Thursday 24 October 2013

Chapter eighteen

Becca
The next day I was in the kitchen cooking up a nice stir-fry. It was the last day of the bet, meaning I could go back to my crass, rude, unapologetic self tomorrow and fuck up anyone who deserved it. After dishing out the food, I heading to the living-room to see Andre and his girlfriend, Jasmine, cuddling on the sofa and watching a movie on Sky.
"Dinner's ready when you want it," I announced, taking a seat and digging in.
"Thanks." Andre turned to her. "You hungry?"
"I could eat," she beamed with a smile. They both stood up and went to the kitchen.
I breathed a sigh of relief. It was early afternoon and the weather was nice; plus, I had no work or sixth form. This was truly a good day to kick back, relax and unwind.
Suddenly, my phone rang. I checked the caller ID and answered with a smile. "Yo."
Brooklyn sounded energetic through the phone. "'Sup? What are you doing today?"
"Nothing, why?"
"I heard you have a free yard."
I raised a brow. "Not exactly, my brothers are still here ... wait, who told you that?"
"Who else?"
I rolled my eyes. That was the last time I ever told Chris anything. His mouth was as big as his head.
"Me and the girls were thinking to come round, so if you have any plans, cancel them."
I couldn't help but laugh. "Alright fine. Just the girls?"
"Yeah. Oh, actually, tell Kayden to come. We need to meet him." I heard Natalie scream "he's so buff!" in the background at the mention of his name.
I sighed. "You bitches are thirsty. All of you are taken."
"Natalie isn't."
"Okay, you know what? Fine. I'll see what he says."
"Yay!" they screamed in unison. I think I even heard Grace cheering, and she was practically married to Chris.
"Since we're bringing boys along, you should tell Charles," I told Brooklyn.
"Eh."
I laughed at her lack of enthusiasm. "Or not. Damn."
She giggled. "Anyway, see you in about an hour."
"Yeah, later." I hung up and sighed. Great, now I have to be a host. Although, for the girls, I didn't mind. It's been a while since we all chilled together outside of sixth form.
But this meant that I had to change out of my tracksuit bottoms and lounge top into something a bit more presentable. I'll also need to comb my hair and style it. Being a girl can be so draining sometimes.
I decided to give Kayden a call to get this over with. Knowing him, he'll tease me that his fan club wants him to come over, probably drop a few sexual innuendos in, tell me to look sexy for him, and then fly down here. He was so predictable it was unreal.
However, he didn't answer. I looked at my phone screen and was shocked that it kept ringing. Kayden usually picked up in a heartbeat, so this was odd. I frowned and tried again; maybe he was busy or away from his phone. It went to voicemail again. I tried one last time and he finally picked up.
"What is it?" he asked.
I blinked at his clipped tone. "I was gonna ask you to come over today if you're free." When he didn't answer right away, I frowned. "Everything okay?"
"No," he snarled, his voice low.
I could hear the anguish and fury in his voice. Suddenly, I didn't know what to say. "Is it Aaliyah?"
Silence.
"I'm here if you want to talk about–"
"I need some time alone, Rebecca. Just leave me for a bit." Then he hung up.
I listened to the dial tone, completely frozen in shock and confusion. Then, very slowly, I put the phone down. I didn't understand him; one minute he was fine and all over me, the next minute he gave me the cold shoulder. He sounded off, though, so there was no telling what could have happened to him since leaving him yesterday. I had to give him credit for not swearing at me this, at least.
Kieran suddenly entered the room glaring at me.
Unfazed, I stared back. "What?"
His eyes narrowed. "Did you take my phone again?"
I raised a brow. "Does it look like I have time to do that?"
"I'm not fucking around, Rebecca. Where's my phone?"
"Ask Andre. I've got better things to do than touch your stuff."
He kissed his teeth and left the room. As soon as he was gone, I retrieved his Blackberry from my pocket and continued going through his messages. What kind of self-respecting human being didn't keep their phone password-protected? That was his own fault.
Really and truly, I wanted to check up on his multiple relationships and make sure he wasn't hiding any kids. The last thing I wanted was for Kieran to run away from his responsibilities. I'd already terrorised Andre all those months ago and discovered his relationship with Jasmine, so now it was Kieran's turn.
Consider it a routine check-up.
So far, his phone was pretty dry. I scrolled through his recent chats. It didn't surprise me that he had over 70 female contacts, none of which I'd ever heard of. The majority of their profile pictures were real hoe-like, but who am I to judge?
Just as I was about to give up, a new conversation popped up; someone called Big Titty Betty. I cringed at the name and dared to open the message.
– Are u still coming round today? My man's gone
I sighed. For God's sake. Not only was Kieran a hoe, but he was also a side piece, too?!
I decided to make things right and replied for him:
– Change of plans b, just found out I've got syphilis
Might wna get urself checked
I erased the conversation before locking the phone and leaving it on the coffee table. I washed my plate and put it away then headed upstairs. I knocked on Kieran's door and popped my head through. He turned from his PS3 game to look at me.
