Wednesday 23 October 2013

Chapter seven

It was a windy Thursday and I was stuck at work for the afternoon. Luckily Brooklyn and I managed to get some filming done in the morning before the weather drastically changed. Now that the filming process had begun, things were getting more stressful. We managed to shoot the first couple of scenes with Chris and Gavin, but technical difficulties started to arise, so we had to cut the session short. After all of this hard work and stress, we better pass with flying colours.
I glanced at the time on my watch. It was only 2:34 p.m. and I don't finish until 6 p.m. Thankfully I was working with Stacey; other than us chatting and gossiping, she usually gave me enough tasks to do throughout the day to make my shifts go by quickly. This time, she was in a chatty mood, so we stayed by the till mostly.
As we spoke, I couldn't get Kayden out of my mind. What happened between us on Tuesday had haunted me ever since. I was used to being alone in a room with him but now his advances were getting worse, and I felt like I couldn't stop them.
I felt like I didn't want to...
If I hadn't said stop, would he have touched me? Kissed me? Would I have allowed him, or would I have pulled away? Not knowing was hurting my brain. I shouldn't be so unsure of my own reactions like this, but Kayden was too irresistible sometimes. It was less about me being with Leon and more about my own restraint and self-discipline. Kayden knows I find him attractive and he plays on that. I shouldn't be swayed so easily, dammit!
"What's up?" I looked over at Stacey who was pricing some t-shirts.
"Nothing, I'm good."
"You were staring into space for ages. Are you sure?"
Bless Stacey and her inquisitiveness. "I'm just a bit confused."
She put the price gun down and gave me her full attention, which made me smile. It was as if she didn't care that we were in a work environment. "What are you confused about?"
"My love life."
Stacey chuckled. "I feel like I can relate already."
I smiled a little. "My boyfriend and I aren't getting along at the moment."
"Why not?"
"I think he's seeing another girl."
Stacey gasped and held her chest in disbelief. I lived for her reactions sometimes. "Are you serious? How could he cheat on you?"
I shrugged. "I've seen evidence, but it's not really about that."
Stacey raised a brow.
"As soon as we became distant, this other stupid guy comes along and now I feel like I'm getting attached to him."
She nodded slowly, taking this information in. "You reckon you have feelings for him?"
"No!"
Two customers who were approaching the till froze in shock at my outburst. I quickly apologised and gave a nervous laugh before offering to serve them. Stacey was laughing in my face the entire time. Eventually, I packed their items in a bag and gave them the receipt. They said their goodbyes and left the store. Stacey was still laughing.
I rolled my eyes. "You can stop now."
She wiped a tear from her eye. "You didn't see your face, though! Why did you scream so loud?"
"Because your question terrified me."
Stacey gave a happy sigh. "Your answer is clear anyway."
"What do you mean?"
"The way you're so quick to deny it..." she shrugged. "Don't you think that means anything?"
I was stunned for a second. Is Stacey insinuating that I was somehow in denial about having feelings for Kayden? There was no way in hell. I despise that boy ... sometimes. I wouldn't even class these as feelings, but merely an attraction. All I've done so far is admire his looks, but that doesn't mean I want a relationship with him. This whole feelings thing is bullshit.
"No," I finally answered.
Stacey laughed. "Okay, then."
"I think he likes me, but I already told him I've got a man. It's just that I'm getting used to his company and I get along with him more than I do with my boyfriend."
She nodded in understanding. "You said you and your boyfriend are distant now. Does he know about your suspicions?"
"Yep."
"That must be it then, right? He probably feels a certain way about the accusation and is resenting you for it."
That's exactly what Kayden had said. Who would've thought he would have the same amount of sense as Stacey?
"Yeah, probably. But distancing himself isn't going to make things better."
"You know what I think?" Stacey tapped her chin in thought. "I think you need to resolve the issue with your boyfriend. If you love each other, you'd try your hardest to work things out, instead of letting things go stagnant. If you can patch things up with him, you'll spend more time with him again and less time with this other 'stupid guy.' That should stop you getting so attached to him and you won't be confused anymore."
I nodded and took it in. That seemed like the only plausible way to overcome this tricky situation. I can't spend the rest of my days with Kayden like this, so the only other option I have is to make things right with Leon again. But then ... why am I the one making all the effort? He hung up on me the other day when I tried to talk to him—something he's never done before. His behaviour was constantly changing and I didn't want to be on the receiving end. I wasn't even upset at his attitude, I was pissed off. Did I really want to talk to Leon as he was right now?
I might end up killing him.
But I can't tell Stacey that. She's already helped me enough by listening and giving sound advice.
"Yeah, you're right," I told her instead. "I'll try that. Thanks, Stace."
She gave a thumbs up. "No worries. It's weird to see you so quiet. I hope things work out for you."
Considering I was currently stuck in some kind of convoluted love triangle, it's going to take a miracle to come out the other end completely sane. I literally have Kayden humping my leg while I'm busy trying to spy on Leon. God knows what Leon is even up to these days, I never see him!
I forced a smile despite my thoughts. "I hope so, too."
Just then a really stocky black guy walked in and began to look around. He was quite good-looking: caramel skin tone, good dress sense, and lovely brown eyes ... but he seemed very menacing and I always find that guys with too much muscle look like they struggle to walk correctly. Still, he was attractive. He spotted Stacey and strolled to the counter.
He smiled at her. "You alright?" he asked.
She was taken aback by his presence and quickly ran around the counter to hug him. They embraced tightly and I took in just how tiny she looked beside him. Was this her boyfriend? Because right now I can picture an oversized aubergine trying to fit into a hole the size of a pin.
Once they pulled away, Stacey clung onto his arm and smiled at me. "Tyler, this is my work friend, Rebecca. Rebecca, this is my friend Tyler."
So they're friends! How did they even meet? They were polar opposites!
Tyler nodded towards me. "You alright?"
I flashed a polite smile in return. "I'm good, you?"
"Not bad, thanks."
Stacey began to pull him away. "I'm gonna go on my break now. Can you let Herman know for me?"
I gave her a thumbs up and she left with her massive friend in tow.
After that, things quietened down and I was left alone with my thoughts. I had to find a way to detach from Kayden before things turned worse. I felt like I was already at witts end. Almost on queue, the Devil himself strolled in, making his usual star-boy entrance. It annoyed me how handsome he looked in a simple work uniform. I decided to look away before I fell into a trance and grabbed the price gun that Stacey had left by the till. If I had to pretend that I was busy doing work the entire time, so be it.
He made a beeline to the till area and leaned on the counter, giving me that lopsided smile that I hate/love.
"Good evening," he spoke in low tones.
My back was to him, but I still shivered inwardly at his deep voice. "Hi."
"Store been busy today?"
I shrugged. "Not really."
"Any deliveries?"
"All done."
"Paperwork sent off?"
I paused for a second, completely stunned that he hadn't flirted with me yet, especially after what happened a couple of days ago. I finally turned to face him. "Erm ... no?"
He nodded curtly. "I'll chat to Herman then."
"What's happening?"
He raised a brow. "What?"
"You're acting normal all of a sudden. Are you a supervisor?"
Kayden chuckled, flashing those straight, white teeth. "Nah, but I'm training to be one. I care about the store, what can I say?"
"But you haven't..." I drifted off. Haven't what? Hit on me? Was I really about to complain that Kayden wasn't making advances like he usually did? I should be over the moon, not confused. This is what I wanted in the first place.
He studied me for a moment and gave a gentle smile. "I'll be out back." Then he walked off before I could respond.
I stood there in a daze, wondering what this complete change of attitude was. It's not that Kayden was being rude, standoffish, or distant, but he was acting way too casual for someone who was literally rubbing on my thighs a few days ago. Was he just trying to put that behind us and start over? Had it finally sunk in that I had a boyfriend? Or maybe he was trying to separate work and private matters? Whatever it is, I was definitely stunned by it.
I wasn't about to deny the fact that he made me feel a type of way. How the hell can someone like him make my tummy flip and heart flutter? Someone like Kayden who was now acting as if we were mere work colleagues? Someone like Kayden who showed nothing but respect and admiration for me, while still being cheeky and flirtatious. Someone like Kayden...
His smile flashed in my mind and I tutted. Stupid Kayden and his sexy beautiful smile. What a confusing bastard.
On my break, I decided to eat out for a change. As I exited Footlocker, I pondered on what I could eat that wasn't unhealthy for a change, but somehow found myself heading towards McDonald's.
What I didn't expect was a presence to stroll alongside me. I glanced up at Kayden and he smiled in return.
"What are you doing?"
"Lunch," he explained laconically.
"But why are you following me?"
"I'm not. Just going McDonald's."
I glared at him with narrowed eyes. He might actually be telling the truth. We hadn't really spoken since his shift began, and I didn't tell anyone where I was heading; there was no way of him knowing I was going to McDonald's.
Just then something across the road caught my eye. I froze in the middle of the pavement, careless at a number of bodies that may bump into me, and stared at the lovely pastel handbag in Risky's shop window.
I must have it.
"Where are you going?" he asked as I stepped into the road just before the crossing. I wasn't even sure if the traffic lights were red, I was drawn to this wonderful bag.
"Just going shop," I muttered. Luckily the roads were quiet, so I managed to cross with ease. I could feel Kayden following right behind me, almost like a bodyguard, ensuring my safety and watching out for any cars. Once we reached the other side he was next to me again.
"What shop?" he questioned.
I jerked my chin in the direction of Risky and picked up the pace. Risky was a clothes shop that I barely visited, but sometimes they stocked some rare gems. I couldn't help but appreciate its retro style, though. I couldn't remember the last time I'd been so mesmerised by a product before.
My trance was broken by a solid body barging into me. I was left stunned as the lanky white man grunted "move" as he continued to walk away. My eye twitched. I was ready to turn around and cuss him, but Kayden had beaten me to it. By the time I had swivelled round, Kayden had gripped the man by the collar and was sneering in his face.
"You can't watch where you're goin'?" he asked, his voice thick with anger. People already began to stare.
The man scowled through his sunglasses, grabbing onto Kayden's wrist in an attempt to shake him off. "What the fuck's your problem man?" He quickly removed the tinted specs, ready to argue, until his eyes widened at the taller man before him. "Ah shit. Kayden..."
"Watch how you chat to me, Warren. Am I a prick?"
The guy held his hands up defensively. "Nah, I was in a rush. Sorry."
Kayden glared at him with narrowed eyes. "Tell her."
The shaken boy slid his eyes over to me. "Sorry," he mumbled.
Kayden regarded him quietly for a moment before finally shoving him away. "Be careful next time."
Warren nodded obediently before scurrying off.
I was still in shock as Kayden approached me again, his face softened as if nothing happened. I had never seen this side of him before and I wasn't sure how to deal with it.
"Thanks," I muttered.
He shrugged. "It's nothing. I don't no one taking the piss with you."
I couldn't help but smile. "I can handle myself, we've been through this."
"I know, but sometimes I feel the need to step in."
Was that his way of saying he wants to protect me? I breathed deeply and quickly shook the thought from my head. The last thing I wanted to do was try to decode everything Kayden said. I needed to invest more energy into my failing relationship. It was hard, though, because Kayden was such a distraction...
Later that evening Kayden thought it would be a good idea to invade my privacy again and follow me home. After explaining that I had coursework to do, he allowed me to stay on my laptop and get some work done while he watched TV. I didn't understand how he was okay with me being this antisocial. Did he not care as long as he was in my presence? In any case, I'd gotten used to him being around, and so have my family. He was part of the furniture at this point.
Brooklyn had called me to discuss the storyboard for our short film. I was busy trying to use illegal means to download some computer software for the project when she changed the subject entirely.
"I can't believe he's at your house again."
"Kinda used to it by now," I mumbled with a shrug.
"But like ... what's he doing?"
I glanced over at Kayden to see he was transfixed on the TV. Who would've thought he would be an avid watcher of Adventure Time?
"Watching TV," I answered.
Kayden looked at me and I stuck my tongue out at him.
"Tell him I said hi!"
I rolled my eyes and nudged Kayden. "One of your fans said hi."
He simply laughed, flashing those pearly whites. "Which one's that?"
"Brooklyn. You've never spoken to her before."
"My is growing." He winked. The small action made my heart thump. I quickly turned away and grit my teeth.
Stupid Kayden. Stupid sexy prick.
"Tell her I said cool," he replied before turning his attention back to the TV.
I sighed. "You hear that Brooks?"
She was breathing heavily all of a sudden. "Yeah; he sounds so sexy. How are you two not together?"
"Are you forgetting about Leon?"
There was a small pause. "Oh yeah. But Leon's a prick anyway. Time to move on."
I laughed at how simple she made it sound. Then I realised what she had actually said and my laughter abruptly stopped. "Me and Kayden? Fuck no." I caught Kayden's side eye and chuckled. "No offence." He rolled his eyes and carried on watching his program.
Brooklyn literally cackled. "Can't wait for you two to get together. Get married. Have kids. Name your first girl after me."
"Piss of Brooks," I laughed at her stupidity. What does she think this is?
"In all seriousness, though. Shanay told me about Leon's behaviour. You really need to sort him out."
I sighed heavily, already coming to that realisation today with Stacey. "I know. I just don't have the energy for his childish shit."
"You need to give him an ultimatum, then. If he doesn't fix up, you walk away."
I pondered on that for a moment. That could be one way to try and solve the issue. I could threaten Leon by leaving him if he doesn't change his ways. Whether that's effective or not ... who knows?
"Still having problems?" Kayden asked. The sudden question stunned me, and I turned to see he was still watching the TV while engaging in conversation.
"Mind your business," I hissed.
Those brown eyes slid over to me and in one swift motion, he grabbed my phone and ended the call. My jaw hung open in complete shock as my brain tried to process what just happened. I watched him with wide eyes and he smiled in return.
"Are you sick?"
"She's distracting you from your work. You need to focus."
My brows rose in question. "What the hell is wrong with you?"
Who does he think he is? Does he not know me? Do I need to teach him?
"Okay, that's it. You're going home," I announced.
His chuckle was sarcastic and his glare was patronising. "Try moving me."
My eyes narrowed. If that was a goddamn challenge then I'll accept it. Without hesitation, I lunged forward in an attempt to shove him off the edge of the bed, but he quickly moved aside, causing me to land on my stomach and almost fall off the bed. I glared at him and he flashed that lopsided smirk.
I got up and sat back on my haunches, eyeing him with suspicion. "Give me back my phone," I ordered calmly, too tired for his games.
Kayden unzipped his jeans.
I froze.
I watched as he placed the phone down his crotch before yanking the zipper back up and tapping his groin. "Come get it."
My heart thumped at such a wayward gesture. Is this really happening? What kind of sick, twisted game was this!
"That's a brand new phone and you're getting your dick all over it," I growled.
Kayden chuckled. "It's not in my boxers, unless you want it to be?"
"Stop being a prick!"
He laid back comfortably on my bed with his hands behind his head and crossed his ankles, giving me a teasing smirk. "Just take it back; I won't stop you."
"As if I'm really going to put my hand down your jeans."
"I know you've thought about it."
I sputtered at such a blunt accusation. Who does this guy think he is? He was so bold, so confident, so damn sure of himself, that it actually rendered me speechless. And I hated to admit it but ... he wasn't exactly wrong.
"You know what? Keep it." I faced away from him and turned to the TV instead, pretending not to care. His chuckle bothered me. He was having way too much fun at the expense of my sanity — as if I wasn't suffering enough just being around him. I've been greeted by Kayden's silly side before but this? This is something else.
A callused hand held onto my wrist and pulled me forward and before I knew it, I was leaning on Kayden's shoulder with my hand over his stomach. I looked at his hand gripping my wrist and found myself confused. What the hell is he doing?
"Wha-" was all I could utter before he dragged my hand lower and lower, meanwhile watching me with those carnal eyes. That sensual glare had me caged; I couldn't look away, yet my heart was racing and my throat was closing up. Just like that, I allowed him to control my hand, and very quickly it was resting on the zipper.
"You didn't say stop," he muttered.
He was right. Once again, I didn't halt his actions or reprimand him harshly. Instead, I allowed him to do whatever he wanted because I know that, deep down, I want to play this game too. It was naughty of me: I have Leon. I was taken. I have a boyfriend who I actually care for.
But I want to play along, just this once.
"You're halfway there," he whispered, his hand still on mine. The physical contact was almost singeing my skin like the hottest flame, but I couldn't yank away. "You might as well finish."
Swallowing hard, I gripped the golden zipper and began to drag it down. Kayden wasn't even guiding my hand at this point; this was all my own curiosity, my own selfishness, my own greed. Once the zip was down completely, I shut my eyes for a moment. In order to retain even an ounce of dignity, I breathed deeply and collected my thoughts, taking time to process the situation.
When I open my eyes, I'll see his ... thing. That shape in the boxers that lets us girls know just how much a guy is packing. His bulge. His penis. His willy.
I might explode.
"Ree?"
I peeped one eye open to look at that handsome face. He was smiling. It was a playful smile on the verge of laughter.
"I was joking. Here." He pulled my phone out and fastened his jeans again.
I could still hear my heartbeat thumping in my ears, my chest constricting, my throat drying, my skin moist with sweat ... all for a joke?
Kissing my teeth, I grabbed my phone from his hand and rubbed it against my top, ridding it of any residue. Lord knows what this guy's got going on down there.
I was close to finding out.
I don't know what irritated me more; the fact that he was messing around, or the fact that I got my hopes up only for them to get crushed. After all this time wondering how well-endowed Kayden was...
No! Snap out of it! He's not your man.
"You look upset," he teased.
"Obviously. You got cum on my phone."
He started laughing. "Stop chatting shit. I'm clean."
I glared at him. "How do I know that?"
Kayden shrugged. "I wouldn't lie."
"But you're a hoe. Probably gave my phone an STI."
He laughed and nudged me. "Don't be rude. I always get myself checked. Trust me, I'm clean."
I blinked at the ambiguous statement. Always? He checked himself regularly? That must mean he's forever having sex. Did he have multiple partners, or was he sleeping with just one girl? It was hard to tell with him. He knew his looks could get him anyone he desired, so what exactly does his sex life currently entail? I wonder how many girls he's slept with so far...
"What are you thinking about?"
His deep voice shook me out of my reverie. "Hm?"
"You're daydreaming." He rested his arm around me and gently rubbed my shoulder.
Such an intimate gesture made me tense up. "Mind your business."
Kayden tutted playfully. "You're always telling me to mind my business, but tell me your problems anyway."
"I won't be doing that again."
"Why?"
"Just because." I shrugged his arm off me and held my knees. "I don't like people knowing about my personal life."
"I'm not just 'people' though, am I?"
"Technically, you are."
"Technically, you're bullshitting."
That made me laugh.
"I'm always gonna be there for you, Ree. Even if you don't want me to be."
I sighed at his stubbornness and closed my eyes. It took me a while to realise that he was stroking my hair. It was soothing and made me feel drowsy. I was quickly reminded of my mum touching my hair like this; so delicately with care and affection. The image was crystal clear in my memory now.
We fell silent after that. I wasn't sure how many minutes ticked by, but his strong hands weaved through my curly locks, brushing over my scalp and making me sigh contentedly.
"You have really nice hair," he said.
I smiled faintly at the compliment, still with my eyes shut. By now my head was resting on his lap and I could feel his eyes on me. I don't know how this position came to be, but I was way too comfortable to move now.
"Thanks."
"Where are you from?"
I yawned before answering: "My dad's Trini and my mum was from Eritrea, but I was born here."
There was a long pause. "Was?"
"What about you?" I quickly asked, desperate to change the subject. I didn't realise what I had said, but I didn't want to dwell on it. My heart picked up speed again as I willed for him to move on.
His hand still caressed my scalp. Thankfully, he answered me. "My dad's from Jamaica and my mum's half Bajan, half Spanish. Born here, too."
I hummed in thought, then I paused. "Wait, your mum's Spanish?"
"Yeah."
I turned on my back and finally opened my eyes to glance up at him. Now I was really intrigued. "Can you understand it?"
His brow crinkled as he thought. "Bits and pieces."
"Can you speak it?"
Kayden smirked. "Creo que me gustas."
I blinked and looked at him in bewilderment. The smooth language literally rolled off his tongue; I didn't expect it to sound so ... sensual.
"What did you just say?"
He tapped his nose.
I huffed and decided to ignore it for now. "Are you fluent?"
He scratched his head. "Not really. I used to speak it when I was younger but I fell out of the habit."
"Ugh, typical."
"Can you even speak Eritrean?"
"Eritrean's speak nine different languages, babe."
Kayden tutted. "Your mother tongue," he corrected.
"Yeah. I can, actually."
"Gwarn then."
I smiled sweetly at him. "No."
"Why?"
"I don't have to obey you. Prick." He pinched my neck and I squealed in laughter. "What the hell? Don't do that!"
"You're too cheeky, man." He pinched my cheek hard and I giggled.
"Seriously, stop! That tickles."
"Think you're bad, yeah?" His fingers plucked at my neck again and I squirmed, trying to get away from the playful assault. He grabbed my legs just as I was trying to crawl away and yanked me across the bed, quickly clambering on top of me to pin me down. My body instantly froze when I registered our position. I felt his warm breath on the nape of my neck and the powerful grip of his hands on my wrists. I was completely caged beneath him with no way of escape.
"Why are you so rude?" he asked by my ear.
My heart thumped at the throaty voice. "Get off me."
"Answer my question."
"Kayden, you're heavy."
"Is that how you talk to all guys, or just me?" I yanked against his firm hold on my arm but to no avail. For someone so lean and slim, he weighed a tonne. Didn't make no damn sense! His grip merely tightened as he brought his lips close to my ear. "Is it your way of flirting?"
"Piss off."
I could literally hear his smile. "Be careful what you say, Ree."
"I don't care! You're fucking heavy. You really get on my nerves you kn-..." Soft lips brushing my neck caused me to choke up. My stomach flipped and my heart raced as Kayden began to kiss along my neck. The kisses trailed from one end, to the middle. I gasped when he began to suck on my skin.
No no no no — what's happening?!
"Kayden," I muttered in warning.
"Why are you doing this to me?" he whispered.
"Doing what?" I swallowed hard and realised just how dangerous it was for him to be on top of me right now. Once he got going, he wouldn't stop, and I don't want to do something I'll regret.
But damn were his lips soft.
A small grunt left his mouth, yet he continued to hold me down while his lips attacked my neck.
"Acting like nothing's going on between us." His lips shifted from the crook of my neck to my ear, and he playfully bit my earlobe. My body quivered and my hips shifted as I tried to get him off me.
"I'm not acting like anything," I retorted through a strained throat. If I don't stop him now, I guarantee a moan will slip out. This was such a sinful situation right now, but it felt so good, I was beginning to feel guilty already.
"We didn't almost kiss yesterday?" he asked.
The rhetorical question hung in the air and hesitance washed over me before I found my voice again. "No, we didn't." I moved my hips again and Kayden grunted.
"So you're rude and a liar?" Kayden low voice rumbled my eardrums and I quickly shut my eyes, repressing a groan. "Keep going and see what I do to you."
"You wouldn't hurt me," I reasoned.
"I didn't say anything about pain."
My chest tightened and I squeezed my eyes shut. Jesus is Lord. Stuffing my face into the sheets, I whined quietly, "I have Leon."
Kayden's movements paused and his grip loosened slightly. My body remained completely still. Had I finally gotten through to him? Was he going to stop? Had I succeeded?
"What if you didn't?"
That question literally paralysed me. I waited for the thumping of my heart to die down a little bit and swallowed the troublesome lump in my throat. Kayden's hefty body was still on top of mine, his groin right against my backside, his lips by my neck and his hands caging my wrists. I think we had reached the point of no return — but I can't give up here. Kayden was sexy as hell, but he can't always get what he wants. I had to remember that Leon was still there!
Kayden chuckled when he realised I couldn't form an answer. "He's the only thing stopping me from pulling these jeans down right now." He finally released my wrists and buried his face in my neck, making me flinch. "You've got a nice fat ass. He's a lucky man."
I'm pretty sure my entire face was red at this point. My heart went into overdrive, thrumming wildly against my chest. My thighs clenched and my skin tingled. I was a helpless mess because of him.
"Stop," I croaked.
Just like that, I felt a loss of heat and contact and suddenly Kayden was off me. He rested back against the headboard and I sat up in a daze. So that's all it takes? Me saying stop? Something deep within me knew that, but the daredevil side wanted to see how far he'd go.
I'm never taking a serious gamble like that again.
Enough is enough.
"We can't keep doing this anymore," I said firmly.
Kayden simply looked at me and smiled. "Sorry."
"No! This isn't a joke, Kayden. You can't just say sorry and expect everything to be okay."
For a split second, he genuinely looked sorry. "Okay, calm down. I understand."
"Do you though?" He extended his arm but I leaned back, shifting away from him. "Don't touch me."
"I told you I can't get enough of you."
"Then you should stop coming here."
He sighed and held his hands up in defeat. "Okay, I'll stop."
I breathed a sigh of relief and sat against the headboard beside him, looking up at the ceiling. I was struggling with the fact that I was mildly turned on by him, but I knew it was wrong. I knew and I still allowed him to do it. Why the hell...?
"I know you want it."
My eyes snapped in his direction and I scowled. "Excuse me?"
"I see how you react and the way your body moves, Rebecca."
I kissed my teeth. "That doesn't mean anything. You act like you know me. You don't know anything, trust me." I wish I had turned away at that moment, because he subconsciously bit his lip, making that dimple show. My voice withered away and I cleared my throat, annoyed that I had yet another weak moment. Why was he so aesthetically pleasing? "How did you get that, by the way?"
He realised what I was referring to and stopped biting his lip, making the dimple disappear. "Born with it," he answered laconically with a shrug.
My phone vibrated. Thinking it was Brooklyn, I quickly answered, ready to apologise for Kayden hanging up on her earlier.
"Hey, sorry about before."
"What?"
The deep voice made me jolt. I checked the caller I.D. and sighed. "Thought you were someone else."
Leon hummed. "Cool."
"...so?"
"What? I can't call my girl and say hi?"
"Whatever. I called you yesterday and you acted like a prick. Why should I even talk to you?"
"I was gonna apologise, init. Where are you?"
"My room."
"Ah, okay."
After a long pause, I rolled my eyes. "Well?"
"Yeah, sorry."
I sputtered a laugh. "Is that it?"
"I was pissed off yesterday and I took it out on you. I shouldn't have."
I grumbled in thought. Speaking of things we shouldn't do... I glanced at Kayden who was on his phone and he looked up. We caught eyes and I turned away, feeling guilty as hell now.
"I accept your apology," I muttered.
Leon smiled through the phone. I could picture his perfect teeth and smooth lips forming a stupid grin. "When can I see you?"
Suddenly Kayden's phone rang and he checked the screen before getting up off the bed. "I'll be back, yeah?" He left the room before I could say a word.
I realised Leon had gone quiet. "Who was that?" he demanded, his voice suddenly growing dark.
"My friend."
"I don't know his voice. What kinda friend is that?"
I sighed. "Leon-..."
"And you got this friend in your room, yeah?" he chuckled, but he was anything but joyful. "Am I a dickhead, Becca?"
"You're jumping to conclusions, calm dow-"
"Don't tell me what to FUCKING do!"
I brought the phone away from my ear as he began to yell and curse. Even with the phone away from my ear, I could hear how angry he was, his deep voice rumbling through the phone, creating a static-like sound. I don't think I'd ever heard him this angry before.
After a moment, I put the phone back to my ear. "You're not listening. I'm gonna leave you to calm down."
"ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID REBECCA? DON'T MAKE ME-"
I hung up and threw my phone on the bed, releasing a heavy sigh. Straight away it vibrated again. I busied Leon's call and shut my eyes for a moment. Just when things were getting back on track, this happens. I don't even know who to blame at this point.
Almost on cue, Kayden came back in the room. "Sorry, that was my mum."
"Oh, it's fine."
He studied my face for a second. "You alright?"
I nodded and turned to my phone that was still vibrating. Kayden looked at me then at the phone, before glancing at me again.
"You gonna get that?"
"It's okay."
He wasn't stupid; my emotions blatantly showed on my face. I was like an open book, especially around him; almost transparent.
Regardless, Kayden pulled me up from the bed, making me crash into his firm chest as he gave me a massive bear hug. I was frozen for a moment, my nose inhaling that delectable Joop scent and making my head swim. My body shuddered and I quickly pushed away from him before he tried anything else. I never knew what to expect with this guy, and that was the dangerous thing about him.
No more mind games, no more tricks.
His russet-brown eyes searched mine, and then he finally moved back, giving me some space.
"I won't come anymore," he promised in a low tone.
I nodded, a little surprised that he wasn't putting up a fight. This was for the best anyway, right? There was no way I could stay around someone who could break down my walls so easily with their charm alone. Kayden and I were clearly dangerous together.
Through the awkward silence, I cleared my throat. "So..."
Kayden grabbed his hat from the bed and put it on, making his eyes appear hooded and even more carnal than before. "You working tomorrow?"
"Unfortunately."
He gave a small smile. "Then I'll see you tomorrow."
"Yeah. See you."
He gave a lingering look, and for a few moments, my eyes were captured by his. No words were exchanged, yet we had a conversation with our gazes alone.
'This won't be the last time I come here...'
That's what I saw in his expression alone. Despite what happened today, he was determined to stay in my life. I didn't know if that was admirable or stupid, but I had to make sure that I shot him down every time for the sake of my relationship. Plus, I'm not an easy girl to deal with, and Kayden needs to understand that.
"Bye Ree."
"Later."
He left the room and I heard his massive feet descend the stairs, and the door shutting seconds after.
I didn't have time to process everything, as soon as Kayden left, Andre's head popped through the gap in my door.
"Leon's on the phone for you."
It was only then that I noticed the house phone in Andre's hands. I growled instantly. Seriously, our landline is just for show, who the hell calls house phones these days? He must be that desperate to talk to me.
"Tell him to piss off," was all I said.
Andre looked confused, but he nodded and left, shutting the door behind him.
I sighed and collapsed on my bed. In the short amount of time Leon and I have been together, he's never raised his voice at me like that. I would never sit back and tolerate such behaviour, and if I forgive him now, then he would start to believe that he can talk to me any way he wants, and I don't play that shit.
As for Kayden ... that guy was an enigma. He was straight-forward with his advances, charming, silly and dominant all wrapped into one. I couldn't help but feel slightly turned on by him. It was a mild interest at first, but now he was beginning to ruin my life. No matter what, I have to make sure I'm more firm with him, so that situations like today won't repeat themselves. I'm not a cheater, and I never will be.
After a few minutes of contemplating my crumbling love-life, I headed downstairs to the kitchen for some food. Along the way, I saw Andre watching me from the living-room. I paused in my tracks and looked at him.
"What?"
"Is that guy your new man?"
I almost collapsed at the question. Andre wasn't the first one to assume Kayden and I were together, and quite frankly, I was getting sick of having to defend our ... friendship, or whatever the hell it was we have together. At this point, it had gone beyond annoying and was becoming downright offensive.
"No," I answered sternly. "Leon was here recently, how could you think that?"
He shrugged. "You might be cheating, I don't know."
I screwed instantly. "Are you stupid, Andre?"
The grin on his face annoyed me. "What? I'm just saying, init."
"You better act right before I tell Jasmine."
His mocking smile faded and a grim expression marred his face. "What you chatting about?"
Now it was my turn to smile. "Not laughing anymore now, are you?" I gave him a sweet smile and continued on to the kitchen. Andre followed closely behind, his panicked face making me chuckle. "What's up? You hungry?"
"How do you know Jasmine?" he demanded straight away.
I grabbed a massive serving spoon from the fridge and took the lid off the dutch pot, inhaling the sweet aroma of curry goat. Dad was the best cook I knew, hands down. As I dished some food on a plate, I turned back to Andre, who was still waiting for an answer.
"We go way back," I said with a smile. "She comes to Footlocker from time to time. I give her discounts and everything."
Andre looked like he was in pain. He held his forehead and mumbled "fuck" under his breath.
"Exactly. So carry on being a dickhead and I'll expose you. And you know I will, too."
He glared at me before leaving the kitchen and sprinting up the stairs. I cackled loud enough for him to hear. I guess he was going to call his girlfriend and tell her to stop frequenting the shop. Ah well.
I was munching some food in no time, opting to sit in the living room for a change and watch some films. It's been a while since I've relaxed like this. Lately, I've been so preoccupied with work and college I completely forgot what tranquility felt like.
Just then I heard the door slam. I sighed.
I spoke too soon.
Such loudness could only be Kieran, and as his stupid face came into view through the door, my suspicions were correct.
"Dad here?" he asked straight away.
That was his favourite question, and I knew exactly why he asked it. "He went to see Aunty Sarah."
"Cool." Suddenly a girl stepped into the room behind him. I wasn't even surprised at this point. For most people, ordinary hobbies consisted of writing, singing, art, sports, etc. For Kieran, though, his hobby was running through as many girls as humanly possible. I couldn't help but be disgusted by him sometimes. Just give him a brightly-coloured suede suit, a fedora and a cane — then he'll be set.
I took the time to analyse the girl. She was pretty, with clear caramel skin and medium-length straight weave. That's not what caught my eye, though. She wore a fitted crop top that made her breasts prominent, and a short skirt that exposed her wide thighs. If there was one thing I already knew about this girl, it was the fact that she obviously disagreed with buying clothes her size. Something about her seemed familiar, but I didn't want to stare too long and make it seem like I was interested.
After showing my disdain to the thousandth girl Kieran had brought home, I swiftly turned away and went back to the movie.
"Do you know when he'll be back?" Kieran asked, referring to Dad.
"Nope."
"Alright." I turned back to look at him and quickly wished I hadn't. Kieran was squeezing this girls bum while giving her bedroom eyes. "Let's go upstairs, b." She giggled and he led her out of the living-room.
I almost threw up then and there.
At this point, I was willing for him to catch something. I knew for a fact Kieran was irresponsible when it came to sex — not that it's something I even want to think about, but it was painfully obvious by now. If he ever did catch anything, I'd just laugh in his face and give him a leaflet on aids for his birthday.
Later on that evening I was on the phone to Chris. I'd been laughing the entire time since he told me about getting his penis caught in his zipper.
"Stop laughing now," he grunted.
I wiped my eyes and cleared my throat. "Sorry, sorry. I'm good." He sighed and I burst out laughing again. "Fuck, sorry! How does that even happen?" I screeched.
"I don't know, man! I went to piss and pulled up my boxers but the hole in the front was open for some reason, so it got caught when I zipped up my jeans."
I was too far gone at this point, and eventually, Chris got so annoyed he locked off, which made me laugh even harder. What an idiot; why call to tell me when you know I'd laugh at you for 10 minutes straight?
My laughter quickly died down when I heard a distant thud against the wall. I stayed perfectly still, praying that it wasn't what I thought it was.
But it was.
The thuds became incessant, and I heard a rhythm and a faint moan to match. Kieran's room was unfortunately next to mine, so there was no mistaking the sounds. I got under the covers and swiftly plugged my headphones into my iPod, putting my playlist on shuffle to block out the horrific noises.
I shut my eyes and tried to envision something else to calm me down. Kayden's face came into view, and I pictured him at the edge of the bed, slowly climbing on top of me and flashing that delicious smirk. Without hesitation, his hand found the zipper of my trousers and he began to gently tug it down, his eyes incredibly suggestive.
'It's my turn now,' he whispered on my neck.
My eyes snapped open and I threw my iPod across the room. Why would Trey Songz play at a time like this!
The thudding sound from next door continued, and I quickly became annoyed. I couldn't help but think of the girl and how she carried herself. She seemed strangely familiar to me, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I pictured her face, the tight clothes, the weave...
That was the same hair I saw on Facebook. The same face, the same dress sense, the same smile...
Suddenly everything clicked and I quickly bolted up in shock.
That wasn't just any random girl Kieran was fucking...
That was Olivia! 

No comments:

Post a Comment