Wednesday 23 October 2013

Chapter five

The next day I woke up and did the same routine. Of course, Kieran was in the bathroom before me, so I went downstairs to turn the cold water on blast to speed him up. It was safe to say that my migraines had calmed down, but I still had a slight cold. Hopefully, it was all down to my hayfever and nothing else.
Almost an hour later I was entering Footlocker. I was constantly asked if I was feeling better after my ordeal yesterday. All I could do was put on a smile for the team. After putting my belongings away, I went to the till to do some general customer service. We had a massive delivery today; Stacey and Mohammed were busy in the stock room dealing with it, so I had to stay on the shop floor to keep an eye on things. It wasn't really busy, so I decided to continue working on my paperwork for Herman.
A few hours later, business began to pick up. It was already 3:25 p.m., which meant rush hour was officially here. I witnessed school kids come and go; some came in clusters, trying on numerous pairs of trainers. After I'd done an exchange for an elderly woman, I served two teenage girls next. I glanced at the pretty pair. One of them was dark-skinned with freckles dusted around her cheeks. She had straight black hair tied in a high ponytail. The other was of a light complexion with striking brown eyes and thick black hair. She looked familiar...
"Can I get a return please?" the familiar one asked. She had such a cute high voice, I couldn't help but smile.
I briefly examined the pair of Nike trainers in the box. "Sure. Do you have your receipt?"
She nodded and began searching through her oversized handbag. The other girl tapped her nails on the counter, watching her friend struggle.
"Can't you find it?" she asked her.
Her brown eyes crinkled with worry. "No. I swear I had it in my pocket..." She began to empty her handbag onto the counter. She took out her oyster, her Vaseline, her debit card, money, keys, chewing gum ... everything. Once her bag was completely empty, she looked up at me. "I don't have it on me."
I frowned, I was really rooting for her to find it. "I'm afraid I can't issue a return."
The girl huffed in annoyance and began checking her pockets.
"Do you think you left it in your other bag?" her friend asked.
The girl pouted and shrugged. "I don't know. I can't believe I came all this way." She sighed and started putting her belongings back in her bag. "Such a waste of time."
I watched her for a moment longer, trying to decipher why she looked so familiar to me. Then I realised where I had seen her face ... on Andre's phone. This must be his little boo thang, Jasmine. I smiled and picked the box up.
"Actually, I think I can make an exception."
Jasmine and her friend looked up at me with raised brows. "Really?" she asked.
"Yeah. Since I know you, it's okay."
She looked even more stunned. "Do you?"
I nodded, scanning the tag on the trainer and doing an Item Return instead of a Receipt Return. "Pop your card in for me."
Jasmine was hesitant, watching me curiously as she slipped her card into the machine, then she tapped in her pin. I entered the details and printed off a slip. "Sign here and put your address here."
She filled in the small slip before sliding it back to me. "How do you know me? Have we met before?"
I found her confusion endearing. "We haven't met. I don't technically know you, but my brother does."
"Who's your brother?"
"Andre."
Jasmine's lips broke out into a shy smile. I printed the receipt and handed it to her. She took the thin paper and stuffed into her bag, her cheeks relatively red. "Thanks for doing the return."
I put a finger to my lips. "Don't tell anyone."
Her and her friend laughed and Jasmine nodded. "Thanks...?"
"Rebecca."
"Thank you, Rebecca. Tell Andre I said hi."
"No worries. I'll let that ragamuffin know." I gave her a wink and she shyly waved as they walked away and left the store. She was lucky; if my heart wasn't as pure as gold I would have turned her away, but I had my moments.
I continued with the worksheet, feeling mildly accomplished as I was three-quarters done. The questions were becoming easier somehow. I felt like nothing could stop this concentration. Just then, the door opened and Kayden strolled in. I groaned and ducked underneath the counter. So much for concentration.
