Wednesday 23 October 2013

Chapter eight

Today was the day: the day before the rave. It was a chilly Friday morning, but I had to spend it mentally preparing myself for spending even more time with Kayden — plus I needed an outfit to wear.
For the first time since starting this job, I called in sick. After waking up feeling nauseous and having a throbbing migraine, I knew there was no way I could deal with customers today.
Maybe I could get away with not going tomorrow night, since I'm ill? But then I'd just feel bad for Kayden again. I shouldn't actually care, but deep down I kind of did.
I stared up at the ceiling and thought about yesterday's events. There were two important things niggling in my brain.
One: Kayden was still on my mind despite me being with Leon. And two: my brother was fucking Olivia; who not only happens to be the girl Leon is cheating on me with, but is also Shanay's cousin's girlfriend.
That was the true meaning of irony.
My life seemed to be turning into a sitcom. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at this point. As for Kayden ... I had to find a way to stop these weird, intense moments from occurring. It wasn't that I had feelings for him, he was just captivating sometimes, and I find myself in silly situations with him. I can't get wrapped up in his sensual web anymore. Dammit, I'm stronger than this!
I turned on my side and let out a chesty cough. I wasn't sure where this sudden flu came from (maybe I was sick of all the bullshit?) but I need to try and get better by tomorrow, otherwise, I won't hear the end of it from Kayden.
Speaking of Mr Loverman, we were meant to be working together today. I'm surprised he hadn't called or messaged to ask about my whereabouts. One minute he's obsessed with me and the next he doesn't care. What a weird dude.
My mind quickly drifted onto the Olivia fiasco. This hoe really gets about, and it's always with guys I know! I wouldn't be surprised if Chris was her next victim. Even though he was dating out with Grace, you can never underestimate a homewrecker. She clearly has nothing to lose.
Despite all this, I couldn't believe Leon would even do anything with her. There was no doubt in my mind that he was being unfaithful. Even if I didn't have solid proof, my gut feeling and women intuition was enough of an indication that he was being a fuck boy. I'm Rebecca motherfucking Stellon: I don't deal with trash.
So it's time to take the trash out.
I flew out of bed and headed to the bathroom to start my day. Roughly an hour later I was sliding on my Vans and checking my hair in the mirror. It was rare for my hair to be in a bun but I was feeling different today. A little runny nose and tummy ache won't keep me in the house, I needed to keep myself occupied.
I left the house in no time, not bothering to check if Kieran was still home just in case I saw Olivia's weave by his hips. Stopping off at the corner shop, I picked up some Minstrels, Hubba Bubba, Sensations crisps, Chewits, Oreos and a tropical juice drink. No need to be healthy when I'm already ill, right?
As I left the shop, I gave Leon a call.
Surprisingly, he answered straight away. "What?"
"Are you home?"
"Why?"
"Why else?"
"Who said I wanted you here?"
I couldn't help but laugh. "You was the one ringing off my house phone yesterday."
"That was yesterday. All of a sudden you wanna chat to man? I don't care anymore."
I looked both ways before crossing the road, already getting closer to his. "I'm already on my way. Are you gonna let me in or not?"
"I didn't say I was home."
"I can hear your TV."
He sighed and grumbled something incoherent before hanging up. I shrugged, completely unfazed by his behaviour. At this point, Leon was putting me off with his attitude, and he had the nerve to even act this way after he was in the wrong?
I didn't really have a plan for today, I just wanted answers, and nothing would please me more than that dumb look on his face when I expose him for the lying, cheating, manipulative son of a bitch that he is.
It was a shame. We shared some good times together; Leon was one of the first few guys that I actually gave a chance. I'm not sure where it all went wrong, but I wasn't about to place all the blame on myself. I can admit whatever faults I have, but I wasn't about to settle with Leon if he wasn't ready to act mature enough to deal with the situation probably.
Eventually, I reached his front door and rang the bell. Leon only lived in Clapham North, so it was easy to get to his house on foot by taking the back roads. He was part of a nice family household: two younger sisters and married parents. It was rare these days to even have such a family dynamic.
The door swung open and his little sister, Tamara, appeared. She was only six, and her big bright eyes lit up even more when she saw me.
"Hi Rebecca," she gleamed before running forward to hug me.
I smiled and held her small frame, ruffling her thick, hazelnut hair. "Hey, Tam." She pulled away and grinned up at me before letting me inside. I shut the door gently behind me and couldn't help but notice how quiet it was. "Where is everyone?"
"Gone shop," she muttered. "Just me and Leon."
"Where is he?"
"Upstairs." Suddenly she gripped my hand and started bouncing excitedly. "Wanna see my new toys?"
Her excitement was very infectious, and I found myself laughing at how quick she was to always show me her new things. "Can I see them later? I need to talk to your brother."
She frowned. "But he's annoying."
"Trust me, I know."
She reluctantly dropped my hand. "Okay, I'll show you after."
I pinched her cheek, causing her to giggle, before heading upstairs to his room. Without warning, I opened his door and strode in. He was lying on his bed peering at his phone. His eyes slid over to me and he made no attempt to get up for a greeting. Instead, he just stared. Leon appeared to be high. If the thick smell of weed in the air wasn't a dead giveaway, it was his half-lidded eyes and lazy smile.
"Can't believe you actually came," he muttered, dragging his body up.
I closed the door behind me and took him in. Like, really took him in. It felt like I hadn't seen him in ages, and to be honest, I've missed him. I hated to admit that with his fitted Nike jogging bottoms, matching Nike top, his relaxed demeanour and fresh trim ... he looked sexy right now.
But I couldn't get distracted.
"Why wouldn't I come?" I asked, walking closer to his bed with folded arms.
"You've been airing me all month." He shrugged. "Thought I wouldn't see you again."
"And you were okay with that thought?"
His shoulders shrugged again. "Wasn't gonna beg you."
I rolled my eyes and slipped my jacket off before hanging on the office chair and taking a seat on it. "That's pretty shit of you."
"You've been equally shit." I glared at him but he only glanced back, his face clear of all emotion. His eyes roamed my face, down to my chest, before shifting back to my face again. His lazy smile reappeared. "Don't say anything else," he whispered. "I'm sorry."
I raised an eyebrow at the sudden change in demeanour. "Why are you sorry?"
"C'mere."
"No. You're a prick."
"I said I'm sorry. Come."
"You're not even sorry, you're just saying what you think I want to hear."
"Let's talk about it, then." He tapped the empty space on the mattress beside him, beckoning me with those promising eyes. "I know I fucked up."
I rolled my eyes and stood up from the chair, slowly advancing towards the bed. "You really fucked up."
"I know, baby." When I was close enough, he gently pulled me to sit beside him and latched his mouth onto my neck straight away. "That whole Olivia ting, right? I'm sorry for making you feel a type of way."
I scoffed and looked away, trying not to get sucked in by his soft neck kisses. What made it worse was the fact that I was comparing it to Kayden's kisses. Whose lips were softer? Who had a better technique? Which one made my body react stronger...?
I cleared my throat and pulled away. "It's not just her," I muttered.
"Then what? Tell me." His hand rested on my thigh and he squeezed gently. I quickly moved his hand away and stared at him blankly. This guy really had no clue.
"If you can't figure it out for yourself then what's the point?"
He blinked in confusion. "You're ready to give up on us that easily?"
"Yeah, I'm following your example."
Leon rolled his eyes. Somehow, his hand made its way back to my thigh. "Come, Becc's. I don't wanna argue, yeah?"
"I don't understand why you're touching me."
"Because you're mine." His voice was low, husky, scratchy from the weed. His way of thinking was completely skewed; Leon wouldn't listen to reason at this point. I remained silent as he stroked my inner thigh and peppered kisses on my neck and collarbone. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling it at all.
Although...
I shifted away from his mouth and gazed down at those red, lidded eyes.
"What?" he whispered.
Without saying anything, I laid back on the bed, right beside him, and gazed at him silently. If only he didn't fuck up and start behaving like a fool, we really could have had something amazing, something ethereal and everlasting.
But men are trash.
"Let's just catch up, I haven't seen you," I muttered.
His gaze softened and he rested his arm on me, pulling me closer. "Alright. How's sixth form?"
I gave a light shrug. "Same old. Struggling with my media assignment because of group work."
He tutted. "Group work is always dead."
"Right? I'm not going to allow these lot to drag down my grade though." Leon chuckled. "What about you? How's uni?"
He rolled his eyes. "Stress. I've actually got bare assignments piled up at the moment."
"Shouldn't you be working on them right now?"
He shrugged. "Haven't been bothered."
"You need to take your studies seriously."
"I know that," he groaned. "Please don't nag me right now. I know." He grabbed my hand and began to play with my fingers, joining our hands together and clasping them firmly. "You know I love you, init?"
I hummed.
"I mean it."
"Alright."
Leon sighed and kissed my hand. "You hate me that much you can't even take my word for it?"
"Hate's a strong word, and you might not love me like you think you do."
"Fuck that, I know exactly how I feel."
"Don't force yourself."
"Rebecca..." I noticed how defeated he looked. "C'mon."
"We haven't spoken properly for weeks, you can't expect us to go back to normal so soon."
Leon's lip pouted and his brows furrowed. He looked like he was about to argue, but instead, he paused and then gave a firm nod. "Fair."
Not even half an hour later he became more playful and the mood had lightened. He was currently resting on my chest while I played with his hair.
"You have the calmest heartbeat, it's actually soothing," he whispered.
I smiled slightly. "This is how calm I am when you don't piss me off."
He chuckled and moved his head a little so it was resting on my bosom instead. "Much better."
I laughed. "You're so annoying."
His hand shifted up my torso and rested on my breast, squeezing gently. "They're so nice, Becc's."
"Thanks, I guess."
Leon's eyes turned up to me with a dangerous gleam. "I miss sucking on them."
The sudden change of atmosphere shocked me, and I simply stared back at him with a blank face. "You can't be horny."
"Why can't I?"
"We're supposed to be relaxing."
He raised up onto his knees carrying a playful smirk. "Look how long it's been, though. You think I can stay with you and not touch you?" Before I could answer, he leaned down and kissed me softly on the lips, stunning me into silence. "I've missed you," he whispered.
I remained quiet.
Leon kept strong eye contact while his hands sought out the hem of my top. Lifting it up slowly, he pecked my lips and jaw, making himself comfortable between my legs.
"Missed this body," he whispered on my lips, raising my top higher to expose my bra. Very slowly, he lowered his head to kiss my right breast. I squeezed my eyes shut, unable to make a sound.
My heart thumped loudly, I was sure he could hear it. Leon's lips latched onto the delicate skin of my breast and he began sucking gently. I breathed deeply, trying to collect my thoughts and assess the situation — but what was there to really assess? This wasn't exactly part of the plan; how did this even happen?
He quickly peeled the cups of my bra back and my nipples grew hard at the cool air. Without wasting any time, Leon circled my nipple with the tip of his tongue before nibbling on it gently. I winced and sucked in a breath.
"Leon..." I muttered with a whine.
He grunted in response, gently biting and pulling on the hardened nub. My body shuddered in response, and a prickling sensation stirred in my belly. It wasn't rare for us to do this, but it still came as a shock, especially all that we'd been through recently.
I dared to peek an eye open and glanced down. Leon looked so erotic with his mouth on my breast. Maybe he felt me watching him, but his eyes flashed open and we gazed at each other for a few silent moments.
His mouth detached from my nipple with a small 'pop' sound. "You're making me hard."
From the way he ground his erection against my thigh, it wasn't exactly a shock.
I maintained eye contract and swallowed the lump in my throat. This would usually be the point where we stopped, or I would get him off with my hand instead. But today was different.
"Do you want to...?" I asked.
His brow quirked a little bit, stunned by my question. "Are you serious?"
I nodded and quickly rolled over, instantly swapping our positions so that I was straddling his hips. I rested my hands on either side of his head and gazed down at him. Leon blinked at me in mild confusion, then he released a grunt when I began kissing his neck.
Running my hands over his firm torso, I traced my lips across his neck and to his jaw. Leon was quiet, yet his hands mirrored mine, roaming over my back and eventually resting on my bum.
My mouth found his and very quickly our tongues connected, rolling over each other sensually. His large hands squeezed my bum and I moaned into his mouth. Almost instinctively, his hips thrust upwards and he let out of another soft grunt. With his hands firmly clasping my backside, he pulled me harder against him and ground his erection against me.
"Mm," I breathed on his mouth. My heart was racing and my chest was tight from the bated breaths.
Suddenly, he pulled away from the kiss and stared up at me.
"Let me grab something."
I clambered off him without question and he shot up off the bed, hurrying out of the room. Straight away I retrieved Leon's phone that I had slipped out of his pocket while we were kissing.
Already knowing his password, I unlocked the phone and began looking around. I'm not the type to usually do this, but when suspicion was constantly niggling my brain I had to quickly see about it otherwise I will never be satisfied. Waiting for Leon to tell me, or depending on him to have a change of heart to confess, was a huge mistake. It was time to take matters into my own hands.
I had been waiting for this moment all day.
His Facebook was more or less dead, as was his Blackberry Messenger. The only thing left to check was his text messages. Straight away I saw that the latest one was from someone called O, sent three hours ago.
— Yh come round, I'm not busy
What time will u reach?
Mmm-hmm. This was probably before I called Leon to ask if he was home, since he didn't reply to the message. I scrolled up in the conversation, skimming through and humming at certain points.
— I had such a nice day bbe
Thanks for the meal x
Interesting. I continued to scroll upwards to one of the earlier parts of their love quest.
— I liked it too
U was bare rough tho lol
Are u gonna tell ur girl?
I looked at his reply.
— Lol I told u I can get rough innit
& don't worry about her, we're on and off
I locked the phone and threw it back down, then I did something I least expected to do when I finally uncovered the truth.
I smiled.
My mind was blank, yet my body reacted so strongly. I let out a small laugh and sat at the edge of the bed, fixing my bra and top. After weeks of confusion, denial, jealousy and flat out anger, I had finally divulged into an unfamiliar emotion: relief.
Relieved that I wasn't going insane. Relieved that I had found out sooner rather than later. Relieved that I can finally close this chapter.
I knew coming here would do me some good.
"Becca?"
The voice snapped me out of my reverie and I glanced up at Leon who was stood in front of the bed, peering down at me skeptically.
"You okay babe? You were staring into space." He chuckled and sat beside me, kissing me lightly on the cheek. The skin where his lips had just touched felt like it would burn.
"Had to run to the shop quick," he explained before placing a condom on my leg suggestively. I glanced down at the foil packet before looking back at him.
Then I smirked.
"When I was last here, I saw all the condoms in your drawer," I began. Leon raised a brow but I continued, "So you used all of them with her?" I chuckled. "At least you practised safe sex."
Leon cleared his throat, his body becoming stiff. "What do you-..."
"Those were some cute messages you and Olivia sent each other, I wish our relationship had that much passion."
His eyes bulged and darted to his Blackberry on the bed. Then he tapped his pockets, as if the physical proof of his phone was not enough to curb his disbelief.
"You went through my phone?"
"You're cheating?"
His lips snapped shut and his jaw tensed in frustration. I watched his face closely, expectedly, waiting for his bullshit excuses. After a few silent moments, he sighed. "Rebecca-"
"To be honest, I don't wanna know. I thought I did, but I actually can't be bothered." I stood up off the bed. "I knew I should've believed Shanay in the first place. I knew something wasn't right, but I kept giving you the benefit of the doubt." I shook my head dejectedly. "Why the fuck would I do that? Anyway, I'm not about to have some massive argument with you, because that's annoying and dramatic. I just came to get answers, and I got them, so..." I shrugged and picked up my jacket before pulling it on.
"Becca-"
"It's Rebecca to you."
He sighed. "Stay for a minute, yeah? Just let me explain."
"Explain what? Shit that I already know?" I burst out laughing. "I'm good. You've already wasted my time. This whole thing was a mistake."
His brows furrowed. "What do you mean?"
"Don't ask me what I fucking mean, you heard what I said."
"After everything I've done for you, and you're gonna chat shit?"
I watched him silently for a second, then I glanced at his phone. He was much slower than me as he realised too late — I grabbed his phone and unlocked it a second time, going back to their heartfelt conversation.
"I had such a lovely day babe, thanks for the meal," I read the text aloud.
I saw him inwardly cringe at that.
"Funny. I can't remember the last time you took me out. Was I even your girl?" I asked.
"Don't ask me dumb questions."
"That's fucking funny because," I went back to the phone and read one of his responses, "apparently we're on and off." I looked back to him. "So what's the truth, Leon?"
"It's not even-"
"Shut the fuck up. I don't care what you have to say anymore." I glanced at his phone and quickly threw it hard at the wall, watching as it instantly broke apart and fell into pieces on the floor.
Leon shot up. "Oi what the FUCK!"
I zipped my coat up and headed for the door. "Tell her to buy you a new one."
There was no response, complete silence filled the household as I padded down the stairs and slipped out before his sister could spot me. I couldn't bear to lie in her face and smile like everything was okay. Maybe Leon was good at that, but my emotions showed on my face too much.
After that, I walked down the road with a blank mind, trying to process everything that had just happened. I'd always had an inkling that Leon was unfaithful — and finally uncovering that truth was alleviating — but now the acts of deceit were slowly creeping up on me.
Leon had lied ... but for how long, exactly? Were there more girls on his roster? Him and Olivia probably laughed at me every time they laid down together.
I breathed heavily, feeling a small churning in the pit of my stomach that was gradually intensifying, as if it had been there all along but I was only starting to feel it. The weight had been lifted off my shoulders, at least.
Eventually, I got back home and went straight upstairs to my room. My chest felt heavy with my current cold, but a bitterness rested there as well, and no amount of coughing could get rid of it.
I changed into some comfortable clothes and hopped back into bed, suddenly over this day already, and it wasn't even 1 p.m. yet. Through the fogginess in my brain, the heaviness on my chest, and the crackling of my heart, I somehow managed to fall asleep.
I was no longer smiling.
Not much time had passed before I felt a vibration on my cheek. Frowning slightly, I moved my head and groaned at the disturbance. Feeling groggy and annoyed, I reached for my phone and answered the call without looking.
"Speak."
"Ah shit, were you sleeping?"
That familiar, yet unfamiliar voice made my frown deepen. Just when I had forgotten about this guy.
"Do you like calling girls when they're in a comfortable sleep, or do you only do this to me?" I gurgled.
D'Andre chuckled. "Nah, course not. Accident b."
I couldn't help but tut at his cheerful tone. Here I was, ill and single, and he had the nerve to laugh when I clearly wasn't in the mood. "What do you want?"
"Just to chat, it's been a while, init."
"No. I'm not in the mood."
It was as if my annoyed tone was only starting to get to him. "Ah, but-"
"Look, you seem like a nice guy, really. But this? This isn't gonna work. You have the worst timing in the world, and I'm not interested, okay?"
He sighed. "If you have a man, just say so."
My mouth opened to retaliate, but that wasn't even the case anymore. "I don't."
"How?"
"Huh?"
"How are you single?"
Flashbacks of earlier came to mind. Rolling around on Leon's bed, kissing and touching, and then I recalled the incriminating texts on his phone. Suddenly a series of flashes came one after the other: Olivia's face, Leon's grin, Olivia in Kieran's bedroom last night. Leon giving me piggyback rides. Leon and I sharing our first kiss. Then Leon with Olivia. I imagined them holding hands as they walked down the road, completely unashamed of their taboo relationship.
Finally, I shook my head. "I can't trust anyone."
D'Andre fell silent for a moment. I heard his breath on the phone for a few short seconds. "Not even me?"
I checked the time on the screen of my phone and sighed. "Bye." Before he could answer, I hung up and threw my phone down. 6:32 p.m. So I had napped for six hours, huh? I really am ill.
Staying indoors being plagued by my own thoughts didn't sound like a good idea to me, so I hopped out of bed and changed my clothes yet again, ignoring the throbbing in my skull. Time to head back out.
I reached Shanay's in no time and rang the doorbell. After a few moments, the door opened and Ms Cambridge greeted me with a smile.
"Rebecca, how are you?" she asked, stepping aside to let me in. I walked in and removed my jacket and trainers.
"Fine auntie."
"I think she's sleeping upstairs," she said with a roll of her eyes. "Gwarn wake her up."
I laughed and heading upstairs. Once I opened her door — without knocking, of course — I saw her small frame wrapped up in the covers. She was snoring lightly, with the blinds closed and her phone clutched in her hand.
Padding over to the bed quietly, I sat at the edge and dragged the duvet off her body. She instantly clutched her arms and groaned. Shan was lucky, if it wasn't for my intense migraine, I would've jumped on her.
"Wake up!" I yelled.
Shanay groaned and opened an eye to look at me. "The fuck do you want?"
I laughed and slapped her thigh. "I knew you had an early finish today so I came to chill."
She kissed her teeth and turned on her side, facing the other way. I couldn't help but laugh at her rude behaviour whenever she was sleepy, Shanay honestly reminded me of myself.
I feigned an exasperated sigh and laid back on the mattress. "Fine, you don't wanna hear the news then?"
Silence.
"Okay, cool. Guess I'll tell someone else about Kanye and Kim Kardashian dating."
I've never seen Shanay bolt straight up from her bed so quickly before. "What?!"
I laughed at her expression. "I'm chatting shit man." She was too damn gullible. As if Kanye West and Kim K would ever get together. In what realm?
She cut her eye before slamming her head down on the pillow, releasing a heavy sigh. "Can't believe you woke me up for bullshit."
"Sorry not sorry." I sat up on the bed and crossed my legs. "I'm ill but I can't stay in all day."
"So you decided to fuck up my sleep?"
"Get over it."
"Fuck you." I laughed and she checked her phone, then her eyes bugged. "Shit. Five missed calls from Hayden."
I raised a brow. "So?"
"We're beefing at the moment. He probably thinks I'm being petty and airing him, when really I'm just tired of his shit."
I chuckled. These two with their make up's and break up's. It was never anything serious, always involving social media and one being jealous of the other. At least they were consistent.
"He'll probably call you again," I said confidently with a shrug.
Shanay kissed her teeth and threw her phone down. "Did my mum let you in?"
"Yep."
She nodded with a yawn and stretched before getting up. "I hope she cooked. I'm starving."
"Well, she looked like she was about to go out."
"Ah." Shanay sighed. "She might be taking Corey to my grandma's. Free yard it is, then."
"Woo," I said sarcastically.
Shanay laughed. "Gonna pee."
As soon as she left the room, my phone vibrated. I checked the name and my smile fell instantly.
— So u gonna explain why u skipped work today?
Didn't get to see u in that tight uniform :(
I scoffed at such a brazen text by the one and only. He only thought to text me now, when the day is almost over? After rolling my eyes to the back of my head for a good 10 minutes, I responded.
— I'm ill
Not that it's any of your business
An immediate response.
— Should I come round and look after u?
I almost laughed.
— Pls don't.
The next message was something I saw coming from miles away.
— Can u still come to the rave tomorrow?
— Yeah I'm still coming, don't cry
— Lol good, make sure you wear a tight dress for me, so I can see that fat ass
— Fuck off Kayden
"Who you texting?"
I glanced up and saw Shanay walking back into the room, her weave now tied back in a bun. She yawned and started scratching her head vigorously. I watched her for a moment to see when she would stop, but she didn't.
"Nits?" I guessed.
She burst out laughing. "Shut up, man. This weave needs to come out." She patted her head and tutted. "But yeah, who's that?" she asked again, referring to my phone.
"Oh. Ugh. Just Kayden."
She turned to me and bit her lip. "He's so fine."
"We're not getting into that right now. He's annoying me."
She laughed and opened her drawer, pulling out a pair of socks before slipping them on. "As usual," she muttered. "What's he done this time?"
"Exist."
Shanay chuckled and shook her head. "You two were made for each other."
"No, he was just made to ruin my life."
She paused for a moment, almost in thought. "Speaking of ruining lives, how's Leon?"
I groaned again. "We're over, man."
"WHAT?"
"Shh!"
"No! What happened?!"
I decided to tell Shanay everything, from the minute I stepped into his home, to the texts, to the little argument, to me smashing his phone. She stared at me bug-eyed the entire time, not commenting once. When I was done, she released a long breath: "Shiiiiiiiit."
"I know. So you were right all along."
"I could've told you that."
I gave a small smile. "Sorry for not taking your side."
Shanay shrugged. "Don't be. It just sucks that he turned out to be such a prick. Fucking asshole. Lying piece of shit. What a scumbag." She was clearing some of her clothes away and putting them into her wardrobe, her mini-rant turning more aggressive as she went on. "And that fucking skank-ass bitch Olivia. She had the cheek to even get involved with Leon, when she's fucking around with Kieran and my cousin? Fucking every Tom Dick and Harry that moves. What a fucking sket. She's probably given something to everyone she's fucked. Can't believe this. She's not even nice, and I've never liked her."
That caught my attention. "Wait, you've met her?"
She slammed her wardrobe door shut. "Yeah, when she and Tyreece first got together. He brought her round. Can't believe she's stepped foot in this house. I should choke her out."
I remember when Shanay told me that her cousin brought his new girlfriend to the house, and that was quite a while ago now. I wonder how long Olivia's been cheating on Tyreece, and who else with. I shudder to even think about it.
"I hope Leon gets rushed," Shanay continued.
I couldn't help but laugh at that. "Maybe one day."
"If you tell Kayden, he might do the honours."
"I'm not telling Kayden about this."
Shanay quirked a brow. "Why not?"
"Because then he'll try even harder to get with me."
"And? Now you can finally shag him without feeling guilty about having a man."
"Never use the word shag again."
Shanay laughed and then her phone buzzed. After checking it, she made a small gasping sound and then turned to me slowly. "You're gonna need my help today."
"Why?"
"Tyreece is on his way ... with Zion."
My whole world suddenly came crashing down. Of all days! Tyreece was lovely and I adored him, but Zion was a completely different story. For a pair of identical twins, they were completely different. Tyreece was reserved, shy, down to earth and intelligent. Zion, however, was loud, obnoxious, cheeky, and a hoe.
While Tyreece was quite the athlete (with a lovely muscular body, I might add), Zion was on the leaner side, and was into creative activities, such as hosting radio shows, doing photography and cooperating at huge music events. They were polar opposites and their respective hobbies didn't even suit them.
My main problem with Zion is that ... somehow ... he was 10 times worse than Kayden with his advances. Ever since we were little, he's been onto me, but as we've grown older, he has become worse instead of better. They were a year older than me — soon to be 19 — and I wished Zion would hurry up and marry already, that way he would leave me the hell alone.
I exhaled deeply. "Just ... don't tell him I'm single."
Shanay laughed. "I won't."
After about an hour of bitching, Shanay's mum left with her little brother and it wasn't long before the doorbell rang. I blew on my nails that Shan had just painted, while she ran downstairs to get the door. I decided that it would be easier for us to stay downstairs, that way Zion wouldn't try to lure me to Shanay's bed like he always did.
When I reached the living-room, Zion and Tyreece were in the middle of hugging Shanay, completely towering over their little cousin.
"Where's auntie?" Tyreece asked.
"She's gone to grandmas with Corey. You missed her by like five minutes."
"Ahh, I wanted to see Corey, man." Zion pouted and took off his jacket, placing it down on the back of the sofa. "So what you sayin'? Free yard, yeah?"
"Not really." Shanay pointedly glanced at me and the pair swivelled round to see what she was looking at.
I gave a small wave. "Yo."
Tyreece flashed a handsome smile. "You alright, Becc's?"
"Yeah, not ba-"
"Oiiiii, what you sayin'!" Zion suddenly flew over to me and swooped me up into a bear-crushing hug, spinning me around quickly. I immediately thumped him on the back.
"Put me down!"
He placed me down and grinned at me. "You're looking sexy."
"I'm ill, so I know that's a damn lie."
"We can be ill together, b."
I pushed his face away and went to hug Tyreece instead. His large hands enveloped me with a gentleness that I appreciated. "Hi Ty."
"Sorry to hear you're ill."
I pulled away and smiled. He was so lovely, I can't believe Olivia would cheat on this adorable, innocent cinnamon roll. He was too good for this world, too pure.
"Thanks. It's just a little cold, it'll go soon."
Shanay switched on the TV and flicked to Sky movies. She threw me the remote before walking off to the kitchen. "You lot find a film, I'll grab some snacks."
"I'll help," Tyreece, offered, following Shanay out.
My eyes widened. "No wait, don't leave me wi-"
Zion snaked up behind me. "You're acting like man's gonna hurt you."
I shuddered at the warm breath on my neck and spun around to glare at him. Zion was ... undeniably sexy, but the problem with him is that he knew this. While Tyreece had short, wavy hair, Zion decided to grow his out into a hightop with a fade. Other than that, they were fairly similar; both with smooth brown skin, strong jaws, big lips and perfect teeth. The main distinguishing feature was Zion's beauty spot on his cheek, while Ty didn't have one. It was always easy to tell them apart because of that.
Slowly moving away from him, I sat on the sofa and began searching for a film. As expected, Zion plonked down right beside me, propping an arm on my shoulder.
"What've you been up to?" he asked.
"Nothing exciting. Just coursework."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yup."
His hand soon found my hair, and he started playing with it. "Heard you got a job at Footlocker."
I shrugged. "Yeah. That, too."
"I used to work in the one in Clapham Junction."
"Nice."
He chuckled at my blatant disinterest. "How are you finding it?"
"Not bad. You can stop touching my hair now."
"But it smells so nice." He leaned closer and inhaled my hair. I shrugged away from him.
"You're so creepy, man. I'll tell Shanay."
He laughed. "Calm down, just admiring my future wife."
I almost projectile vomited. "Don't call me that."
He smirked. "I'm being serious. Just waiting for you and Leon to call it quits."
"Even then, me and you are never happening."
"You're not the first girl to tell me this, y'know."
"Oh?" I glanced at him with a raised brow.
"Yeah. Been there, done that."
"Done as in ... had sex?"
Zion shrugged and rested his feet up on the coffee table.
I couldn't help but sneer. "You're still a hoe and you expect to get with me?" I burst out into exaggerated laughter. I could tell my teasing bothered him.
"Allow it. I'm not a hoe, I'm careful, y'know."
"Better not touch me before I catch HIV."
He chuckled at that. "Stop Becc's. I'm serious about you."
"Mm. Nice. Anyway, what film should we watch?"
He turned to the TV and licked his lips in concentration. I stole a quick glance at him. It's a shame Zion was a twat, otherwise, he would have had a lot going for him. Maybe that's why God created two of them: he realised his mistake in crafting Zion, so he made Tyreece instead.
Speaking of the devil (angel), Tyreece walked back in with Shanay, each holding an assortment of snacks.
"What are we watching?" Ty asked.
"Well, I haven't found a film. Your stupid brother was distracting me."
"Oi, can you believe she's still with that Leon don?" Zion said to Tyreece, who simply chuckled before sitting on the other sofa.
"What do you expect?" he asked, placing two bowls of popcorn on the table.
Me and Shanay shared a quick glance and she hurriedly put the crisps and sweets down before clapping her hands. "Right, gimme the remote, since you two want to mess about."
"Him, not me," I grumbled, throwing the Sky remote to Shan. She caught it and sat next to Tyreece.
While they all debated on a film to watch, Zion's other hand found its way to my thigh. I slapped his hand away, and he chuckled as if this were all a game. He'll soon realise this game was over when I chopped off his fingers. He tried again, and each time I slapped his hand or scratched it hard with my nails. Eventually, I gave up.
"Shan, can we swap seats?"
Shanay glanced at Zion, who gave a sweet smile in return, and nodded. I sighed in relief and we swapped over, not without Zion trying to smack my bum as soon as I stood up, mind you. Shanay noticed and grabbed his arm.
"What's wrong with you? Leave her alone, you perv."
"Becc's knows I'm joking man." Zion winked at me and I screwed him in return.
"Let me know if he keeps bothering you and I'll sort him out," Tyreece promised. I smiled at his protective words and felt like cuddling up to him. Ty was such a sweetheart, he really could get any girl he wanted — it's a shame he's stuck with a hoe for a girlfriend.
My phone vibrated and I saw yet another message from Kayden.
— Gonna pick you up around 10 tomorrow
Look sexy for me ;)
I tutted and shoved my phone back in my pocket. There was no way I would waste my time with him right now.
"Who was that?" Zion asked.
I watched him for a good few minutes, wondering what drug he must be on to be so inquisitive with my life. "No-one you know."
"Bet it was Kayden." Shanay winked.
I glared at her for a moment, then noticed Zion stiffen.
"You got another man?"
I raised a brow. "Are you sick? Do I look like the kind of girl to have two men?"
Shanay tutted. "Exactly, Becc's isn't like these other girls who cheat on their man daily." She pointedly looked at Tyreece, who was too busy on his phone to notice Shanay indirecting his trash girlfriend. I didn't have enough time to admire his face before he tutted and glanced up, looking right at his brother.
"She's still acting off," he said to Zion.
He rolled his eyes in response. "Been telling you to lock it off with her."
"Who?" I asked stupidly, my heart thumping.
Zion sighed. "You might not know, Ty has this girl called Olivia, but she's too sometimish."
"Never liked her," Shanay spoke up.
Tyreece slumped in his chair a little. "She said she's been stressed lately so I've given her space," he defended with a light shrug.
"Fuck all that," Zion grunted. "She's got you wrapped around her finger, bro. How've you not seen her for three weeks but she's all over Facebook chatting with everyone else like everything's calm?"
Shanay and I shared a glance.
Tyreece noticeably stiffened. He hated to be put on the spot so suddenly, especially since whatever Zion was saying had some truth to it.
"She's taking you for a mug, bro," Zion said.
"When did you guys last speak?" Shanay asked, now beginning to show interest.
Tyreece gave another shrug. "Like three days ago."
"Have you tried calling?" she questioned again.
"She busies my call every time."
"That doesn't sound good Ty," I admitted. Little did he know that while Olivia was busying his calls, she was busy riding Kieran or some other poor fool into a coma. It was baffling how she was able to cover her tracks. I wasn't sure whether to commend her or kill her.
I hated keeping silent and not letting him know, but Tyreece would be absolutely devastated if Shanay or I told him the truth — about how promiscuous his girlfriend is, what she's really doing in her free time, or who she's really doing. It would break him, and although the truth would set him free, I wouldn't want to be the one to unleash that kind of hurt. Besides, it wasn't my business to say ... although a part of me thinks I should.
"She's not serious," Zion tutted. "You need to lock it off with her."
"I need to see her and chat with her first," Ty retorted with a slight crinkle on his brow. His aura was becoming darker by the second. All of a sudden, I wanted to switch seats again.
Zion smiled in half-amusement, half-disbelief. "You think that will change anything? Whatever bullshit excuse she's given you over the phone is gonna be the same thing she says to your face."
"Just leave it, Zion," Tyreece warned sternly. The bass in his voice made me flinch. It was rare to see Tyreece so fiery, but this could only mean that he felt so strongly about Olivia that he would rather Zion keep his thoughts to himself.
Zion simply shrugged and went back to the TV. Shanay looked at me once more and mouthed 'awkward'. I nodded in agreement and checked the time on my phone. It was getting late, and the sky was darkening outside. Maybe I'll head home soon.
It wasn't long before I was back home in my room digging around in my wardrobe. My headache had long disappeared and had left behind a dull ache, but I was feeling restless with the rave steadily approaching and all I wanted to do was find an outfit.
Maybe a cute jumpsuit? Or a skirt and crop top combo? Either way, I really didn't want to wear a dress.
"That dress is perfect!"
I sighed and turned to the camera on my laptop with the shining red light. Brooklyn had Skyped me to talk about our media project and we both quickly got distracted with my outfit choice.
"No dresses, remember?"
I saw her face drop in at the bottom of the screen and her brow raised. "Why is that again?"
"I don't want anything too tight that would make my bum show, Kayden will be all over me then."
"And you think anything else you wear will hide that thing?" She burst out laughing and the camera began to shake as she rolled around on her bed. I stared at her through the screen. "What? You know it's true. Acting like he won't be over you regardless."
"Be quiet."
"Seriously, though. What's that dress at the back? Hold it up for me."
Already knowing which one she was referring to, I picked out the very last dress at the back and brought it closer to the laptop, allowing Brooklyn to see the detail. The long-sleeve bodycon dress was a dark plum colour with a deep plunge neckline that shows cleavage. I'd only worn it once before at a Grace's birthday meal and remembered just how fitted it was. Not only would this show the swell of my backside, but my curves and chest ... just no.
"Yeah ... no."
Brooklyn leaned closer to her camera, her messy bed-hair falling over her face. "Why the hell not?"
"Why do you think it's at the back of my wardrobe?"
"Don't be dumb. What's wrong with it?"
"It's too much."
She scoffed. "It's a rave!"
I turned the dress around to see the back and could picture myself in it. Sure, I would look nice in it, but...
"It's a really sexy dress," Brooklyn sang with a wiggle of her brows. "You'll look like a snack."
I rolled my eyes and hung the dress up in the front of the wardrobe. "Fine."
She screamed. "Don't lie! You'll wear it?"
I shrugged. "Yeah, I guess so." She continued to squeal and I tutted before turning down the volume on my laptop. I couldn't help but laugh at Brooklyn twirling around her room in just her pyjama shorts and top. I could understand her elation — we'd been looking at outfits for the past hour and I was being fussy with everything she'd suggested. I'm not sure what made me finally decide upon a dress ... maybe deep down, I wanted to see Kayden's reaction to me all dolled up.
I shut my eyes for a moment and pictured his expression, those brown eyes widening once they fell on my frame, his mouth forming that sideways smirk. Then, he'd pull me close and whisper on my lips: "You look so beautiful..."
"Becc's?"
I snapped out of my reverie and opened my eyes. "Hm?"
Brooklyn had finished dancing and was lying back on her bed again, facing the laptop. "You can dream about Kayden when I'm gone, yeah?"
I sputtered a cough. "I'm not."
She chuckled. "I can't wait to hear about this rave, you two are gonna be all over each other."
"Erm, no. He's gonna be all over me and I'll be dancing with one of his friends, probably."
"While imagining it was him. Cool."
I stuck my middle finger up at her and she laughed. Then she paused and leaned closer as if inspecting my face. "Is that a spot on your forehead?"
I quickly stood up and walked to the mirror attached to my wardrobe door. Sure enough, a small bump was in the centre of my forehead with a blotch of white in the middle.
"Ah, shit," I grumbled, ready to pop it.
"What are you doing!" I heard her screech. I turned to see a horrified look on her face through the screen. "Don't pop it. You'll leave a scar. Just wear makeup tomorrow."
"You want me to wear makeup over a spot? You're funny." I faced the mirror once again and used both thumbs to squeeze the puss out, all the while ignoring Brooklyn's screams of protest. She was so loud, I can't even begin to imagine what she'd be like during childbirth.
After wiping away the residue and throwing away the wet wipe, I turned back to my scream where Brooks was waiting in anticipation, her eyes glued to the screen.
"How does it look?"
I edged closer for her to see the skin on my forehead. Luckily for me, my skin was quite healthy despite the odd blemish; there was no trace of a spot left behind.
"Lucky bitch."
I laughed. "Can't believe you suggested makeup. You know I don't really wear much."
"Please wear some tomorrow. I want you to blow Kayden away."
"He's blown away just by seeing me in work uniform. I think it'll be okay."
Brooklyn laughed and I saw her check the time. "How is it already 11 o'clock? Time really flew, man."
I held the laptop and laid back on my bed with it resting on my belly. "I know, I've had such a long day as well."
Brooklyn frowned a little bit. I'd already filled her in on my day, from seeing Leon to visiting Shanay, to the awkward air that hung above us while Zion and Tyreece had their little 'debate'. Zion was still consistent, at least; he still tried to move to me as I was leaving Shanay's house. Like always, I ignored him and walked out the front door.
"Poor Tyreece," she muttered. "This Olivia girl is a problem. She should get rushed or something."
I smiled. "That's exactly what Shanay said."
"Well, I'm a strong believer in Karma. She'll eventually get what's coming to her. There's no way she can live this wayward lifestyle and still expect to have a loyal husband in the future. He'll probably give her an STI if she hasn't already got one."
Thinking about her countless bedroom activities made me shudder. "I hope she gets caught out soon. If not by Ty, then someone else."
"Same. On a lighter note, now that Leon is out of the picture, you can go back to Kayden's after the rave and do things without feeling any guilt."
I cocked a brow. "Things?"
She smiled.
Such a suggestive smirk made me cringe. "You're so annoying. Nothing's happening with us."
"You can keep saying that if it makes you feel better."
I rolled my eyes and quickly changed the subject. It was like Kayden's entire fanbase couldn't stop talking about him, but sometimes I needed to get away from all thoughts of Mr. Loverman himself.
Eventually, our Skype call ended and I was cosy in bed watching Eastenders. It wasn't long before my eyelids began to feel heavy. As I was drifting off, my phone vibrated. With my eyes still shut, I blindly felt around my bed until I grabbed the phone and answered.
"Mmhm."
"Did I wake you?"
I sighed. Kayden. "I was just falling asleep."
"I can't even sleep."
"I don't remember asking."
His low chuckle was soothing to the ear. "So rude, as usual."
"Not rude, just honest."
"Maybe you're too honest."
"Maybe I'm too real for you."
"Not really, I like real. You're just raw."
"Is that a bad thing?"
He was silent for a moment. "Nah. I can handle you." The way he said it made my heart pick up speed. "You set for tomorrow night?"
I groaned. "Yes, Kayden. You're making such a big fuss out of nothing. Is this your first rave?"
He laughed. "No, I'm just looking forward to seeing you outside of work for a change."
"Oh. Well ... it better be worth it."
"It will be. How are you feeling?"
Despite the mildly-sore throat and slight ache in my temple, I felt okay. "Not bad, thanks."
"I could've looked after you today," he said.
"You were at work."
"So if I wasn't at work, I could've come?"
"No."
He laughed. "Since you're feeling better, I don't have to go easy on you."
That sentence was so ambiguous I wasn't sure how to react at first. "What?"
"Tomorrow night."
That still wasn't helpful. "What do you mean?"
"When we're whining to that music tomorrow, I don't need to hold back."
My eyes snapped open. Suddenly I could picture it. An intimate club with a low lit atmosphere, slow jams seeping through the speakers, and Kayden's body snug behind mine. I envisioned our hips moving in sync, and his breath on my neck while he gripped my waist firmly...
I coughed loudly and cleared my throat. "Who said I'm dancing with you?"
He hummed. "You don't have a choice."
"Okay perv. I'm going now."
"It's not pervy if you want it."
I swallowed hard and opened my mouth to respond, but no sound came out. It was like I was finding it harder to lie these days.
Kayden smiled through the phone. "Will you be able to keep up?"
"I'm not..."
"You're not what?"
Good question. What can I actually say to that? I'm not ready? But for what, exactly? I can't even think straight right now.
"Kayden..." I muttered.
"Rebecca." His voice was thick and laden with lust.
"I have..."
"A man? I know."
No. That's not what I wanted to say, although maybe I shouldn't even correct him.
He continued: "This is just dancing, though. There's nothing wrong with it."
My brain was melting at this point. "Okay."
"I can't help it if I get carried away, though."
I raised a brow. "Huh?"
"When I really get into it I like to grip a girls hair and pull it, or bend her forward so she's arching her back. Makes it easier for her to push against me."
The mental image that flashed through my mind was way too provocative for a mere dance. It sounded like something he would also do during sex. Oh great, now I'm imagining an entirely different scenario!
"Stop," I mumbled.
"Okay." I could hear the amusement in his tone. He knew when he had affected me.
It fell silent for a moment, and it gave me time to think. "What would have happened if I didn't have a man?"
He chuckled. "We'd be together by now."
I burst out laughing. What kind of confidence! Kayden was really something else.
"Carry on laughing, Ree. It'll happen eventually."
I couldn't stop the laughter from bubbling up. "Yeah, whatever you say, mate."
"Then we'd do more than just whining," he said in low tones.
This was turning into something taboo really quickly. I had to end this call before he got out of hand ... and before I started playing along with him. "Kayden?"
"Hm?"
"I'm going."
"Why?"
"Tired."
He was quiet for a moment, and then I heard him smile. I could instantly picture that sideways smirk that gave him such a cheeky expression, and couldn't help but smile myself.
"Goodnight, Ree."
I swallowed hard and shut my eyes tight, imaging him here beside me, cuddling me from behind, whispering into my ear.
"Night."
I pressed the End Call button and released a heavy sigh. I didn't realise I was holding my breath, but the moment my muscled relaxed, the pounding of my heart became extremely prominent.
I rested my hand on my chest, feeling the erratic heartbeat, before turning onto my side and licking my lips.
The mental image came back in an instant. Kayden and I in a club dancing close, his hands sliding up my sides to grip my waist firmly. We wouldn't separate the whole night, our only communication being the fluid movement of our bodies.
That night, I fell asleep with a smile.
Fuck you, Kayden.

No comments:

Post a Comment