"Your phone's on the coffee table. You must've left it there from before."
He sighed. "Ah shit. Thanks."
"No worries." I smiled and closed the door then went to my room to get freshened up.
An hour and a half later the doorbell rang. I skipped downstairs, eager to see my girls, and opened the door with a grin.
My smile quickly faded.
There was an entire crowd stood on the other side of my door. How in the hell did three girls turn into an entire classroom? I spotted Shanay towards the back of the bunch with her arms crossed, as if she'd been dragged here against her will. I honestly had no problem kicking her in the right direction – literally.
I gave Brooklyn a questioning glare and she gave an innocent shrug. "Word got out," she explained.
More like Chris told the whole nation. I glanced at him next but he was smiling from ear to ear, seemingly unfazed by the fact that he'd just brought a party to my door without my permission.
"You gonna let us in, baby? I'm starving."
Is that all he had to say for himself?!
I quickly remembered it was the last day of the bet and rolled my eyes before stepping aside, letting the crowd into my home. They all came charging in, some from sixth form that I hadn't even uttered a word to before and some were friends of friends. They all headed for the living-room. Shanay walked past me and we exchanged eye contact. Her scowl was vicious but it made me laugh. How can she enter my home with so much attitude? Like I won't grab her by the weave and smash her face against the wooden flooring.
I was surprised to see Shanay's cousin, Tyreece, enter as well. He was the last one in so I shut the door, genuinely happy to see his cute face once again. Thankfully, his demonic twin brother wasn't with him.
"Ty, what are you doing here?" I reached up for a hug and he gave a charming smile before squeezing me in return.
"I was with Shanay when she got the call from Chris."
It took everything to hold my disdain in for his cousin. I'm not sure what Shanay has told him so far, but just in case he didn't know we weren't friends anymore, I had to keep it quiet. I could tell him myself later on. I also had a serious bone to pick with Chris for calling her in the first place.
"Go on through and make yourself at home," I said to him with a smile. He shrugged his jacket off before walking into the living-room.
"Becca." I turned to the voice up the staircase to see Kieran and Andre stood there looking down from the top of the steps. Kieran raised a brow. "Dad's been gone two minutes and you're having a rave?"
"Gathering," I corrected.
"As long as they don't break nothin'."
I scoffed. "Oh please. My people are a lot more sophisticated than yours."
He rolled his eyes and they both went back to their respective rooms; I heard both of their doors slam moments later.
I breathed heavily and rubbed my temple, preparing myself for the stress that was to come. If Shanay stayed out of my way – she was lucky I even let her in my house – then today could end successfully. I entered the living-room and everyone was sat around talking and laughing with each other. They had already gotten their drinks and snacks out. I scanned the room of faces: Brooklyn, Grace, Natalie, Chris, Gavin, Isaac and Tyreece. Everyone else was classed as an extra in my eyes. Especially Shanay.
They all noticed me stood in the doorway and the room fell silent as every pair of eyes were on me.
"Do what you want," I simply said with a shrug. They all cheered and Gavin suddenly turned Dad's surround-sound system on. In no time, he hooked his phone up to the Bluetooth and Drake's voice fled from the speakers. The base rumbled the floorboards and everyone cheered again.
"You guys really don't waste any time," I muttered.
"Yo Becc's, you got food?" Fabien called out.
"Not for you guys."
"She's lying. I've just put some chicken wings in the oven," Chris said as he walked in from the kitchen. I scowled at him and shook my head. Chris is lucky I love him.
"There's not enough to go around. Order some pizza," I said.
Isaac nodded and brought his phone out to call the pizza shop. While he took everyone's order, I went back to the hallway to slip on my jacket and trainers. Today was my last day of being nice, which means I had to be a good host and look after my guests. I grabbed some money that Dad had left in the cupboard and headed for the door.
"Where you going, Becc's?" I turned to see Natalie dancing towards me.
"Gonna buy some more snacks from the shop."
"Where's Kayden?" Brooklyn asked as she slithered out of the living-room behind her. The two of them were synchronised with their moves as they danced around me.
I rolled my eyes. "He couldn't make it."
Brooklyn frowned and stopped dancing. "I wanted to meet him."
"What about Charles?" Natalie asked with a smirk.
Brooklyn just shrugged.
Suddenly, Tyreece appeared from the toilet and the two girls squealed.
"Tyreeeeece," Brooklyn sang.
"Dance with us." Natalie began to back up onto him while Brooklyn twerked and Tyreece was stiff as a board, his eyes piercing mine. Then he quickly mouthed 'help'.
I couldn't help but laugh. These two didn't even require alcohol to act like this, they were just nuts anyway.
"He's coming with me," I said, grabbing his wrist and pulling him away from their fierce dancing. They both began to whine as I pulled Tyreece out of the house and shut the door. We walked down the road and he breathed a sigh of relief.
"Thanks," he uttered.
I smiled. "It's cool. The girls really love you." And it wasn't hard to see why. Tyreece was fit, tall and kind-hearted – every single element of him was practically every girl's dream. He just didn't realise it.
He said nothing in return. Tyreece was still quiet and shy around me – someone he's known since childhood – so I decided to keep the conversation going. "So, what have you been up to lately?"
He shrugged. "Nothing besides work. What about you?"
"Same really." As we crossed the road, I decided to ask the one question that had been on my mind recently. "How're things with Olivia?"
His relaxed face quickly turned dark. "We're not together anymore."
It was hard not to smile at such great news. I was hoping this would be the outcome for Tyreece, since Olivia was a two-timing hoe that didn't deserve him.
"Sorry to hear," I lied.
He waved his hand dismissively. "It's alright. She was taking me for a mug so I had to end it." Then he smiled. "Thought I'd be more upset about it but I'm not. I've had my eye on someone else."
"That's good. I'm happy for you." I felt his eyes on me but decided not to look his way.
"What's going on with you and Shanay?" he asked. It was a question I dreaded because I wasn't sure how to answer without being rude.
Slowly, I said: "I warned her about her boyfriend and she basically cussed me for it. So we're not talking."
"What was the warning?"
"That he's using her and he doesn't care about her. She said that I of all people shouldn't give advice on relationships and that she doesn't want to end up like me."
He whistled. "Shit."
"Yeah. So you need to keep her away from me. I don't even know why she came today."
"Neither do I. I thought everything was cool."
I shrugged. "Well, now you know."
He nodded. "So, where are we going?"
"Shop. I'm buying everyone snacks."
He chuckled. "They don't deserve snacks."
"I know, but it pays to be nice every once in a while." I strained a smile as I said it. Truthfully, I couldn't wait for this day to end.
Eventually, we arrived at Tesco. I realised Tyreece had loosened up a little and was even bantering with me and pushing me into the road after I'd done it to him. He was a reserved character but once you cracked his shell, he was fun and easy-going. As soon as we entered the store, I grabbed everything: oven food, confectionary, chocolates, drinks, ice-cream, cider, crisps – you name it. No doubt more people would magically turn up at the house by the time I got back, so I made sure to buy plenty to cover everyone.
Tyreece managed to carry most of the stuff; he was like a massive tree the way he walked around with his arms outstretched holding everything.
"We done?" he asked.
"Yeah, let's get out of here." We paid at the till and eventually left. It was silent as we walked, and I wondered if there was something on Ty's mind when he finally spoke.
"So you're not with Leon anymore?"
I quirked a brow at him. "How did you know?"
"I think I heard Shanay mention it before."
I rolled my eyes. She couldn't stand me but she was still chatting my business? What a bitch.
"No, we're not together."
"What happened?"
He cheated on me with your girlfriend...
"He wasn't faithful," I muttered. "I gave him a chance to tell me what he was up to but he lied in my face. I think that's what hurt more than the cheating itself."
He nodded. "I hear that. It's such a shit thing to go through."
"It really is."
"But you deserve a lot more, Becc's. I can't even say I'm sorry that he showed his true colours because at least now you know he was a waste of time."
I smiled at his thoughtful words. "Thanks, Ty. Same goes for you and that Olivia witch."
He shrugged. "We didn't have that much time in our relationship so it's easier to get over her. She definitely wasted my time, though. Wouldn't surprise me if she moved on already."
Well, I can assure you she moved on when you were still together...
"Hmm. As long as you know your worth," I said with a nudge to his side.
He simply smiled.
When we arrived back at the fort I cringed at the lively atmosphere. Somehow, the music had gotten louder and there were a few more people around, which didn't surprise me. Furniture had been shifted, turning my living-room into a dance floor. While some people sat around, others danced to the bashment that pulsed through the speakers. I glanced at the clock on my wall. It was only 3 p.m. and things were already this unruly? Then I noticed bottles of alcohol on the side accompanied by red plastic cups.
Now things made sense.
I shook my head and turned to Tyreece. "This is gonna be a long day."
"Don't get stressed," he warned.
"Already there, mate." I headed to the kitchen, followed by Tyreece, who helped to put everything away. It wasn't long before he was dragged away by a tipsy Natalie – maybe she has a thing for him? – leaving me to deal with the rest of the items.
I placed some snacks in separate bowls and brought out the drinks and cider then left them out on the coffee table in the living-room. Everyone cheered and I rolled my eyes before going back to the kitchen to finish off packing things away. Then I smelled something burning.
Just then, Fabien came into the kitchen and opened the oven. Smoke immediately seeped out and filled the kitchen, quickly setting off the smoke alarm. Through the fog and the constant beeping, I covered my mouth and nose with my t-shirt and glared at Fabien, who gave an apologetic smile as he dumped the tray on the table.
"Chris forgot about the wings," he explained.
My temple throbbed. "I can see that." I noticed Gavin fanning the smoke alarm in the hallway and rubbed my forehead. It's as if these guys were trying to soil my good mood on my last day of kindness.
When the beeping stopped, I opened the windows to air out the kitchen while Fabien dished the wings into a bowl. Then he licked his lips and walked out, leaving the mess on the table.
My eye twitched.
Stay calm, Becc's.
After clearing up the mess, I headed back to the living-room to take in the scenery. There wasn't any dancing going on anymore. Somehow, the boys and girls had separated; the boys had turned on Andre's PS3 and were playing Fifa while the girls huddled around on the other side of the room to chat and gossip. I spotted them using one of the mini tables to do each other's' nails. I approached them and sat in the space between Grace and Mary from sixth form.
"Hey, Becc's," they all greeted in unison.
I smiled in response and finally let myself relax. It felt good to sit down again.
"We were just saying that Kayden's the only one missing," Grace mentioned, nudging me with her elbow.
I shrugged. "He wasn't interested in coming."
"But he loves you, why wouldn't he come?"
I narrowed my eyes at Brooklyn. "You can't go throwing that word around."
She grinned and continued to paint Natalie's nails. "It's true."
Another girl from sixth form, Whitney, leaned forward with interest. "You have a man, Rebecca?"
"No. Don't listen to these guys."
"I thought you were with Leon?"
"I'm not."
"So you are with this Kayden guy?" Mary raised a brow.
"No! He's just someone I work with."
"He's fucking sexy," Brooklyn chimed in.
Natalie gave a drunken giggle. "So buff."
"I wish he was here," Grace sighed dreamily.
I rolled my eyes. I understand that they desperately wanted to meet him (being in his fan-club and all), but these straight up lies were going to ruin my image!
I felt eyes on me and looked in the boys' direction to see Shanay glaring at me. She sat beside Tyreece, who was busy playing on the PS3 to notice. I returned the glare, not backing down from whatever game she was trying to play. If she kept this up, she might receive a handprint on her dry face.
Grace caught me staring and turned to Shanay as well. "Don't waste your time on her, Becc's."
"She's screwing me in my own house." I proceeded to stare until she finally cut her eye and turned away.
Rebecca 1 – 0 Shanay.
"Just ignore her," Natalie said.
"You know she doesn't even chat to us anymore, either," Mary said.
I cocked a brow. "What beef does she have with you?"
She shrugged. "Probably because she saw us talking to you one lunch time."
Whitney rolled her eyes. "She thinks everyone's against her when no one actually gives a shit."
"Childish," Brooklyn muttered.
I raised my voice and said in the nicest way possible: "If she's gonna screw everyone all day there's no reason for her to be here. I don't know why she's even in my yard in the first place."
Shanay looked my way again before kissing her teeth and facing the other way.
"Hella childish," Brooklyn said again.
Grace squeezed my arm. "Ignore her. If she carries on, I'll ask her to leave."
"No. I'll do the honours." The only thing that would make my day is being able to literally kick her out of the house.
"OFFSIDE! That was offside you prick!" Chris yelled, jumping up from his seat.
Isaac stood up as well with his arms outstretched. "Don't chat SHIT! That was in fam!"
All the boys laughed while the two argued and I sighed, rubbing my forehead again. I almost forgot they were there, and now I was reminded of how many people were actually in my house.
"Tell your man to calm down, Grace," Whitney said with a teasing smile.
She waved her hand dismissively. "He'll never listen to me."
"He will if you're assertive about it," I reasoned.
Brooklyn paused her painting to grin at me. "Is that how you keep Kayden in check?"
I was ready to retaliate when it suddenly dawned on me. Since knowing Kayden and becoming close, all I've done is terrorise him, belittle him and call him names. For some reason, he still stuck around. I'm not sure if he found it sexy or what. He's a weird one anyway. "Actually ... yeah, it is."
Natalie shoved me hard in the shoulder. "Assertive at work and in the bedroom. Gwarn Becc's."
"I swear to God–"
"Chris literally worships the ground you walk on, though," Mary went on to Grace. "I bet if you told him to shut up he'd actually love it."
Brooklyn snickered. "I bet he's a sub."
Grace blinked. "A sub?"
I sighed. Sometimes we forget how innocent Grace actually is. How she's able to put up with Chris and his filthiness sometimes is beyond me. Maybe because the majority of it went over her head. "Submissive. That's not even the point. How are things with you two?"
A blush suddenly appeared on her face. "They're good. We've mainly been going on dates."
I couldn't help but coo. "He's completely changed because of you."
She raised a brow at me. "You think?"
Natalie laughed. "Well for starters, he's not a hoe anymore."
We all muttered in agreement.
Suddenly, I felt a presence behind me. I bent my head back to see Gavin stood behind the sofa peering down at all of us. He was so tall I had to strain my neck to look at him properly. He was only 17 and was already 6"3. And counting.
"What's going on 'round here?" he asked, plopping a giant hand on my head.
"You tell us. Why aren't you with Chris?" Brooklyn countered.
Gavin chuckled. "We have to give each other space sometimes, man. What are you lot chatting about, anyway? Girl stuff?"
Grace looked at him. "What's girl stuff?"
He shrugged. "Periods and that."
We all rolled our eyes in unison and Mary shooed him. "Bye, Gav."
He cringed. "So I'm right? You lot are nasty, man."
"Goodbye Gavin!" she said again.
He laughed and ruffled my hair before leaving to sit back down next to Chris, his rightful partner in crime.
Brooklyn sat up straight and stretched her back before capping the nail varnish bottle. "All done."
Natalie held her hand out in front of her to inspect her fresh red nails. "That was quick. It looks peng as well. Thanks, baby."
"Any time, babylove." They air-kissed and I rolled my eyes. Then Brooklyn rubbed her hands together. "Who's next?"
Grace raised her hand. "Me! I want yellow; It goes well with my skin tone."
Brooklyn unscrewed the yellow bottle instead while Natalie and Grace swapped seats. "Are you sure you don't want to consult Chris first?"
Grace raised a brow. "For what?"
Whitney laughed. "A man likes when his girl asks him about her nail colour."
She was still confused. "Why?"
Natalie cleared her throat. "'Cause at the end of the day it'll be your hands wrapped around his dic–"
"Anyway," I cut in. "I think yellow's a good choice." I smiled at Grace encouragingly, who shrugged in response before facing Brooklyn again. The girls just laughed.
"Great house party, Rebecca," Whitney said, holding her can of Kopparberg up. The girls cheered and clinked their glasses and cups together.
I sighed and let them have their celebration. I've never heard of a forced party until today. "You guys disturbed my peace, but whatever."
Brooklyn raised a brow. "No we didn't. We've been calm."
"OI YOU FUCKING CHEATED! THAT WAS A FOUL!"
"SUCK MY DICK MAN!"
I pointedly looked at the boys before turning back to Brooks, giving her a knowing look and holding my hand out to them as if to say Exhibit A.
She sighed. "Okay, yeah, I get it. That's them, though. Not us."
"I wish they'd go somewhere else. And who's that?" I asked, pointing to a suspicious-looking white boy sat next to Fabien with his hood up.
Mary squinted. "Fabien's friend I think."
Whitney hummed. "I haven't heard him talk all day."
Great. Now a complete stranger – possibly a silent psychopath – knows where I live.
Chris shot up from his chair yet again. "I WIN AGAIN! 4-2 TO ME!" He began dancing in Tyreece's face, who laughed like the good sport he was. "You're shit, Ty. Sorry."
"Rematch," he declared.
Chris shook his head. "Nah, I'm too good for you lot."
Isaac kissed his teeth and stood up, grabbing the controller from Chris. "You're a fucking cheater, that's why."
Chris watched him for a moment then hastily yanked down Isaac's tracksuit bottoms, exposing the race car print boxers underneath. Everyone roared in laughter and began hollering as Isaac panicked to pull them back up.
"What the fuck's wrong with you!" he yelled.
Chris was too busy laughing to even care, his face turning red. "Where'd you get them boxers from, man?"
Everyone laughed again. Even I let a chuckle out, because it was honestly a valid question.
Isaac grabbed a cushion from the sofa and whacked Chris hard in the face with it. Everyone fell silent.
Chris stepped closer in retaliation. In lightning speed, he grabbed a cushion and hit Isaac back. Then they started viciously attacking each other in an intense cushion fight.
"Worldstar!" Fabien called out. Everyone stood up to crowd around the two while I sat there in disbelief. Were they really using Dad's good cushions for this foolishness?
People laughed and cheered as Chris pinned Isaac down on the ground with the cushion over his face, ignoring his muffled cries.
"Say sorry!" he demanded, pushing down harder on the cushion.
"Allow him, Chris. You're gonna suffocate him," Jonathan said as he took another spoonful of his ice cream. Yeah, 'cause he really looks like he cares.
"That's the idea," Chris growled. That's when all the boys grabbed cushions and various objects to attack Chris instead. It quickly turned into a battle-royale as they thwarted each other hard in the face and stomach. Everyone was ducking, diving and flinging stuff while the mysterious white boy sat there eating cake.
I sighed at the spectacle. "I hope they don't break anything."
Natalie laughed. "Nah, they're alright."
As soon as she said that, they ditched the cushions and used their hands instead. I saw fists flying as they began play-fighting. As stressed out as I was, it was mildly entertaining to see Tyreece punching Fabien in the gut while Gavin and Chris double-teamed Isaac to get him in a headlock.
"Who do you think will win?" Brooklyn asked as she watched on in awe.
"Chris," we all replied.
It became a fun game of wrestling; we got our phones out and recorded the 'fight'. Jonathan and Lucas had Tyreece pinned down while Chris, punched Isaac in the face while Gavin dived on his back to strangle him. As I witnessed the obnoxious brawl play out in front of me, I couldn't help but genuinely smile and laugh.
Maybe today wasn't so bad after all.
Kayden
Today was the worst day.
Since hearing the news yesterday I felt blank and numb. I woke up early in the morning, around 6 a.m. and stared at my ceiling, unsure of what to do with myself. After watching a few shows on TV, I realised I wasn't going to go back to sleep any time soon, and I've been awake since.
Rebecca had called earlier but I wasn't in the mood. I didn't feel like talking. I didn't feel like anything. The news had hit me hard and all I could do was sit around and think. Think and reflect, regret and hope. But it wasn't enough. My body told me that I needed to do something; eat, get some fresh air, take my mind off things. My mind, however, kept me glued to the spot.
On one of the rare moments when my mind did wander, I thought back to Ree and our phone conversation. I admit I was very blunt and rude to her, and I did my best not to swear or be too unpleasant, despite the pain I was in right now. She probably thought I had an issue with her, but she couldn't be more wrong. As much as I loved her company, there were times that I needed space, and this was definitely it.
I sighed and rested against the headboard, analysing my zoot. I'd rolled it around 8 a.m., ready to numb my brain some more and smoke the day away, but I couldn't do it.
I looked at the time on my phone: 6:30 p.m. Then my stomach rumbled. All I'd had to eat today was a slice of toast, and even that was a struggle. It wasn't that long ago, maybe an hour? Two? Three? Did I even eat, or was I just imagining it? Either way, my stomach felt empty but I couldn't care less.
I rubbed my swollen knuckle and winced at the blisters on it. When Dad had first mentioned aunt Tanisha I got mad and punched the wall. It was a minor pain compared to whatever I was feeling in my chest right now. In my heart.
My mind drifted to her. Aunt Tanisha was one of my favourite people in the world and we were incredibly close. It made no sense to me that despite our close relationship, she kept her cancer from us for two whole months. Two fucking months she suffered alone, with only uncle Trey and their daughter, Shavonne, around to care for her. It wasn't enough. They should've said something. Anything. Just to let us know what she was going through. It just ... wasn't enough.
My phone vibrated. I answered without looking. "Yeah?"
"We're finding this yout tonight." It was Kenneth. "A couple heads saw him in North an hour ago. You down?"
"Nah."
"You sure?"
"You lot go."
He knew by the tone of my voice that it wasn't up for debate. "Calm. I'll keep you posted."
I hung up and threw the phone back down. They won't find Leon. It's already been over a week and we haven't even come close – a sighting didn't mean anything. Plus, M wasn't stressing us about it right now, so there was no pressure.
There was a knock on my door moments later. I remained silent but Zaine's head popped through anyway.
"We're going to see her. Are you coming?"
I shook my head.
He nodded and closed the door. Since yesterday that's what the house has been like, just silence. A couple sentences here and there, but mainly silence. We spoke with our eyes because our mouths weren't enough.
I didn't want to see her yet. I'll see her in my own time once I've come to grips with the situation and can speak to her properly without my emotions getting in the way. Plus, I was still annoyed at her for keeping it from us for so long.
I looked at the time again. The sky was beginning to darken. I thought about Ree and what I had done the last time I felt down. It was after the ordeal with Aaliyah's dad in the hospital. I felt like shit and wanted her company, so I crawled into her bed late at night.
The words I said to her back then were still fresh in my memory: "You always know what to say, Ree. You make me feel better. I'm always drawn to you. Even in the rain at two in the morning. You're the only one who can make me calm."
And it was true. She offered kind words and was patient with me despite me invading her home. Maybe she could help me again. Staying locked up in my room wasn't doing myself any favours. I'd had the time to think and reflect, and Rebecca had given me the space I needed. Now, it was time to seek her out so she could make me feel better. I pulled on a fresh t-shirt and fitted jeans then put on my Air Forces then grabbed my keys and headed out the door.
Rebecca was my strongest medicine, and I needed a pick-me-up.
Becca
"So what's the deal with you and Kayden, anyway?"
I blinked at Grace who was downing a glass of wine, showing off her fresh yellow nails that Brooklyn had painted for her. We were in the kitchen getting more snacks when she dropped the question out of fucking nowhere. "He's not coming today."
She laughed. "No, I mean, like, in general, like."
I wasn't sure how much she'd had to drink but it was becoming apparent through her speech. "Like, I don't know, like, y'know? Like. We're friends. Get over it, Grace."
She stuck her tongue out at me and perched on the counter while I put more crisps and sweets into plastic bowls. The evening was going well. Music played through the speakers still, food and drinks were passed around, conversation was friendly and everyone was merry. I'd even forgotten that Shanay was slithering around my house and let loose with my friends. I didn't mind being a host for the rest of the day since they'd managed to cheer me up.
"You think you can use the same line over and over again and we'll believe you?" Grace cackled. Literally cackled. Like a witch. I even paused to look at her and make sure she was okay.
"Why are you laughing like that? I'm not lying about this. If I liked him, I'd tell you guys."
She hummed. "It's annoying how much you deny it. I don't get it." She began to list on her fingers: "He's hot, funny, a gentleman, hot, reliable, hot, and he's not Leon."