"Please don't see me," I muttered to myself. There was no way I could face him after that phonecall yesterday. Shanay had lied to him about me attending that rave. I didn't want to go, but I knew how persuasive he could be.
I heard heavy footsteps fade away and the staff room door shut. Slowly, I lifted my head and peeked over the till. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that he was nowhere in sight. Instead, there was a customer waiting to be served; a slim black guy with an Adidas cap. I suddenly felt embarrassed. It must have looked dodgy the way I was literally in hiding. I straightened myself and quickly served him.
"Would you like your receipt?" I asked.
He watched me closely and flashed a smile. God, he was handsome. "I'm good. Could do with your number, though."
I was taken aback by the forwardness. It was rare for me to be speechless, but I honestly didn't know how to react. Did he not care that I was on my shift? "I don't give my number out."
He laughed, his gold tooth gleamed in the light. "That's a shame. I'll have to keep coming back until you change your mind."
How was he so confident?! My mind was rattled at this point, and I gave a nervous laugh. What's happened to me lately? I used to be able to shut a guy down in an instant, but recently it's been hard. Has Kayden officially broken down my defensive walls?
As if I'd called on the devil himself, a figure suddenly loomed behind me. Kayden's hand ran down my arm torturously slow before squeezing my hand. My eyes bugged at such an intimate touch, and I glanced at him. His brown eyes weren't focused on me, though, they were staring straight at the guy. "Can I get you anything?" he asked in a mocking tone.
The guy looked at Kayden, then to me, before glancing at Kayden again. "Nah." His eyes rested on me once more. "I'll come back when it's less busy."
"Have a nice evening," Kayden said amiably, his hand still on mine.
The man sneered and turned away before leaving the store. When he left, I shrugged Kayden off of me and glared at him. "What the hell was that?"
"You looked uncomfortable so I stepped in."
"I can handle things by myself, thanks."
Kayden leaned on the counter, watching me closely. "I already said I know you can hold your own."
"So why are you playing superhero?"
"I didn't like the way he was looking at you."
"You're acting like I'm yours to protect."
The smile on his lips said so much, yet not enough. I didn't want to ask, though. "I can't promise that it won't happen again."
"Whatever, you're so annoying."
He chuckled and I was finally saved by someone approaching the till. It was two mix-raced girls, roughly our age. Straight away their gaze fell on Kayden and they went straight to his till. I rolled my eyes; I was so used to girls fawning over him at work, and I knew that he loved it. Somehow, with Kayden on the shop floor, our sales and ATV always did so well. I don't know how he does it.
"I'll get this pair but I've changed my mind on these." One of the girls who wore barely any clothing plopped one box of trainers on the counter and shoved the other one aside.
Kayden began to serve, scanning the trainers through and placing them in a bag. "You don't want both?"
"I don't think the Converses look good on my feet."
"I told her they look fine but she's just paro," the other girl commented with a roll of the eyes. She was the complete opposite, dressed modestly with curly brown locks.
Kayden chuckled, showcasing his perfect teeth and cute dimple. The girls fell into a trance. He picked up the unwanted Converses and checked the size on the label. "You're a size four?"
The half-naked girl nodded, her piercing eyes stuck on him.
"They're bound to look good on your feet. Small feet are cute in general, you can rock anything you want."
She suddenly turned coy. "Alright, if you think that, I'll get them."
"Would you like another bag?"
"Yes please."
I watched the scene in complete shock. The whole thing was ridiculous, all he had to do was smile, say a few words, and girls were swooning. For the time being, I had to ignore the fact that I was one of those girls.
After the transaction went through, he handed her the bags over the counter and wished them a good day. They both waved, giggling to each other as they left. The total was over £100.
I take that back, I know exactly how he does it.
"Using your good looks to trick girls into spending more money, I see you."
Kayden looked at me with a smirk. "So you think I'm good-looking?"
My face dropped. I was ready to tease him but he'd already turned the tables. "That's not what I'm saying."
"You just said it."
"You know what? Forget it."
He smiled and noticed my worksheet on the counter. "You finished it yet?"
"Nah. Still got a few pages to go. I have time to complete it, though."
"Need help?"
I glanced at that gorgeous face and sighed, shaking my head. "I'm good."
Throughout the shift, Kayden and I were assigned different tasks, so we barely got to converse. I was happy for it since that meant I spent less time getting flustered and angered by him. On my lunch break, I was reading a magazine while eating pasta, finally happy to relax for a while. It wasn't long before Kayden entered with a bag of KFC. I avoided his gaze as he sat on the table opposite me and began eating.
"What you reading?"
"Fashion mag."
He munched on his chicken and looked at me. "You read a lot?"
I shrugged. "Sometimes. More when I was younger, though."
He nodded and began looking through his phone. "How are you feeling today?"
"A lot better, thanks."
We fell quiet. Moments passed as I continued to eat, but I noticed his eyes were on me, as always.
I frowned. "Again?"
He chuckled. "You don't know how cute you look when you eat."
I rolled my eyes and closed my container. "I'm not eating around you anymore."
Kayden laughed. "Don't be like that."
I hummed and opted for a drink instead, downing my Evian bottle. For what it was worth, I was glad Kayden hadn't asked me that question I had dreaded hearing all day.
"You still down for the rave?"
I sighed and shut my eyes. Never mind, then.
When I opened my eyes, I was met with that damn smirk that made me feel hot inside. His face alone made me weak sometimes.
"I was never on it, Kayden."
He raised a brow. "Your friend said you were."
"Exactly. My friend said it, not me. The fact that you didn't hear it from my mouth is proof alone." I stood up and threw my rubbish away before putting my container back in the locker. Lunch was almost over, so I had to make sure I was ready to go back on the shop floor. As I headed for the door, a firm hand gripped my wrist. I turned back to see Kayden watching me with a sincere expression.
"It's just a rave. I already got your ticket, why don't you just come?"
That handsome face wasn't going to work on me this time. If I didn't want to do something then I shouldn't have to do it. I wasn't one to get forced or peer pressured into a motive, my parents didn't raise me like that.
"I don't feel like it."
"Why not?"
"I don't rave."
"It's one event."
"Doesn't matter."
"But-"
"Fucking hell, man! I don't wanna go with you, stop forcing it! You can be so fucking annoying. Just let it go, fuck sake!" I yanked away from his grip, feeling truly irritated at his constant badgering. I avoided looking at his face as I left the staffroom.
Throughout the rest of my shift, we didn't exchange any words. It wasn't that Kayden was blatantly ignoring my presence, but he was acting like I was a complete stranger. It made me reflect on my words and actions. I suppose what I said was slightly badmind—only slightly. The fact that he didn't speak to me was almost concerning, it just wasn't like him.
"Have a nice day," I chimed to the girl after she paid for her tracksuit. She walked out of the shop and I sighed. Long day. I glanced at the clock to see it was 4:57 p.m. I yanked off my lanyard, leaving the till area and walking through to the staffroom. My shift was officially over; I was so thankful to leave all the tension behind.
It was a blessing when I didn't see Kayden in the staffroom. After grabbing my belongings, I said my goodbyes and left Footlocker, then paused in my tracks when I noticed Kayden leaving too. He knew I was there, yet chose not to do anything about it. He began down the road and I paced beside him, analysing his handsome face. I hated to admit it, but Kayden really was a sexy guy; with his smooth skin, defined jaw and plump lips. His hair wasn't in cornrows today, this time it was pulled back into a huge puff.
"You alright?" I asked, trying to start a conversation, something he usually did.
He glanced at me before looking ahead again. "Yeah, you?"
"Are you really okay?"
He visibly sighed. "What is it?"
Wow ... the first time he's ever been snappy with me. I must've really hurt his feelings. I decided then and there I was going to swallow my pride and apologise. I can't help that my mouth can be foul, but it wasn't really an excuse.
"Sorry," I muttered. I hate saying sorry. I hate it so much. I rarely say it unless it was absolutely necessary.
He only grunted in return. His offish attitude was something I definitely wasn't used to.
"C'mon, Kayden. I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have said what I said. You were just being friendly, so I should've been nicer about it." He merely stuffed his hands in his pockets and shrugged, not really taking it in. "Kayden ... I'll go to the rave with you," I appeased.
He finally looked at me with cold eyes. "Don't force it."
"I'm not. It's the least I can do." If it will make him talk to me again, then I'll do it. I wasn't sure why it even mattered to me that much, but I couldn't let Kayden stay mad at me like this.
We crossed the road and his long legs continued their stride. "Just forget it."
"No. Look, you're obviously upset and I want to make it right. I'll come with you, not because I have to, but because I want to, okay?"
This time when Kayden looked at me, it was with a soft expression and a small smirk, showing that dimple. "Alright, if you say so."
I couldn't help but mirror his smile.
We walked the rest of the way in silence. I enjoyed the little stroll, just taking in the ambiance of Brixton and the warm May weather. After a short while, we arrived at my door. I halted and he looked at me.
"You going to your friend's yard again?" he questioned.
I simply smiled. "I lied to you. This is actually my house."
He laughed and shook his head. "Anything else you lying about?" he mocked. I shook my head with a chuckle, feeling relieved that we could banter once more. He turned away. "See you tomorrow, yeah?" he began to walk off.
"Wait," I called out. He stopped to look at me and I froze in place. Why did I even speak? What am I trying to do here? "You wanna come in for a bit?"
What am I doing?
Kayden was hesitant. I could see was shocked, his brown eyes bugging slightly as he bit his lip in thought. Time seemed to stand still as we watched one another. Kayden's body language changed completely, and he appeared more relaxed as he stepped closer. He reached for my gate and opened it.
"Ladies first," he said.
I swallowed hard and walked through. He followed closely behind and we both walked to the front door. For some reason I felt nervous, just knowing his body was behind mine, emitting warm heat and clouding my nose with his delectable scent. Using my keys, I opened the door and we walked inside. I quickly prayed that my family wasn't up to some kind of foolishness today. The house was fairly quiet. Kayden shut the door behind him and I kicked off my trainers. I knew Dad wasn't home yet, Andre was likely around somewhere, and Kieran ... well, he got around in a different way. When he wasn't at work, he was out meeting different women. The joys of being a bachelor.
"Where should I put my trainers?" Kayden asked. I pointed to the shoe rack and he placed them neatly along with mine. I watched as he slipped off his jacket and hung it on the banister before looking around. "Nice house."
"Thanks." I shrugged off my jacket and did the same before turning to him. "Want a drink or anything?"
He shook his head. "I'm good, thanks."
Just then I heard voices from the living room and the TV blaring suddenly. I padded to the room to see Andre and his friend, Isaiah, sat on the sofa flicking through channels.
"Turn that down, it's loud," I scolded with a screw.
Andre looked at me and rolled his eyes before turning down the volume. "Always nagging, man."
"I think the match starts soon," Isaiah said. "Go to Sky Sports."
"Who's playing?" Kayden's deep voice rattled my ears as he stepped behind me. The boys turned to him and Andre was taken aback by a stranger in our home.
"Arsenal and Liverpool," he answered.
"Arsenal's been doing good this season, Liverpool might have some trouble."
Isaiah laughed. "Your man is funny, Rebecca."
"He's not-" I sighed and shook my head, not even bothered to argue and give Isaiah the satisfaction, or Kayden for that matter.
The devil himself was smirking.
"Dad said he'll be home later, he's going to see Uncle Devon first," Andre informed me.
I nodded. "Alright. I've already eaten so make sure you sort yourself out."
He only grumbled in response and I led Kayden upstairs to my room. There was no way I could spend another minute with those two, I'd end up banging their heads together. Once we got upstairs I collapsed on my bed while Kayden had a little look around. I didn't mind him preeing, he was obsessed with me so it was only natural.
I found it cute how his brows raised when he looked at my collage of pictures on the wall. It was as if he was at a gallery, he genuinely seemed intrigued.
"You really haven't changed much," he commented, pointing at a picture of me and Shanay back in year 7. "Is this Battersea Park School?"
"Yep. You can tell by the uniform?"
He nodded. "A couple of my boys went there." His eyes scanned the other pictures and he smiled. "You were a cute baby, Ree."
I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."
"You still have the same button nose and fleeky eyebrows."
I couldn't help but laugh. "Shut up."
He gave a teasing smirk and sat beside me on the bed. As expected, he began to stare at me. I looked back, confused as to how he can openly watch me all the time without shame. I could never read his expressions, either.
"What's actually wrong with you?"
"Can't I admire?"
"You're creepy, man." I sat back up and shook my head. "Shouldn't have let you in."
He laughed. "Then why did you?"
"Pity."
Kayden kissed his teeth and pushed me in the shoulder. We both laughed and bounced on the mattress. "Is it just you, your brother and your dad?"
"I have an older brother who comes and goes whenever he pleases."
He laughed and nodded. "What about your mum?"
The question took me by surprise, and I swallowed hard before looking away, feeling slight palpitations in my chest. This question always haunted me, and my body reacted the same every damn time.
"She's not around."
Kayden frowned a little. "Ah, sorry."
"Don't be."
An hour passed and we were chatting while listening to music. I had my doubts at first, but Kayden was so calm to chill with. I wasn't sure if it would be awkward or not to have him in my room, but now I was glad I let him in. We were discussing films when Kanye West started playing through my speakers. Kayden's face suddenly twisted in disgust.
"Change this," he spat.
The sudden change of behaviour made me laugh. "Why?"
"I just don't like Kanye, man. He has a few good tunes here and there but he's shit overall."
If only Shanay were around to hear this! "I don't think he's shit," I teased with a smile.
Kayden's face scrunched up even more, if that were possible. "He's just sad. No wonder his girl left him. He was a fucking wreck just cause he didn't know how to keep a girl. You think if my girl left me I'd go moping around making tunes called Heartless?" He kissed his teeth. I burst out laughing and he looked at me. The fact that he was so passionate about his distaste made it even funnier.
"I guess you don't like Jay-Z either?"
He gave a shrug. "They're all the same. I prefer U.K rappers."
I laughed. "Fair enough. You want anything?"
"Besides you?" I slapped his arm and he chuckled. "You got any juice?"
"Apple and orange."
"Apple please."
"Coming up." I slid off the bed and felt his eyes on me as I left the room. Okay so Kayden was a flirtatious perv, but he was still cool to hang with. I just had to make sure that by the end of today, I've established a friendship level so that he didn't get any funny ideas. It might already be too late...
When I got to the kitchen, I poured some apple juice into a glass and felt a presence behind me. I turned and saw Isaiah stood in the doorway.
"You're like a rat. Where's Andre?" I asked.
"Watching football." His eyes scanned me curiously and I felt like throwing up. The same way Andre was infatuated with Shanay was the same way Isaiah was head over heels in love with me. He always has been ever since the first time Andre brought him round from primary school. Of course, I'm always blunt with him and remind him every day that he is literally two years old, but that never stopped him.
"Who's that yout upstairs?" he asked.
I laughed hard and put the juice carton away. "He's a big man to you. Don't worry who he is."
"So he's your man? Did you lock it off with Leon then?"
All smiles vanished at the question. I gave him a death glare and stepped closer. For a 14-year-old he was oddly tall, but I still managed to stand my ground. "Mind your business, little man. Go back to your football."
He watched me for a few seconds and I swear I could see a little blush in his cheeks. Without any other words, he slinked away back into the living room. I tutted and brought the glass upstairs. Kayden was resting against my headboard, one knee up, while he concentrated on his phone. He glanced up when I shoved the glass in his face.
"Thanks, Ree."
I watched in awe as he tipped his head back and began to chug the whole glass down. I swallowed hard at the sight. His adams apple bobbed as he effortlessly gulped down the liquid. Somehow he finished in three gulps max. Damn, he was so fine.
He must be very good with his mouth...
"Do you have a girlfriend, Kayden?"
He placed the glass down on the side table. "Nah," he answered quietly before wiping his mouth.
I sat beside him and watched those moist lips. "Are you sure?"
He raised a brow. "Would I lie?"
"I dunno, would you?"
"Nah, I wouldn't. Why?"
I shrugged and retrieved my phone from my pocket. "Just curious."
"Asking for your own personal reasons?"
I scoffed at the idea. "Don't get excited, you're not that nice." Kayden chuckled, flashing those perfectly straight teeth and dimple. I breathed deeply and looked away. Okay, he is that nice. More than nice.
"So why did you ask?"
"Am I not allowed to ask questions? Don't get any ideas. Besides, I already have a man."
Curious brown eyes gaped at me and I realised what slipped out. I watched his face for any signs of disappointment, but he was more surprised.
"Serious?"
"Is that hard to believe?" I questioned with a quirked brow.
"Nah, it isn't. He's very lucky. You're beautiful."
My chest tightened at such a pure compliment. I couldn't look into those earnest eyes any longer so I turned away, trying my best to contain a shy smile that threatened to slip out. "Stop it," I mumbled.
"It's true, you really are."
"That's nice of you."
Kayden simply shrugged. "I shouldn't even be shocked. Of course you'd have a man."
I glanced at him. "It's only been a few months."
"He's lucky I didn't get there first," Kayden smirked and my heart thumped. I swear this guy will be the death of me. Suddenly he leaned closer, breathing in my ear. "You know that, don't you?"
"What do I know?" I questioned, keeping my gaze trained on my phone to avoid eye contact.
"That if it were a few months earlier, I'd have you all to myself."
It was hard to swallow all of a sudden. My throat threatened to close up and my heart pumped erratically. Why was his voice so sensual and deep? Why was he saying these things when he knew I was taken? When he knew that it had an affect on me? Why!
"Things happen for a reason," I answered quietly.
Kayden's eyes were on me for a while before he finally pulled away. I felt like I could breathe again ... but at what cost? This was torture.
"Are you a virgin?" he asked.
I screwed instantly. "Why?"
"Am I not allowed to ask questions?" he challenged, using my own words against me. I narrowed my eyes. Touché.
"Pretty fucking personal, but yeah, I am."
He nodded slowly. "So your man has willpower then?"
"It's not about willpower. There are other intimate things a couple can do besides sex."
"I know. But still..." his eyes scanned my entire frame and I felt small under his gaze. "If it were me..."
That sentence alone was intriguing, leaving so many possibilities in the air. I shouldn't entertain it, I really shouldn't, however ... Kayden was way too interesting to me. "If it were you ... what?"
He bit his lip and watched me for a moment before shaking his head and looking away. "I shouldn't say. Nevermind."
I breathed heavily and felt a heaviness on my chest. I wonder just how erotic Kayden could get. It seemed like he couldn't control himself, and the carnal look in his eyes didn't go unnoticed. What would Kayden be like in the bedroom?
No. Stop it! Leon! Remember Leon, dammit!
Just then my phone rang. I answered straight away. "Hello?" I croaked.
"Becc's? What's up with your voice, you got a cold?"
I cleared my throat, feeling mildly frustrated and swallowed hard. "Nah, I'm good. What's up?"
"I'm bored. What are you doing?"
I sighed; Shanay never had anything substantial to say, always bothering me when she had nothing better to do. "Nothing really, just chilling with Kayden. What about you?"
"Doing coursework. You know that dead assignment Miss Gayle set us? It was due yesterday but my appointment made me- ... wait, did you just say Kayden?"
I laughed at how long it took for her to register the information. "Yes. Is there a problem?"
"Erm, yeah. Thought you hated the guy?"
"I do, but he's cool to vibe with." Kayden looked at me curiously and I flashed a forced smile.
Shanay sighed. "You baffle me. Are you both in your room?"
"Yeah."
She screeched. "Oh my God, has he tried anything?"
"What? No, calm down."
"I wanna speak to him!" I huffed at her overexcitement and threw my phone to Kayden. He caught it and gave me a weird look in return.
"Who is it?" he asked.
"The same friend from before. She wants to say hi."
He nodded and put the phone between his ear and shoulder, while still glancing at his own. "Yo." I heard Shanay scream on the other end and felt sick with embarrassment. The girl has no shame. "Yeah? Ah, safe b." I heard another squeal and shook my head.
"What's she saying?"
"That my voice is sexy." I kissed my teeth and he continued chatting. "Yeah, she said she's still coming." I could tell they were talking about the rave. Ugh. Shan continued to question him, causing him to smirk. "Yeah, a lot." Then I heard her squeal again.
"What is it this time?" I asked.
He put his finger to his lips. "Classified information."
"You two are talking about me. I have a right to know."
"You'd think that, wouldn't you?"
I raised my middle finger to him and he laughed, biting his lip. The sight alone was deadly so I looked away and grabbed my laptop from under the bed. While they continued to converse I scoped around on Facebook, wishing random people from school happy birthday, preeing people's statuses, and checking up on Leon's profile. There was nothing out of the ordinary on there, but somehow things have become distant between us. I can't even remember the last time we had a proper chat, or gone on a date, or anything couples usually did together. I didn't want to dwell on it now, though.
A few moments passed and it seemed like Kayden and Shanay were having a whale of a time. I could only screw him from afar, and eventually, he said goodbye before handing the phone over. When I looked at the screen, I realised Shanay had hung up.
"What the fuck? Did she only call to chat to you or something?"
Kayden laughed and shrugged. "I like her, she's funny."
"Marry her then," I growled.
He hummed in thought. "She got a man?"
I scowled at that. "She does, actually."
Kayden laughed. "What a shame."
I wanted to know about him personally. It seemed like this visit was all about unmasking my life, but I didn't know enough about him. He could be an enigma sometimes.
"What was your last relationship like?"
Kayden raised a brow at the brazen question. "Like any other relationship. Didn't last long, only a few months."
I nodded slowly. "Who ended it?"
"I did."
My eyes widened in shock. "What happened?"
He rested back on the headboard and gave a shrug. "She didn't trust me enough, always accused me of cheating when I wasn't. I got tired of it."
"Did you give her reason not to trust you?"
"Nah. She was jealous of my female friend at the time, so any time we met up, it was an issue."
I rested on the headboard beside him and looked at the ceiling. "Things like that could be tricky, especially if a girl is insecure."
"But I assured her every time that she was the only one for me. It's like she never took my word for it." Kayden shook his head, almost agitated at the memory. Then he turned to me. "Do you trust your man?"
"I guess."
He smirked. "You don't sound sure."
"I'm sure now."
"Only now? What happened?"
I couldn't help but laugh at how he managed to switch this onto me again. "I had my doubts at first, but only because there was proof on Facebook."
"Proof of what?"
I shrugged. "I thought he was seeing some girl, but she's a family friend. Same situation to yours, I guess."
"But now you trust him, right?"
I don't know why I couldn't answer at first. Did I really trust Leon? We've been fine all these months, this was only the first bump in the road, something that we could easily overcome. But trust is a big issue for me, so will everything go back to normal after this, or will I always have doubts in the back of my mind?
"Yeah," I finally answered.
He patted my thigh. "That's all that matters, then." He released a heavy sigh. "It's good that you told me about him."
"Why's it good?"
Kayden's eyes changed, turning predatory again. "Being alone with you like this, on your bed? We would've done something." His eyes were so mystifying I couldn't look away, and all of a sudden I had images in my head of us two rolling about on the bed, doing something not entirely innocent. I quickly shook the thoughts away and he pulled back, his face switching back to normal.
"You sound so sure," I mumbled.
"Because I am."
I can't forget about Leon. I'm not an unfaithful person ... there was just something about Kayden, though. But I could never cheat, I would never dream of it. Trust was something absolutely crucial for me, and I'm not one to be a hypocrite.
An abrupt knock came to my door. Knowing who it was instantly, I smiled.
"Come in."
Dad pushed the door open and looked straight at Kayden, then at me, then back to Kayden.
"Hey Dad," I beamed casually.
Dad's confusion was all over his face. I knew that Andre would tell him that I was upstairs with a random guy the minute he stepped in, but I had nothing to hide. Kayden and I were being completely harmless.
"How's Uncle?" I asked.
"Not too bad. Had to help him with his Sky Box. He said hello, though." His eyes slid to Kayden again. Might as well introduce him.
"This is Kayden, a friend from work."
Kayden stood up, suddenly towering over the bed, and approached the door to hold his hand out.
"Nice to meet you," he said.
Dad gave his hand a firm shake. "Likewise, Kayden." He turned back to me. "I'm putting some food on. You and your friend gonna be ready for some?"
"Could you cover mine? I'll eat later," I said.
Kayden shook his head, politely declining. "I'm alright, thanks. Heading home shortly."
Dad nodded and scrutinised Kayden for a second. "You like football?"
"Yeah."
"What team?"
"Arsenal."
Dad's mood suddenly lightened. "You see the match today?"
"Nah, I missed it. What was the score?"
"3-2 to Liverpool."
Kayden watched Dad's smirk and chuckled. "I'm guessing you're Liverpool, then."
"Of course, man. They might win the Prem."
"Nah they're gonna suffer when they play Man U."
Dad's brows rose. "Did you see the table? Man U are 4th now. Arsenal got licked down again."
Kayden laughed and shrugged. "I know they can bounce back."
"You lot need to change your manager, y'kna."
"What's going on here?" I muttered. They both turned to me and laughed.
"I'll be downstairs," Dad announced before leaving the room. I was in shock.
"Your dad is cool," Kayden said.
I wasn't sure how to take this in. Dad wasn't this lenient when he met Leon for the first time. Could that be because I introduced Kayden as a mere friend, so Dad didn't feel the need to be protective and bestow fear upon him? Probably. But it still took him a while to warm up to Leon. Dad wasn't really a strict parent; he was always fair and only came down hard on us when we deserved it, otherwise, he was pretty laid back. Given the fact that Leon was the first guy I ever brought home, maybe that played a big part in Dad's attitude towards him. He and Kayden seemed to get on quite well already, though. Hmm.
Kayden suddenly stretched. "I'm gonna go."
I nodded and we left the room, heading to the front door. I could already hear Dad, Andre and Isiah having a heated debate about football in the living room. Kayden slid his trainers on and I opened the door for him.
"Well ... this has been random, but nice."
Kayden laughed. "Yeah. Thanks for having me."
I shrugged. "Don't get used to it. You working tomorrow?"
"Nah, day off."
"Must be nice."
He laughed and pulled me into a warm hug. I was taken aback by the affectionate gesture. It was the first time we'd touched each other like this for so long. My body was too stiff with shock to react, all I could do was inhale his sweet scent. When he pulled away I felt dizzy with confusion.
He flashed that same smirk. "See you around, Ree."
Then he was gone. I watched as he walked down the road with his hands in his pockets. Damn my rattled thoughts, but all I knew is that he was so fine.
I might have some trouble with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment