it was a serious question or a mere joke. I never actually thought of when I'd move out this yard, but it would be very soon. Can't stand my parents being sexual in front of me and Zaine tiefin all my good hats. Couldn't wait to move out. I needed more money before anything else though. I'd have to keep a stable financial plan before I can decide. I responded with a simple shrug. 
"Course, but you'd have to pay rent," I joked.
She chuckled. "I won't have the money."
"You'd have to figure out another way to pay me then."
She did a sly grin. "What would that involve?"
"Something long and hard," I whispered.
She slapped my chest lightly and giggled. "Don't be disgusting!"
"I meant a pen; you'd have to sign a contract."
"Don't lie!" I laughed and she hugged me. "You always make me feel better Kayden; I never know how to thank you."
"Don't thank me. You being happy is more than enough." I rubbed her back slowly and her body relaxed.
"I want to thank you though. I appreciate all that you do for me."
I shrugged. "It's my job to protect you Li."
She sighed heavily and looked up at me. "I really do love you Kayden."
"And I love you even more."
She watched me momentarily with her eyes blazing into mine. She then brought her face closer and kissed me again. I responded and kissed her slowly. She rested her hands on my chest and slid her tongue in my mouth. I held her close as I thought about Rebecca for a moment. Kissing Aaliyah was similar to kissing Ree, but with Ree I actually feel something. 
My mind began to wonder. It's only been a few hours and I missed her already. I was lucky she even forgave man; I knew never to upset her again. Next time I won't be so fortunate. I remembered the text she sent me earlier and smiled at the thought. She said I shouldn’t fuck Aaliyah, but I had no intention to. That goes to show she cared. Aaliyah pulled away and smiled.
"I like you," she mouthed, followed by a giggle. 
"For real?" I asked. She nodded and pecked me on the lips. I had a feeling she did; it's been a while since our friendship had risen to the next level. I didn't reply. What was there to say? She began to rub my chest and licked her bottom lip hungrily.
"So Kayden..." she muttered, continuing her motion.
"Yeah?" I rested my hands on her hips and squeezed them gently. Aaliyah was slim, but had the perfect breasts that I wouldn't mind fondling.
"I wanna do stuff to you." She smiled and I raised a brow. She laughed when she noticed my expression. "Just this once. No-one has to know..." She quickly bent down and began to kiss my neck, sucking it gently. I grunted and closed my eyes as her lips shifted to mine. I turned my head and sighed. Fuck that man. 
"Nah Li." I held her shoulders firmly.
She frowned. "You said you love me."
"I do...not in that way though."
She tilted her head in confusion. "So you don't find me attractive?" I gave her a look. Was she taking the piss? After all the things we've done together and she chooses to ask this.
"You know I do. But we can't regardless." She sighed and climbed off me then turned on her side and faced the other way with her back to me. It was silent for awhile and all I could think of was Ree. Whipped? Yeah, pretty much so. I was whipped from when I first laid eyes on her. She was truly beautiful, like God's gift or some shit. Everything about her was perfect; her hair, her eyes, her body, her smile, her personality...everything. I've never felt so strongly about a girl before, it was surreal. 
"This is because of that girl init?" I heard Aaliyah mumble a few minutes later.
I rested on my elbow and looked at her. "What girl?"
"Rebecca. You like her don't you?"
"Yeah, I really do."
"She doesn’t seem to like you back though," she grumbled spitefully, still facing the wall.
"She does, secretly." I smirked at the thought of it. Of course Ree felt the same; otherwise she wouldn't allow me to kiss her. I knew she had a man and I'm all for monogamy but she does tings to me, I couldn't help myself. Lately we've gotten closer, and I intend to keep it that way. I heard Li sniff and I watched her closely. "Are you crying?"
"No, got a cold," she whispered. I held her shoulder and turned her to face me. Her cheeks were soaked in tears and her eyes were red. 
"Why you crying?"
"You don't like me. No-one likes me." She sniffed again. I sighed and climbed on top, resting between her legs. She was overly emotional, something I always had to deal with.
"I love you Li, there's a difference. I only have so much respect for you that I wouldn't want to break your heart in any way. Don't act like the world's against you because I'm still here. You know that."
"I still feel like shit though. I can't even keep a decent man in my life." She peered away. I ran my fingers along her lip and shook my head.
"They're all pricks. You need a proper man that will treat you right and understands you." 
"Like you," she muttered, looking directly at me.
"Yeah like me. But better." I smiled and kissed her cheek, causing her to sigh. "You'll find the right person, and if they don't treat you right I'll be there to fuck them up."
She laughed and thought for a bit. "I'm tired," she whispered.
"Wanna sleep?" She nodded and we both got under the covers, it was getting kinda cold. We cuddled and kissed some more then eventually fell asleep.


Becca
I tapped my nails on the table waiting for the lesson to finish. Fucking hell I've been tired all day and not only that, but I had my work shift afterwards aswell. A week later and it was getting too much for me now. I should've stayed unemployed and home-schooled.
"What's up Becc's?" Chris asked as he scratched his name into the table with a ruler.
"I'm tired," I mumbled. My eye lids were becoming heavy. I could make love to my bed right now if I had the chance.
"What time did you sleep?" 
"I don't fucking know, I just wanna sleep." I sighed and he laughed. 
"Time of the month," he muttered.
I screwed. "Shut the fuck up Chris. Just cos I'm tired doesn't mean I have blood gushing from my-..."
"Ey calm it man. Don't finish that sentence." I smiled at his squirming. Men hated the idea of periods, but it was simply natural—disgusting—but natural. He then received a text on his phone. I looked at the screen as he retrieved it from his pocket.
—Meet me outside the girls toilets in 5 mins x
Grace.
I smiled. "So...you and Grace, huh?" I asked, still beaming.
He looked at me and chuckled. "Yeah man, I like her so why not?"
"Since when?" 
"Like a month ago." 
"And you couldn't even tell me?"
He laughed. "Why would I?" 
"Cos I'm your friend." 
"So? You don't have to know everything." 
"Yeah I do. I'm the female don, are you forgetting?" He rolled his eyes and the lesson was over. I grabbed my bag and soon left the building with Brooklyn and Natalie. We walked down the road; the two of them discussing clothes and hair, whilst I kicked the stones on the pavement, thinking deeply to myself. My phone vibrated. I screwed at the text I had gotten from Leon;
—Where u at? We need to tlk about b4
I replied.
—You mean when u cheated on me and I found out then dashed the chair at u? That time?
Minutes later.
—I wna explain wat happened between me and her.
Im sorry
I scoffed and text back.
I already know what happened. U met her, stuck your dick in her and then lied to me about it.
What else is there to explain?
Sorry doesn't mean shit btw x
He didn't reply so I shrugged and placed my phone back in my pocket. I don't know how much longer I can pretend with this gimmick. I need to hurry up and destroy his life, and I'm still figuring out how. 
"Why you screwing Becc's?" Nat asked.
"No reason, don't worry."
"Thinking of Kayden?" Brooklyn's brow rose inquisitively. 
"You need to get shot, how about that?"
They both laughed. "It's a simple question. Must have touched a nerve. That means you were init?" I screwed and Nat continued.
"Remember last week, you had his name written on your hand. What you gotta say about that?"
"I didn't do that. Someone at work did," I lied. They both gave each other a look then burst out laughing at my rubbish attempt at lying. I scoffed. "You both need to get locked up in a cage and thrown into the River Niles cos you're pissing me off." They continued to laugh. 
"Becca and Kayden sitting in a tree, F-U-C-K-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes marriage-..."
"Then SHUT UP!" I interrupted. 
They carried on laughing and being twats. I swear Kayden was making my life hell, and he wasn’t even around! I can't go through one day without someone mentioning his name. It was annoying. He's another male in my life, just a friend. Yet everyone gets this crazy idea that me and him are an item. No! It needs to stop. Soon I'm gonna be pushed to the edge and I'll do something extremely dangerous to the next accuser. 
As our journey continued Natalie and Brooklyn was persistent in pissing me off, singing songs and making actions, pretending it was Kayden and I. Ignoring them, I departed and turned the corner, saying my goodbyes—which consisted of a middle finger. I was halfway to work when I noticed a silver Vauxhall Vectra driving slowly next to me in the road. I raised an eyebrow and upped my pace, but the car sped up aswell. I peered at the tinted windows and furrowed my brow.
What does this prick want?
Call me paranoid, but I swear this dipshit was following me. I slowed down and the car slowed down also. I stopped completely and the car came to a halt and the engine turned off. I stared at the familiar car, wondering who the driver was when the door opened and a boy stepped out. I remembered him instantly from that night of the rave; he was really tall and dark skinned with wavy hair. Kayden's friend; Kamar. The first thing I done was screw as I approached him. 
"What the hell is wrong with you?"
He smirked in amusement. "Not even a hello Rebecca?" 
"Now's not the time for hellos. Why were you following me?!" 
"Wanted to see what you'd do." I just stared at him coldly. I wish I could steal his car and drive it off a cliff, then that would be his money wasted. "So where's Kayden?" he asked. 
"Why would I know? He's your friend."
"And yours too."
"You knew him first." 
"He likes you more."
I rolled my eyes. "Whatever yeah? I haven’t got time for this." I turned to walk away but he gripped onto my wrist lightly and pulled me back. 
"Where you going?"
"Work." 
"Where's that?"
"Somewhere on a street."
He laughed again. "You know what I mean."
I sighed in defeat. "I work in Footlocker."
"Swear down? Lemme drop you there." 
I hesitated. I was hoping to turn up late on purpose so I'd have to work less. Guess that idea's out the window. After agreeing he smiled politely and we entered the car. I sat in the passenger’s seat and waited for Kamar to start up the engine. He did and drove off down the road. I looked out the window wondering whether Kayden would be at work or not. He hasn't really been around recently, but I'm not worried or anything. It's his life and his business, as I learned before. I noticed from the corner of my eye that Kamar was analysing me. I turned to him.
"What?" I asked.
"You're really pretty you know," he acknowledged.
"Hm. Thanks," I mumbled, not taking interest in what he had to say. I was used to hearing the same shit from boys. Most times it would be to get into my knickers. The compliment never has an effect on me, unless Kayden were to say it.
"You got a man?" he questioned as he turned a corner. 
"Yeah," I answered.
"Kayden?" he asked again.
I scowled. "No." 
"So who then?" 
"You don't know him."
"Say his name and I might know." 
"You don't know anyone," I retorted with a screw.
He laughed. "Try me."
"His name's Leon."
He thought for a minute. "Oh him. Yeah I know Leon."
"Really? How?" He touched his nose and winked. I tutted. "Go fuck yourself."
He snickered. "I know him through my bredrin init." 
"Oh, okay."
"He didn't tell me he had a girl though," he mentioned with a shrug.
My eyes narrowed instantly. "Didn't he?" 
"Nah. He's still linkin' chicks man." He chuckled to himself. It wasn’t a surprise, but hearing that just confirmed my suspicions and pissed me off all the more. Even though I've ended things with Leon, there were still some feelings there. The fucker claimed he loved me, he doesn't even know the meaning. I breathed deeply and shook my head. How dare he do that? I can't wait to ruin his life, this just made me determined to do it sooner rather than later. Watch me destroy him. "I don't care if I'm a snake, he shouldn't be doing that to you."
I nodded in agreement. "It's okay, I'll deal with him."
He laughed. "You know you deserve someone better than him."
"Is that so?"
"Yeah, it is." I rolled my eyes and braced myself for the same pathetic bar. The "You-Deserve-Me-Instead" chant that most pricks do. "You need someone like Kayden," he added.
My eyes widened and my face scrunched. "I dislike you now."
"You two suit man! That would be so fucking cute. He's always chattin' about you saying how nice you are. Why don't you just do a ting?"
I narrowed my eyes suspiciously. "Did he put you up to this?" He shook his head. "I don't like him like that." 
"You should give him a chance you know."
"No," was all I said.
He sighed. "Aight, fine. But a girl is what he needs right now to distract him from his business." 
"What business?"
He froze and looked straight ahead. Suddenly his body was tense, and his lips were a thin line. "Nevermind," he answered.
I raised a brow at his change of behaviour. "What business?" I questioned again.
He sighed and glanced at me. "Kayden's involved in some dangerous shit right now, and has been ever since he turned 14. I keep telling him to stop but he doesn't listen."
Now I was intrigued. "What does he do?"
"You really wanna know?" he asked turning to me. 
"Yeah, I really do." He carried on staring at me with a content look on his face. I knew he wasn’t actually going to tell me so I faced the road again to see a small light-skinned girl crossing the road. "Kamar!" I yelled. He looked ahead and pressed down on the break causing the car to skid ferociously. I shut my eyes and felt the car collide into something.
"Oh shit," I heard Kamar whisper. I gradually opened my eyes again and turned to him, he was frozen with widened eyes. 
"What is it?" I asked. My heart was beating fast. I was dreading the worst, after viewing Kamar's expression; I didn't even want to know. He quickly unbuckled his seatbelt and left the car. I done the same and went to the front of the car to see the same girl lying on the floor with blood pouring from her body rapidly. I covered my mouth and Kamar stared at her in awe.
"Oh my God..." I muttered. He actually hit her. She looked truly fucked. Her legs were crooked and her entire body was dismantled. It was a terrible sight. I snapped my head at Kamar, who was watching her silently. "Don't just stand there! Call an ambulance you twat!" I yelled in panic. There was no-one around and this girl seriously needed the hospital.
"Nah...I've been pen too many times blud." He headed back to the car and got back in. I stared at him in horror. Was he seriously going to leave this poor girl to die in the fucking street? He peered at me apologetically through the windscreen before reversing and speeding off in the other direction.
WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED?!
I looked down at her and blood was pooling everywhere, it was even seeping near my shoes. I bent down and felt her pulse, it was slowly decreasing. I quickly retrieved my phone and dialled 999 with shaky fingers. Damn, I wasn't expecting this shit today. After a few rings, someone answered.
E.S: "Hello, emergency service. Which service do you require? 
Me: "Ambulance." I looked around and there was still no-one in sight. Just my luck. 
E.S: "Alright, and what's your address?"
Me: "Erm...Brixton, SW9, Ferndale road, outside door number 17." I said looking at a random door. I glanced down at the girl's lifeless body; there was no sign that she was alive whatsoever. I gulped.
E.S: "Okay. What seems to be wrong with the patient?"
Me: "She's just been hit by a car." 
E.S: "Hold on a moment please..." I waited and eventually everything was sorted. I was informed that they would reach in 3 minutes.
Resting on my knees I stayed beside her and examined her carefully. She was a really pretty girl, and young, still in her school uniform and everything. I'd feel so bad if she didn't make it through. This would all be Kamar's fault. The fucker should have kept his eyes on the bloody road! Soon enough the ambulance arrived and placed her in the back of the vehicle. I was still breathing heavily wondering if she would be alright or not. They asked if I wanted to go with them to the hospital but I refused, I felt physically sick to my stomach to know that Kamar would just do something like that. 
I decided to skip work and go straight home. I was still in shock. I said my hellos and went straight to my room then collapsed on the bed. Kamar was no longer in my good books; I don't think he ever was anyway. The recent scene kept replaying in my head over and over again in a constant loop. Why did it have to happen? Kamar is a dick, I don't care. My phone vibrated and I looked to see a text from Stacey.
—Hiya! What's goin on? Why aint u in today? 
Kayden isn’t here either, wat are u two up to aye? x
I kissed my teeth and dropped my phone. See what I mean? Kayden this and Kayden that. He’s just a boy! My phone began to vibrate and I frowned at the screen. Speak of the devil.
"Yeah?" 
"Wagwaan Ree. You at work?" 
"Nah."
"Seen, why not?"
"Not bothered." 
He went silent. He knew something was up. "What's wrong?" 
"Two things: first, I just witnessed someone dying in the middle of the road today."
"Shit."
"Exactly. And secondly, it's you."
"What about me?"
"It's just always you. Everyday your name pops up." 
He chuckled lightly. "What do you mean?"
"Whenever I'm quiet, 'Oh, are you thinking about Kayden again, Beccs?' Or when I'm angry, "Kayden didn't give you enough last night?' Or even when I'm happy, 'So Kayden gave it to you good yeah?' Your name is always there!" 
His chuckle grew into a raucous laughter. "That's not my fault."
"It is; it's your fault you're alive."
"What do you expect me to do? Change my name?"
I sighed. "Yes, exactly." 
"Nah. I like my name." 
I screwed. "I just want everyone to stop assuming we're together." 
"It's cos we're close init. Don't worry about it." 
"I'm far from worried. I'm just pissed off." 
"Want me to come over and cheer you up?" 
"No." 
He laughed. "Why?" 
"I don't want you near me. You make me feel weird." 
He paused momentarily. "Weird how?" 
My screw deepened. "You ask too many questions." I heard his light breathing through the phone. I checked the screen to see if he was still there. "Hello?"
"I'm coming over."
"No, it's alright. I don't need you here."
"Five minutes, Ree."
"Kayden, I swear to God..." He locked off and I stayed frozen, listening to the dial tone. He had the audacity! I kissed my teeth and lay back thinking of what had happened not too long ago. I hope that girl is okay. And if she doesn't make it through, I don't know what I'd do...

No comments:

Post a Comment