I stared at her blankly. "You been sniffing that crack cocaine?"
"I'm being serious!"
"No, you're being drunk. You can't even sit straight."
She immediately pushed herself away from the counter to prove a point. "But I mean, like, you call him a prick and everything, but there must be something there. At least a little bit?"
"Why's that?"
"Do I have to repeat myself?"
I laughed and shut the cupboards, gathering the snacks in my hands. "I know you're all Team Kayden and you want me to get with him, but we're just friends. We don't know what the future holds, so you never know."
She sighed and shook her head in dismay. "I'll get through to you eventually; you're a tough nut to crack."
Suddenly, Natalie darted into the kitchen and slammed the door, frantic and panting. Grace and I just watched her.
"The boys tried to attack me. I had to find a safe place," she explained, wiping her brow.
"Are they still fighting?" I asked.
She shook her head. "Now they're giving each other wedgies. Jonathan tried it with me so I ran."
I laughed and shook my head. "I'm gonna have to kick them out soon. This is getting ridiculous."
Natalie giggled. "They're having a good time. Just leave them."
A loud smash silenced us. We paused and looked at each other. Natalie opened the door and we all headed back into the living-room to see what had happened. I was frozen by the door at the sight. Dad's portrait laid face-down on the floor, the glass frame smashed to bits and scattered everywhere. Everyone turned to me and the room fell silent.
My eye twitched.
Fabien spoke slowly: "I'm so sorry, Becc's. Chris shoved me and I bumped into it. I swear down, I'll buy you a new frame. I'm sorry." He edged closer to me to try and comfort me but my body was stiff.
Keep calm.
It's the last day of the bet.
Don't react.
It was an accident.
I released a shaky breath and brushed the stray hair from my face. "It's fine. Just clean it up," I muttered. Fabien nodded and rushed to the kitchen to get the broom.
Shanay laughed.
My head snapped in her direction. "Something funny?"
She sighed happily and crossed her legs on the sofa. My sofa. "It was just fun to watch, that's all."
My heart rate quickened in mild anger. "It was fun, yeah?"
"It really was."
Taking another deep breath, I said calmly: "I suggest you leave. You weren't wanted in the first place and now you're starting to annoy me. Just go."
She stood up and began to pace around the room, drawing all eyes to her. "I don't get why everyone's so scared of you," she muttered, moving closer to the cabinet.
"What are you doing?" I asked quietly.
Slowly, she opened the glass cabinet, and my chest tightened when she grabbed the treasured picture of my mum before pulling it out. Then she closed the cabinet and held it up, analysing it. I felt a sharp twinge in my heart. It was the one picture that no one could touch, and she knew this.
Everyone remained still and quiet, now confused as to what she was doing. This was exactly what she wanted: everyone's attention. It was exactly what she'd been craving the minute she stepped foot in my house. But I knew her well and I understood the game she was playing. However, my mum didn't need to be involved in all this.
"Put it down." I glared at her coldly.
She laughed. "The difference between me and everyone here is that I'm not scared of you, Rebecca." She twiddled the picture around in both hands and cooed. "Your mum's such a beautiful woman."
"Put it down," I said again.
"Oi, you might wanna put that down," Chris warned her quietly. Fabien entered the room again carrying the broom but stopped in his tracks when he noticed what was happening. Everyone was focused on Shanay. The atmosphere was tense, thick and heavy with apprehension, angst and anticipation.
"Shanay, I swear to God..." I said, my voice a low whisper now. She was about to ruin everything. Literally everything.
"What? I'm just admiring it." She had a wicked grin on her face, which suggested that her intentions far exceeded admiration.
Everyone in the room looked at me to retaliate but I couldn't react. I watched the picture being manhandled in her hands and my body stiffened in dread. I couldn't afford for anything to happen to it. It was a precious photo.
Fabien began to clear up the glass on the floor. He was the only animated person in the room. It was a good thing, too, because I needed the floor to be clear of glass before I attempted to get that picture away from Shanay's disgusting grip.
"Stop being dumb and put it down, Shan," Tyreece said with a tut.
She suddenly gave an exaggerated gasp, ignoring him completely. "Oh my God. Imagine if I were to drop this?"
"Do it," I challenged. "Do it, Shanay. Do it and see what I do to you."
She laughed. "You really want me to?"
My hand flexed. "Yes. Drop it. I dare you. I fucking dare you. Do it."
Her shit-eating grin widened.
"No, Shanay, don't," Natalie intervened, stepping closer.
I held up my hand in protest, stilling her. "She wants to do it. Let her do it."
Shanay stared at me and I glared back. We were in our own bubble now, just the two of us, wrapped up in a silent battle using our eyes as weapons. I stared her down with confidence while she glowered back, her brown orbs full of hatred and malice.
Accepting my challenge, she brought her hand up.
"Shanay, don't be fucking stupid," Chris said with a glare.
Disregarding him, she raised her hand in the air. My eyes pierced hers, searching for any kind of explanation. Some semblance of understanding. Why would she do this? Did her hatred for me run that deep?
Her hand travelled higher.
"Don't do it," Brooklyn muttered.
Higher.
"Shan..." Ty said.
Even higher.
Then she let go.
I watched as Mum's precious picture collided with the ground and shattered into little pieces with a loud crash. Just like my dad's portrait, glass scattered. The crystal frame came apart and pieces flew in every direction. Shocked gasps wracked through the room as the photo was dismantled before my very eyes.
My heart stopped. My temple throbbed. My eye twitched. My heart ached.
My vision ... red.
Everyone cried out as I tackled Shanay to the floor and began punching her face in. I don't remember my body kicking into gear. I just knew I wanted her dead.
"Ah, shit!" I heard Chris shout.
Shanay's cries drowned out the rest of the commotion in the room as I straddled her chest to pummel her face in. She knew about my mum. She knew what my family went through, how much it destroyed me, how much I missed her – Shanay knew, yet she still smashed the picture.
Did she resent me that much? Did our eleven years of friendship mean nothing to her?
She screamed in agony as I clutched her hair in my palm and jabbed her hard in the jaw and nose. Then I bashed her head against the flooring. I wanted to draw blood. I needed her to feel the pain I was feeling, ten-fold. Everyone rushed forward in an attempt to pull me off her, but I my grip on her was too strong, my pain too tough to bear.
All these weeks of her silly attitude and belittling stopped here. I couldn't take it anymore. I needed to let go of everything I had towards her: all the pent-up anger and aggression. This was the only way. I repeatedly punched her in the face as she tried and failed to drag me off her, along with everyone else. She yanked onto my hair and thrashed her legs.
"Someone help me get her off, man!" Isaac struggled to pull. I continued to punch and punch. And punch. The blurry red vision wasn't disappearing. Using a firm grip, I clutched her neck and began to strangle her with both hands. I wanted her to suffer. I wanted her to beg for her pathetic excuse of a life. She dug her nails into my hands and pierced my skin, but I didn't feel it. The only pain I felt was inside.
I squeezed even harder as more people attempted to pull me off. I let her into my home and allowed her to overstay her welcome. All I wanted in return was some respect. Instead, she violated me and my family in the worst possible way, all with a smile on her face. My eyes quickly darted to the last remnants of the picture. It was completely broken, with only her smile left in view.
I choked her harder. Shanay's breathless cry was music to my ears.
Suddenly a group of hands pulled me back and up to my feet. My eyes never left Shanay and I watched over her disfigured form as she gasped for air. Red patches and swelling on her skin, a bruised nose, bleeding brows, busted lip and a swollen eye.
It wasn't enough.
I raised my leg and kicked her hard across the face, getting a couple stamps on her stomach before seven people dragged me back completely.
"Cool it, Rebecca! Please," Chris said, gripping my shoulders hard, keeping me in place.
I watched as Jonathan and Lucas helped Shanay up; her knees buckled as she wept quietly.
It wasn't enough.
I didn't realise Kieran was stood beside me. He gave me a look-over, noticed the smashed pictures on the floor, then turned to me once again before nodding in understanding.
"Everyone leave," he bellowed firmly.
Very slowly, everyone left one by one. While Chris cuddled me close, the girls gave me a look of sympathy and quietly said goodbye before leaving. The boys did the same, spudding Chris and telling them they'll talk to him soon. Shanay was escorted out by Jonathan, Lucas and Fabien, they all supported her arms as she limped out of the door.
It wasn't enough.
"It's okay," Chris whispered, rocking me in his arms. I patted him on the back to let him know I was fine, then he pulled away to help Kieran clear up the mess, snacks and furniture.
The house was dead silent. While the boys did all the work to clean and sweep, I walked over to the last pieces of Mum's picture. I was 10 years old in primary school. We'd taken a special trip to a glass factory and was able to request or make our own items. I'd asked them to use a printed photo of my mum to make a glass image. It was insanely realistic, basically a photo of her in the shape of a cube – almost 3D. I showed her the very next day and she adored it.
I'd give anything to see that smile again.
I stared down at the last piece. Her smile. Or what was left of it.
Shanay knew the story. She also knew it was my most prized possession, but she smashed it like it was nothing. I fell to my knees and stared, unable to form any words. I couldn't believe she would do such a thing. I cupped my face in my hands and closed my eyes. This wasn't happening; this was a dream. A very bad dream.
"Ree."
I uncovered my face to see Kayden crouched in front of me. He was watching over me; his eyes showing nothing but pain and understanding. I felt the tears sting and pool in my eyes then hugged him. Kayden's strong arms encircled me and pulled me closer.
As I stayed wrapped in his warm embrace, crying into his chest, I didn't care to think about how or when he got in the house, I was just thankful that he was here with me right now.
He rubbed my back and kissed me gently on the forehead, not saying a word, just being there for me in the way that I needed him to.
And through it all, something in the back of my mind told me that I'd just lost the bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment