Friday 1 November 2013

Chapter twenty-two

Kayden
"When you gonna tell her?" I questioned.
He shrugged in response and closed his locker. It was the end of a tiring day. I sighed in relief, getting ready to leave the building. After collecting our things we left the staff room. 
"Don't even think she'll care," he mumbled. Look at him, he was a mess, all over one girl. Wow. 
I opened my locker and took my hoody out. "Why wouldn't she care?"
Nathan glanced at me, now looking even more miserable. "She's Stacey; she doesn’t care about anything, 'cept make-up." I laughed. He was right.
"She'd understand. This is summin' you can't control."
He nodded. "Watch her shout at me."
I shrugged. "I have to go through that with Ree every day. You can handle Stacey."
He chuckled. "Where is she anyway?" 
"Day off."
He nodded and wore his hat. "Your birthday tomorrow, init?" I nodded slowly. "What you doing?" 
"Nothing, just gonna jam at yard."
His brow rose. "For an 18th?"
I laughed at his expression. "Yeah man, fuck it. I do something every year. Can't be bothered."
"So you're not coming in tomorrow?" 
"Nah."
We left the building and passed Mr Herman along the way. His stomach fascinates me. He peered at me.
"Gonna lock up?" I nodded and he threw me the keys. Fuck sake, man was tired. I just wanted to go home and sleep, but there was always too much on my mind. We got outside and I retrieved the same keys that I had stuffed in my pocket. 
"Lock him in," he suggested with an evil smile.
I smirked. "Your mind’s fucked. I ain't getting fired for no man." 
"These times he deducted my pay. Fat bastard." He kissed his teeth. "Lock him in." I laughed and shook my head.
We waited for sir to leave. He said his goodbyes, got in his car, then drove off. I locked the main door and Nathan sighed.
"I'm gonna call her," he said, referring to Stacey. 
"Make sure you do. Tell her everything." He frowned slightly. I could understand why he'd be hesitant to tell Stacey his feelings, but the sooner he does it the better. That’s why I told Ree as soon as possible, it wasn't such a big deal. He was just being a pussy about it.
We spudded a goodbye and he walked off the other way and I strolled down the road. Need something in my system; I was too tired these days. Strangely enough I haven't spoken to Ree all day. It wasn't like me at all. 
I decided to go straight to Kens yard. I told Ree I'd go see aunt Tanisha but I wanted some crow; just a quick zoot, then I'm gone. On the way I saw a couple man jammin', said cool, then carried on walking. Ain't got time to stop and chat, I needed a quick draw, and then I can go and see her.
When I got there, all these fuckers were sitting around bunnin’, except Christian of course, who was sat there examining his nails. He came to see me at work yesterday, and informed me that Dean escaped. Fuck knows how; the way Marik had him tied down would make you wonder how he managed to get away.
"Tempzzzz, what's good, fam?" Clapz hissed as he spudded me. 
"Nothin’ still. Where's Dwane?" They all shrugged in unison. I ain't seen that boy in ages. What, did he die? 
"Where you coming from?" Ken asked. 
"Work. I was gonna go see Ree for a bit, forgot about you man." 
"Have you fucked her yet?" Nic questioned immediately.
I stared at him for ages. "Shut up man. I ain't in a rush." I went and sat beside Chris, who smiled in appreciation.
"Good, you're willing to save yourself like me. Welcome to the group man," he patted my back in a brotherly fashion.
I glared at him. "I've fucked before, Chris," I pointed out. Many, many times. 
"Yeah, so have I. But saving yourself for her is the way forward, well done." He smiled.
"Tempz is waiting till she's ready herself, which is still bullshit, but wid you it's like you don't want any gyal," Nic stated, looking disgusted. This guy was all about sex. He weren't even good looking. How he gets so many chicks is beyond me. To Nicholas, everything had to relate to pussy. He doesn't believe in commitment, just if the girl was willing to spread her legs or not.
Chris screwed in return. "I'm waiting for the woman I marry."
Clapz laughed to himself. "You mean man?" 
"I'm not gay," he retorted calmly. 
"Alright, Chris. Say you marry the right woman, you have your honeymoon, you gonna beat then?" Rider asked.
"Well yeah, it'll be a special night." 
"You'll only last a minute," Ken said with a smirk.
Chris glared at him. "I'm not a one minute man," he defended. 
"Aye leave him alone. Chris ain't a one minute man." Joel, Clapz' cousin, agreed.
Chris smiled. "Thank you." 
"He's a two minute man. And he likes it doggy style so he doesn't have to watch the gyals face. He pictures a mans face instead," Nicholas added with a snigger. Chris rolled his eyes. Ken got up and set up the PS3. Joel and Rider started banging out COD.
"Don’t choose the zombie one, they fucking scare me," Rider said.
Joel laughed. "You’re just shit."
"Shut up and pick a map bruv."
Chris kissed his teeth and sat back. "I ain’t fucking gay. About two minutes. I don't fucking last two minutes," he mumbled fiddling with his keys.
Ken chuckled. "Aight you're not gay Chris; you just don't like to bun, don't like fast food, care about your nails, figure and weight, your hair, your favourite colour's peach, you think skinny jeans suit you and you wanna wait till your married before you beat. You're not gay at all." 
"No, I'm not."
I couldn't help but laugh. He was so serious about this.
Ken nodded. "Alright, and you don't last two minutes?"
He shook his head. "Half an hour at least." 
Nic raised an eyebrow. "That's still quick."
Chris sputtered. "How's that quick?!" 
"That ain't nothin’, blud. 3 hours, tops."
Chris was shocked. "How the hell do you go on for 3 hours? Don't you ejaculate?"
We all laughed. "Ejaculate, you know. The word is buss. You cum," Rider explained as he focused on the game. 
"Come where?" Chris raised a brow.
"See, that's how you know he's gay." Ken laughed and rolled up a zoot. 
"I'm not fucking gay!" he yelled, now getting frustrated. 
"Obviously you buss, then you carry on init," Clapz explained.
Chris nodded slowly. "Well my honeymoon will be special." 
"Two minutes," Ken whispered. We started laughing again and Chris screwed in return.
"Does Rebecca give heads?" Nic asked. I watched him blankly. How did he get back to her like that?

"Why?" He shrugged nonchalantly. "Nah, she ain't like that." 
"Ahh she's dead man, what does she do?"
Joel laughed. "I met a Rebecca, just yesterday," He said. 
"What is it wid women naming their child something so common?" Chris muttered.
Joel smiled. "She was sexy, I can't lie. Met her in New Look." 
"What were you doing in New Look fam?" Rider glared at him.
"Sherice wanted to go there init, then I saw her sat down waiting for her friend, so we started talking."
I nodded. "Your Rebecca ain't nothin’ like my Ree," I assured.
"Mine was sexy.  Sexy body, sexy hair, sexy lips—sexy everything." 
"Did you get her number?" Ken asked. 
"Yeah." 
"Let's hear her voice then." Nic licked his lips eagerly. He got his phone out and searched for this girl’s number. Her voice can't be better than Ree's, or her looks, or personality. My Rebecca was the real deal. He pressed call and put it on loudspeaker. It rang, and rang...and rang. Clapz laughed and Joel frowned. 
"Fucking answer," he muttered through gritted teeth.
Nic smiled. "Ahh shit, she's airin' your calls blud." Chris laughed and Joel turned to him. 
"Why you laughing Chris? You can't even draw gyal." He screwed him and I smirked. 
"My Ree would’ve answered. You're pissed Jay." He kissed his teeth and hanged up. I laughed and sat back. 
"Your Ree? She's not your property fam." Ken laughed and I shrugged. 
"Is she on a beating ting though?" Nic questioned. I stared at him. He was beginning to annoy me. Soon I'd drop-kick him in the jaw.
"She doesn't do anything like that. She's different to all the girls you've been wid." 
"Aww, Kayden you must love her off," Clapz winked.
"She's different," I repeated.
"Fucking cute man! Ey, did you get my text?" Ken asked. 
"Yeah. Can't believe Leon's in hospital." Clapz handed me his zoot and I took a draw and exhaled. I ain’t bunned in time, Becc's had taken my mind off it, but now I was back in the game.
Nic laughed. "Prick deserved whatever he got. What was it again? Shanked in the leg?" 
"Yeah. Someone did the job for us, I rate them highly." Ken laughed as he rolled up his second blunt. 
"I feel sorry for him though," Chris mused, studying his nails. 
"Fam, what is it wid you and nails?" Clapz frowned. 
He kissed his teeth. "The nail hardener I bought didn't do shit. Waste of £2.50."
It fell silent. We all stared at him dumfounded. Everyone blinked in unison. Joel was the most confused: he had actually paused the game to look at him, giving him a What-The-Fuck-Is-Wrong-With-You glare. Two minutes passed and we all continued to stare at him. Ken coughed and scratched his head, Rider had an eyebrow raised and I fiddled with my chain. Clapz tapped around on his Blackberry while the rest of us continued to stare. Then Nic started laughing, breaking the momentary silence. Chris glanced at him. 
"Fuck you man! Fuck all of you!" He got up and left the room. We all joined in the laughter. 
"His dad must be pissed. Imagine having a gay son." Nic laughed. 
"Fuck that. I'd kill my son if he was gay blud, no lie." Clapz narrowed his eyes at the thought.
"I'll make mine swim to Africa, get the discipline he deserves. About he likes dick, are you stupid? He'll get the belt three times a day till he turns straight." Ken kissed his teeth and went to the window.
Rider shrugged. "I know mine won't turn out gay." 
"What makes you so sure?" Nic asked. 
"I'll tell him about Chris, he'll know not to turn out like that." 
Nic laughed. "Fuck, I'll disown my yout blud, about he's gay. You know how shameful that is to us blacks? You know gay men can't go Jamrock."
"Alie, they'll get deaded straight." Ken took another draw of his zoot and flicked it out the window. 
"Oh yeah, did you ever get that Brandon yout back?" Clapz asked Ken, who screwed as soon as he brought it up.
"Nah, soon. About he's fracturing my nose, must want a fucking death wish." He kissed his teeth.
"How you gonna let a younger attack you though?" Nic laughed.
"He's big for his age. Can't wait to fuck him up. And that lil bitch still owes me my fucking money." 
"I thought it was Riana who owed money?" Rider questioned.
"I want her sister to give it to me. She pisses me off." Ken screwed. I peered at him, now realising who he was referring to.
"Touch her, Ken; see what I do to you." I glared.
"She owes me p blud. Five bills." 
"I don't give a fuck. Don't lay a finger on her." I screwed. He wanted to harm Erica. I wanna see him fucking try it.
He kissed his teeth in return. "Whatever init. Tell your lil cousin I want my money. I won't have to go after her." 
"Seen."
Chris entered the room, his eyebrows furrowed. Clapz laughed at his expression.
"You alright there, Chris?" 
"Fuck off." He tutted and sat back down. He laughed and Nic's phone started going off. He quickly answered.
"Yo."
"...."
"Swear down?"
"...."
"Aight. Right now, yeah?"
"...."
"Aight."
"...."
"Yeah man, cool." He locked off and sighed before rubbing his face. 
"Who was that?" Joel asked, eyes still focused on the TV screen. 
"Marik. Man said he wants us down there." 
"Now?" I asked. 
"Yeah, come we go." He stood up. Ken sighed and switched off the TV as Joel and Rider were still playing.
Rider gasped dramatically. "Ey man." 
"Come," Ken bellowed. He kissed his teeth and threw down the controller. We all left the house and I checked the time on my BB. It was coming up to six. Aight; go see Marik, then aunt Tanisha, no long ting. We caught the bus to Stockwell and walked down the road. I swear this man always changes location, fuck. I checked my phone once again.
Six-eleven.
Ken knocked on the door twice, waited 5 seconds, and then knocked once more: the signal. We waited and all stared at Chris. Once he noticed, he screwed. 
"What?" he snapped.
"Nail hardener," Nic sniggered. Christian huffed and the door slowly opened. A tall light-skinned woman wearing nothing but a lacy bra, thong and matching boots was stood there leaning against the door. She chewed on her bubble gum and ran her fingers through her curly, jet black hair. 
"You here for Marik?" she asked.
Nic tilted his head slightly. "Shit," he muttered. 
"He told us to come," I said. She blew a bubble and walked back into the house, leaving the door open and granting us entrance.
"If that weren't Marik's ting...fuck." Clapz sighed. 
"What about Elizabeth?" Rider asked him.
"Yeah, her too." 
We all stepped inside. For once it didn't smell of weed and dro, but something different. Joel sniffed.
"This guy's been fucking all day," he said.
Nic laughed. "He knows the levels." Chris rolled his eyes and we entered the main room. He was sat there in a black leather chair rolling a zoot. The woman was sat on his lap. He peered at me, then Joel. 
"Who's this?" he asked curtly.
"Our bredrin, Joel," Ken informed.
He nodded slowly and continued rolling the blunt. Shit, I wanted some of that. It was long and thick, with bare crow inside. "I'm sure you've all heard the news," he began quietly referring to Dean. We all nodded, even Joel. "He's lucky. Very lucky. But this isn't over." He turned to the woman on his lap. "Go wait in the room for me." She stood up and he slapped her ass. She giggled and walked off. 
"Katrina," he called, she turned back. "Warm up the bed for me, sexy."
She smiled seductively. "Yes, Marik." She winked and walked out. He looked back towards us. 
"Here's the thing," he began, "you've all been to his yard, whereas I haven't. I want that fucker brought back here."
Ken raised an eyebrow. "Now?"
He nodded. "Today. If not today—tomorrow. I just want him here. Can you do that?" We all nodded and he smiled. "Good, cos there's something in it for all of you." He stood up and went over to his cabinet. He opened it and retrieved a brown paper bag before sitting back in his favourite chair. He tipped the bag upside down and like twenty bags of crow began pouring out. My eyes widened. Nic grinned and Chris cleared his throat. Marik looked at him.
"Problem, Christian?" he asked. 
"Don't smoke," he answered meekly.
Marik chuckled. "Yeah." He went in his pocket and brought out a Dairy Milk chocolate bar. He threw it at Chris. "Take it or leave it."
Chris shrugged. "Safe." 
"Dean's sly, and he knows wagwaan. He has people on his side but," he laughed, "I couldn't give two shits, so bring him back here." We nodded and he lit up the zoot. "Should've shot his brains out when I had the chance. Fucking eediat." He kissed his teeth and took a draw, then looked at us. "Go." 
We all left and walked down the road. 
"So where does this Dean yout live?" Joel asked. 
"WhiteCity," Rider replied. Chris munched on his chocolate bar as we caught the 49 bus. I looked at my BB and noticed a couple people were chatting to me, so I set my status to Busy. I peered at the time.
Six thirty-two.
I kissed my teeth and put my phone away.
"What?" Clapz asked, turning to me.
"I need to be somewhere," I said. 
"Where?"
"See someone."
He nodded. "Same. Need to see Liz; it's been like two weeks." 
"Why so long?" Rider questioned.
"She stayed at her dad's init. She only came back yesterday." 
"Yet you wanna beat Marik's ting." Ken laughed and he shrugged. 
"I love Elizabeth man." 
"Say nothin'." Nicholas smiled.
I looked out the window and thought of aunt Tanisha. She needs to stay; she needs to hold on in order for me to see her. For the last time. If she ever did pass—God forbid—and I hadn't seen her, I know Ree would be disappointed. She didn't want me to make the same mistake as she did, and neither did I. We eventually arrived at Dean's. I remembered the large building and the well-kept garden that supported it. Joel was surprised at the scenery.
"A nigga who's in debt has a house like this?" he asked, amazed. 
"He doesn't own it," Ken answered. Chris was about to ring the doorbell when Rider pulled him back. 
"Kick the door down," Nic suggested.
"Say his mum's there and that, allow it. We need to be subtle," Ken said. He rang the doorbell. Silence. We continued to wait but no-one came. Ken rang again, and then began to knock on the door. 
"He's in there," he confirmed.
"How d'you know?" Clapz asked. 
"I can sense it." He looked through the letterbox and smiled. "I know you're in there Dean. If you open now it'll be easier for you." He carried on looking through the box and laughed. "Marik ain't gonna like this Deano, open up." He knocked again but it was silent. He moved aside and I looked through the letterbox. He was sat there, right there, on the stairs, just staring at the door in terror. I peered to the left and saw the little girl that had opened the door for us last time, and the older girl stood behind her. They were all in there. They weren't going to open up anytime soon.
"Leave it. We'll come back tomorrow," I concluded. They all agreed and we left and walked down the road.
"Call him," Chris suggested. 
Ken raised a brow. "What?" 
"Didn't Marik give you his number time ago?"
Ken smiled and brought his phone out in search for Dean's number. He called and put it on loudspeaker and it rang, then he answered. He didn't say anything, he just breathed through the phone. He was cautious.
"Hello, Dean." Ken greeted over the phone with a smile.
"How'd you get my number?" he enquired in a low tone. 
"You're not as smart as you think you are, Dean." Nic laughed. 
"What do you want from me?" he stuttered.
"I think you know."
"FUCKING LEAVE ME ALONE!" he shouted before locking off. They all started creasing, but I was too busy thinking. I could relate to Dean's family: they'd be losing someone special, just like me... What the fuck am I doing here? I should be with someone very important, yet I'm here wid these wastemen. Fuck it. 

"I'm gone," I announced, flipping my hood up. 
"Where?" Rider asked. I stuffed my hands in my pocket and saw the 49 bus approaching. I walked off.
"Ey, Tempz!" I heard Ken call. They can all suck my dick, this woman was more important; she was my main priority right now. I ran and caught the bus just as the door was about to close and sat down on the bottom deck for once. The bus continued its journey. I got my phone out and dialled Uncle Trey's number. He answered.
Trey: "Hello," he sniffed. I raised a brow. His voice was fucked. 
Me: "Yeah, it's me." 
Trey: "Kayden. I haven't seen you in ages. What have you been up to?" 
Me: "How is she?" He sighed. 
Trey: "Holding on." 
Me: "I'm coming." I locked off and sighed, resting my head back. 
Wait for me, aunty, I'm coming. Just hang on.
Don't go yet...

Becca
"I don't fucking know you! Please just leave! I'm begging you, please!" I kicked her in the face, causing her head to rebound off the wall. 
"Shut the fuck up," I muttered calmly, peering down at her. "I'll leave when I'm ready. I'm not done with you yet." She attempted to wriggle free of the rope I had tied around her wrists behind her back, but she was hopeless right now.
I've been torturing her for at least an hour. It felt so good to relieve the stress and anger I had built up inside me, but it felt even better releasing all the tension on her. I've been waiting for ages to do this, and it was fantastic. Her nose bled, her eyes were bloodshot, her hair tangled in numerous knots, her face bruised to a pulp, and her clothes ripped. Yeah man, I worked hard on this creation. She deserved it though. I sat there on the stool I had taken from the kitchen and watched her closely. She was sat on the floor with her back against the bloody wall. Infact, there was blood on the floor too. Huh.
"You may not know me very well, but you seem to know everyone else, every other male around the block. True?"
"What are you-..." I picked up the stool and hung it above her head. 
"TRUE OR FALSE?!"
"True, true!" she yelled, wincing in panic.
I laughed and put the stool back down. "Look at you. You actually make me sick, you know that?"
She sighed and rested her head back against the wall. Now, she was physically drained. "Just tell me who you are," she mumbled.
"Didn't I already tell you, or have you gone deaf? Too much cum blocking your ears?" That's when she spat in my face. I kicked her hard in the stomach and she fell on her side: groaning and doubled up in pain. "Are you stupid? You don't fucking know me and you wanna try that shit." I gripped her dressing gown and dragged her back up, bringing her to eye-level. "You don't know how dangerous I can be. I could be a psychopath. You don't know the full extent of my anger, yet you wanna spit in my face! If you really wanna piss me off then go on, do it again. Try it, I fucking dare you."
Her nose bled fiercely at this point. She sniffed and I released her. She sank back to the ground and fell back to her side. I scolded her and wiped the phlegm off.
"You don't need to know who I am, Olivia. Just know that you've fucked around with the wrong people. Literally." Tears left her eyes and cascaded her face, then dissolved into the carpet. I kneeled and looked at her. "Do you know what you are?" 
"Just let me go," she pleaded quietly. 
"Answer the fucking question. Do you know what you are?" 
"No," she mumbled grudgingly.
"I'll show you." I smiled at her sweetly and retrieved the pocket knife that I had stolen off Kieran a couple months ago. I pressed it lightly against the tip of my index finger: it was nice and sharp. I smiled. "Let's play a game, okay?"
I grabbed her arm and twisted it around in order for me to see properly. She squealed as I clutched her arm.
"Shut up," I grunted. She whimpered as I got the knife ready. "The aim of the game is to guess what word it is, okay?"
"No! Please!" 
"It's just a game," I stated calmly.
I began to carve into her skin. She screamed loudly, so I shoved her head into the wall to shut her up. I finished off by carving the 'T' deep into her skin and she was left whimpering. I looked at her in disgust. 
"Why are you crying?" She sniffed. "Okay, see if you can guess the word. Go on." 
"I don't-..." I twisted her arm in an awkward angle and she yelped in pain. 
"That's not a guess," I seethed.
She sniffed again. "Hoe," she mumbled.
I laughed and released her arm. "Close. Take a look." She saw the bloody mark on her skin and her lip trembled. More tears fell and I smiled at the masterpiece. The word 'SKET' was bored into her skin. Not too deep, so it would heal soon. It was something she couldn't hide from, and she knew it was the truth. I wiped the knife with tissue before putting it away. I then retrieved the recorder and set it up.
She gave me a look, her cheeks stained with tears and her eyes glossy. "W-What are you doing?"
"I'm gonna press record and I want you to say a simple sentence."
She sniffed. "What?" 
"'I've given up on relationships. I don't wanna do this anymore. It's not you, it's me. Forgive me'." 
"Why?" I pressed record and brought it close to her mouth. She gulped before proceeding. "I've given up on relationships. I don't wanna do this anymore. It's not you, it's me. Forgive me," she muttered. I pressed pause. 
"'I may have Chlamydia, you should get yourself checked'."
"No. I'm not saying that." I dragged her head back by her hair and she screeched in pain. I pressed record. "I may have Chlamydia," she sniffed. "You should get yourself checked." I pressed stop and smiled. 
"Good girl."
She looked at me, her expression unreadable. "Tell me who you are," she demanded in a feeble voice. I laughed and sat on the stairs, watching her. I wasn't gonna cut her up, that'd be just silly. She didn't really deserve as much as Leon, but still, she deserved something. "I've seen you before," she acknowledged.
"Yeah, you have, but don't worry. I'll make sure today will be the last time you see my face." 
"You don't scare me," she sneered. "There isn't anything you can do that I haven't already been through."
"You must've pissed off alot of people in the past then." She sobbed like a bitch and I rolled my eyes. "You know Drake, don't you?"
She sniffed. "Yeah."
"Are you with him?" 
"What?"
I kissed my teeth. "I know you fucking understand me. Are you two an item?"
She peered down at her blotchy fingers. "Yes."
"Ahh, I see." I fiddled with my ring. "You two must be really happy together. But hold on a second, you were with Tyreece, init?" She paused once his name was mentioned. "And now you're with his twin, Zion, aswell, aren't you?" Her eyes widened. "Not only him, but Leon too, right? My my my, aren't you a busy girl." 
"How do you know all this?" she uttered meekly.
"I have my sources." I played with the ring some more. "Shame on you, moving from twin to twin. Is that how you're moving? And Kieran too." She coughed up abit of blood and clutched onto her stomach. "You're what I like to call a neighbourhood bicycle. Everyone gets to ride you."
She frowned and wiped the fresh blood from her mouth. "None of that is true." 
"Now you wanna lie to me?" I laughed. "That's low. I wouldn't be surprised if Leon catches an STI."
"How do you know him?"
I chuckled. "I never would have thought he would go for your type, but it's strange that he'd betray me with someone with the likes of you. He must have very low standards."
Her eyes widened. "You're Becca?" 
"Don't fucking abbreviate my name. I don't know you like that." 
"You obviously do. You know so much about me."
I screwed. "So you admit it's all true?" 
"Yeah, and what?"
I stood up and laughed then began pacing the hallway. "One can only know so much. For your information; Kieran's my brother, Drake, Zion and Tyreece are my friends, and as for Leon..." I shook my head in dismay. "You already knew he was taken yet you still fuck him behind my back. MINE? Are you fucking stupid?"
She scoffed. "He didn't love you." 
"Maybe he didn't, but that doesn't justify what you both did. There's always other boys around, but you know that, don't you? I wouldn't be surprised if you fucked Kayden." I laughed at the thought. That's just silly. C'mon, there's a limit.
I saw a wry smile tug at her lips which caused my laughter to cease. I glared at her, knowing exactly what her expression meant.
"You...fucked Kayden?"
The smile appeared once more. That sickening, contented, toothless smile. 
My heart sank.
"What's it to you?" she chimed, seemingly proud of the accusation.
I shivered. "That's...that's fucking disgusting!"
She smirked, amused by my repulsion. "So you know him too? Kayden Brooks, right? Tempz?" she questioned.
I ignored her and rubbed my temple. Okay, now I was stressed. After all the beatings and torture, I'm the one who feels like complete shit, and she's left victorious. I just couldn't believe it. Kayden was clean...why would he fuck her?! She laughed at my expression.
"He's a talented one," she goaded. She was actually proud of fucking all these boys, like it was some kind of accomplishment. I shook my head and scolded her. If she wanted me to react, it wasn't going to work. 
"I actually don't care. At the end of today, I'll still have my dignity. But what are you gonna do after this? Beat someone in a fucking bush? Set someone else head? Spread more infection?"
"Fuck you." I kicked her in the face. Her head snapped to the side from the strong impact. 
"Fucking hoe. I can't even stand to look at you."
She spat out blood before turning back to face me. "Leave then."
I smiled. "Yeah, you're right. I'm gonna leave."
I rested on the stool and then slowly picked it up. She watched my every move, and I watched hers. Without further hesitation I smashed it over her head. She flopped down to the floor and her body became limp. The chair had snapped in two. Fuck, how hard was this girls head? 
I stared at her unconscious on the floor and didn't even feel satisfied. Just knowing that she fucked my own brother, broke Tyreece's heart, cheated on Drake, but even worse—she fucked Kayden. My Kayden!
I lied. I do care. That's fucking nasty.
My eyes narrowed. I held the chair up again and began to strike her repeatedly on the head, so much that a bruise appeared on the left side of her temple and blood began to seep out. That was the sign to stop. I slowed down to a halt, breathing heavily and staring down at her lifeless body. There were patches of blood and wood on the floor. I bent down and grabbed onto her hair.
"You better hope this isn't lace weave," I snarled. I then dragged her by her hair until I reached the front door. Opening it, I picked her up by her forearm and pulled her outside.
I shut the door behind me and peered around to see the street was more or less empty. I spotted a few bins by the end of the road and had a brainwave. With little effort, I trudged towards the bin, still pulling her along. Once I was close enough, I opened the lid of the big blue bin and lifted her up, then tipped her inside. I saw a block of wood by the bin, conveniently enough. I peered at her lying there; legs still in the air, surrounded by bottles and other used materials. The repugnant smell was beginning to give me a headache.
"This is where you fucking belong." I slammed the lid down and used the wood to jam the lid shut in order to prevent it from opening.
I walked off and released a big sigh, then realised the blood on my fingers. I decided to stop off at the nearest corner shop to purchase some Evian. Using the water I washed the blood off my hands thoroughly.
Soon I was on the bus heading back home. I felt like a lot of weight had been lifted off my shoulders, it was a remarkable feeling. Now I could relax about the whole Olivia fiasco. Both she and that bastard Leon had been taken care of. No more worries. I knew neither of them would pursue me along with the police either, I was sure of that.
Today me, Andre and dad had to pick Uncle Clayton up at the airport in an hour, I guess I still had time on my hands. I dug into my pocket and fished out my list, which was now creased, folded, and slightly torn. I got my pen and crossed Olivia off the list. I smiled at number three. I completely forgot about the fat kid and the football. I can let him off I suppose, maybe with a warning: just give him a wedgie or something, or poke him in the belly with a stick to piss him off. 
I crossed off number three and looked at number four. This girl is definitely next. I have no plans for her just yet, but something has to be done.

Kayden
I peered down at her silently. No words could be said. What can I say? I just took the silence as an opportunity to analyse every detail of my dying auntie. She was so fucking frail. I don't think I've ever seen her so helpless and fragile, it wasn't like her at all. So out of character. For her to appear like this was a big shock for everyone. She hardly ever turned ill either, which is why no-one could understand where this curse came from. She breathed lightly as she slept. It made me angry. It actually pissed me off seeing her like this. Why should she have to go through this shit? Whatever happened to chemotherapy? I sighed and rubbed my face. I couldn't stand to see her this way.
"The doctors know the day," Uncle Trey informed quietly as he watched over her.
I clenched my jaw in angst. "What's the day?" 
"I don't know. I didn't want to know."
I leaned back in the chair. She coughed in her sleep and her muscles tensed. She seemed troubled, even while she was sleeping. It was a horrible sight. I hated this shit. I didn't wanna be here anymore. It's already been an hour and it was killing me just to keep near her. It was literally killing me inside, knowing that she was slowly dying, yet there was nothing anyone could do. 
"I have a feeling though," he added.
"Can't you bring her to the hospital?"
He shook his head. "She doesn't want to. She said she'd rather go peacefully—here—in her home." I kissed my teeth and looked away. I felt my phone vibrate and I looked at the text.
—Yu better be where I think yu are 
Ree.
I sighed before replying.
—I'm about to leave, I'll holla at u soon.
I stuffed my phone in my pocket and stared at her. She was so beautiful, looked just like my mum (since they were twins). It was weird how much she reminded me of her though. It was as if I was staring at my own mum, who I hoped to never see in this situation herself. Ever. She looked so peaceful. Her body was weak and pale, she had slight patches in her hair, plus she'd lost a lot of weight. I closed my eyes and swallowed hard. It's inevitable, init? She was going soon, and I couldn't stop it.
I stood up. "I'm going."
Uncle Trey looked up at me. "Tell your dad to call me." 
"Yeah." I headed for the door but heard a faint cough. I paused. 
"Kayden," she muttered. I turned back to the frail voice to see that she was now awake. I blinked in awe. I hadn't expected her to wake up.
"Hi, auntie."
"Going so soon?" She attempted to smile but began to cough violently.
"I need to get back," I announced.
She shook her head and coughed once again. "Don't you dare. Come here; give your auntie a hug." I smiled weakly and went beside her bed. I gave her a hug and kiss on the forehead. "How've you been?" 
"Fine."
She turned to uncle, who was still watching her silently. "Can I have a glass of water please, Trey?" He nodded and stood up to leave the room. She peered at me once he left. "I haven't seen you in ages. Look how big you've gotten." She laughed and I watched her worldlessly. "How's your mum?"
"Devastated."
She sighed and peered away, now finding it hard to keep eye contact. "Things happen, Kayden." 
"Why didn't you tell us sooner? Why did you wait two months before telling us?"
She swallowed hard and shook her head. "It wasn't on purpose. I didn't want you all to worry. It's hard having to break bad news to family, news such as this. I knew you'd be angry, I didn't want to hurt you." 
"Yeah? How do you think I feel now, auntie?"
She gave a weak smile and gently rubbed my arm consolingly. "It'll be okay."
"No. It won't."
"Hey, don't worry. You've still got your uncle Trey, okay?" 
"You don't have to go. We can do something about this."
 She laughed and rested her fragile hand on my cheek. "Kayden, my time's pretty much up."
I shook my head. "No. I'm not letting you go."
Her weak smile wasn't fading. "Thing's will be fine, don't worry about me. Yo todavía estaré con usted."
I sighed. "Usted no puede hacer esto," I replied slowly. Spanish was abit rusty; I remember when she would teach me the language, even from a young age. She'd even pay me whenever I pronounced the words right. That's what I'll miss, our special times together.
She chuckled lightly. "Still been practicing?"
Now it was my turn to give a pathetic smile. "Nah. Not really."
She rolled her eyes. "You'll be okay, Kayden." She rubbed my cheek lovingly, just like mum would. Uncle entered the room with a glass of water. I helped her to sit up and she drank the water slowly. Even that seemed like a struggle. When she finished she turned back to me. 
"I have to go," I said. She nodded and hugged me. Holding her was a task; I couldn't hug too tight just in case I crushed her limp body.
"Say hello to your mum for me." 
"I will."
"And look after Rebecca." I pulled away and watched her with wide eyes. She simply laughed my expression. "Everyone knows, Kayden. Make sure you take good care of her." I nodded and smiled. "Tell her I said hey."
"I will, auntie. Look after yourself."
"Always do." I gave her a look and she performed her famous sideways smirk in return. I kissed her on the cheek, said my goodbye's to uncle Trey, and then left the room.
Shavonne was sat in the hallway playing on her DSi with her back leaning against the wall. My face softened at the sight of my little cousin. She was aware of her mother’s fate, but she still tried her best to act normal about the whole situation. 
"Hey, lil one."
She looked up at me. "You're going already?"
"Yeah, need to get home."
She stood up and hugged me round the waist. "I don't want her to die," she muttered quietly, her voice withering just like her mums.
I sighed and stroked her curly hair. "Some things are out of our control, Vonne, its no-one's fault." She sniffed. I picked her up and dried her eyes with my thumb. "Don't cry, muffin."
She laughed quietly. "I'm gonna miss her." 
"We all are. Tell you what; come round mine tomorrow and I'll give you a surprise present."
Her eyes widened. "Really?" 
"Yeah, it's in my cupboard waiting for you."
She sniffed and nodded. "Okay." 
"Smile for me first." She grinned and showed her full set of baby teeth. I laughed. "Good girl." I placed her down and she wiped her eyes with the cuff of her sleeve. "I'll see you tomorrow, strawberry."
She giggled. "Bye octopus." I smirked and left.

Claycia
I didn't want to move from the island I called home, but dad insisted we had to so we could visit his brother, our uncle. I had no idea what England was like, and I've never been, but I didn't wanna be disappointed. I've heard a lot about England, not good things either: all bad things. I just hoped the rumours weren't true.
I watched the puffy pale clouds floating carelessly in the sky through the airplane window. I felt slightly nauseous as it was my first time on the plane, but I guess there was nothing I could do. I turned to my side and saw Diamond sleeping peacefully beside me. I rested my head back on the chair and sighed.
"Lookin' forward to London, babylove?" he asked. I breathed deeply and turned to my dad, who had an eager smile on his face. He was so adamant to take me and Diamond to another country, and today was actually the day. He felt like he had finally accomplished something. I forced a smile in return.
"Yep," I muttered, closing my eyes. 
I was in a deep sleep when I felt myself being shaken awake. My eyes fluttered open to witness dad's goofy smile in my face.
"We're here, Claypot," he chimed. I smiled and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. Diamond woke up whilst stretching and yawning. We were told to take off our seatbelts and we soon got off.
I was so tired it was unbelievable. We came out of the jet bridge and into the terminal. We followed the sign to the baggage claim and got all our possessions. I didn't say a word; I just wasn't in the mood. We rolled our suitcases to the front and I looked around unimpressed. Already I could tell how dull England was compared to Jamaica. I've spent at least ten minutes here and already I wanted to go back. Maybe I was too used to my own scenery.
"Clayton!" Me and dad both spun around at the mention of his name. Uncle Steve approached us along with Andre and Rebecca.
They looked so grown up; I was shocked at the sight. The last time I saw them I was at least 8, and that was when they came over for a visit. To me, Andre looked the same, just taller with broader shoulders and the same unmoved face. His hair had grown and his face was more filled and manly, the hairs rested on top of his lip didn't go unnoticed either. 
Rebecca however looked completely different; her hair, her face, just everything. She was nuff pretty. She spotted me and grinned, whereas Andre gave a nod and hugged me briefly. Our dads greeted with a brotherly hug as Rebecca approached me. 
"Aww look at you, lil munchkin. You've grown so much." I smiled at her accent and turned to Andre, who surprisingly had a smile on his face. 
"You alright?"
I nodded and Rebecca stared down at Diamond, who was clung to dad. 
"Can't say hi, Dee?" she asked her. Diamond smiled weakly and Rebecca laughed before turning back to me.
Uncle Steve greeted the two of us with a big hug and a kiss to the forehead. "You've both grown boy!" I laughed.
"Come we go, nuh," Dad grunted, clutching onto his suitcase. Uncle Steve agreed and we soon left the airport.
As we drove in the car, I couldn't help but take in my new surroundings. Suddenly the cool refreshing air in Portland had changed to clammy English air. It just wasn't the same, but I guess I'd get used to it, right? 
I sighed as I watched the sky; it was dull and dry. Where's the sand? Where are the trees? Where's the sun? It was as if everything had disappeared and I was in a whole other world. To think I lef all my people dem, all my friends, even Gran. I was gonna miss her the most. Not to mention the fresh mangoes, which is what I craved right now. 
"You're quiet, what's up?" I turned to Rebecca and shrugged. 
"Nu'in," I answered simply. 
"N'aww. You have no idea how cute your accent is sugarplum." She pinched my cheek and I smiled, even though I had no idea what a sugarplum was. 
"You're gonna love it here, Clayton, I'm telling you; nice houses, lovely community."
Dad kissed his teeth. "Yuh chat like di people dem. Ah wah 'appen to yuh bwoi?"
Uncle Steve laughed. "Listen, it's been a while since I've been yard, how's mum?" 
"She alright man."
Uncle nodded. "Claycia, Diamond, you're gonna love it here." I nodded and he smiled at me through the mirror. I sighed and rested my head against the window. 
This is gonna be some experience.

Becca
I was so hot in this fucking car. I swear I was suffocating, even with the windows open. I forced Andre to open his side of the window and sighed in relief once more breeze entered the car.
"It's hot," Claycia muttered in her little accent, I found it so awesome.
"Your accent." I chuckled.
She looked at me. "Wah?"
"Nevermind. Welcome to England, this shitty hell-hole."
She laughed. "Can't be that bad." She had no idea.
"It is." I gave her a look. She sighed and brought out her phone, a Nokia.
"Where yuh live?" Diamond asked Andre as she peered out the window. She was so small! 
"A place called Brixton," Andre answered. 
"Brickston?" We laughed. Wow, I'm gonna enjoy their company.
Soon we reached home and they settled in nicely. We helped them pack away their stuff, it took ages! Fuck knows why Claycia brought so much shit with her, she was only staying for...actually I don't how long she was staying for. Couple months or so, maybe. A few hours later we were all sitting around and eating. 
"Weh dat bwoi deh?" Uncle questioned, referring to Kieran.
Dad glanced at the clock. "Should be back by now. He's been busy job-hunting lately." 
"Ahh, him fin' wun?"
Dad shook his head. "Not yet. He's interested in mechanics though." 
"Ahh seen." I was too busy texting Kayden to listen to their crap.
—What yu doin?
He replied a couple minutes later.
—Relaxing, u?
—Eating, did yu see Tanisha?
I waited for at least ten minutes but he didn't reply. I raised an eyebrow. How weird.
"Becc's!" I looked up at dad who was watching me, and everyone else for that matter. 
"Yes?"
"Your uncle's talking to you."
Uncle Clayton studied my face, not looking too impressed. "Wah'um, yuh garn deaf?"
I laughed. "Sorry uncle, I wasn't paying attention." 
"Eee-hee." Then that was it, he begun to question me on everything. My age, my school, my interests, what I plan to do in the future, where I work. Shit, he asked more questions than Mr Herman did for my Footlocker interview. He even asked if I had a boyfriend or not...
"Nope," I answered quickly. 
"Yeah she does," Andre butt in. I screwed him. 
"Who?" Uncle narrowed his eyes. 
"Some boy called Kayden."
Uncle sputtered. "Ah yuh man dat?"
"No! He's my friend. Andre doesn't know anything."
Andre smirked, knowing full well that I couldn't beat him up whilst Uncle Clayton was around. Twat.
Dad laughed at the banter. "Trust me Clayton, if they were together I'd know about it. Plus, she still has Leon." 
"No," I admitted quietly.
Dad's brow rose. "Oh? What happened to him?" 
"We didn't agree. We were on different wavelengths." I smiled at the thought of him writhing on the floor in pain with a knife lodged deep in his leg. Fun times...
"Sorry to hear that, Becc's."  
"No, no, really, it's okay." My smile grew. I was happy with it, more than happy. Leon was a prick; it was best if I stayed single and stayed away from the hassle of boys. They pissed me off. Uncle sucked the marrow from his chicken bone and grunted. I cringed at the sight. I HATE WHEN PEOPLE DO THAT!
"Claypot nuh 'ave man till she tun forty," he claimed proudly. Him and dad laughed and Claycia rolled her eyes.
Soon everyone got comfortable. I could tell they were adjusting well to the house and their surroundings; they were too used to Jamaica. I showed Claycia my room and she peered around, scoping and touching certain ornaments. 
"Nice," she commented in her cute accent.
I smiled. "Yeah. I have a pull-out bed for you, so it's all good." I gave her a thumbs up and she nodded, looking slightly glum. I could tell something was wrong. "You okay?" She slowly shook her head. "Homesick?"
She nodded. "Miss gran."
"Don't worry, you'll see her again." She smiled weakly. "Make yourself at home."
She complied and sat on the bed, grabbing hold of a magazine from my stash. I sat beside her and retrieved my phone then decided to call this prick. It rang for a minute before he answered.
"Yeah?"
Rude much? 
"How about hello?"
He sighed. "What is it, Ree?" 
"Okay, attitude, just saying hey. Or do you want me to just lock off?" 
He sighed again. "Nah, don't." 
I laid back and fiddled with my hair. "What's up? You didn't reply before." 
"Just stressed." 
It then occurred to me of his current issue. I felt my heart thump.
"Did...did you see her?" 
He was hesitant. "Yeah." 
"Not good?" 
"Bad, Ree. Very bad."
I frowned. "Was she awake?" 
"After awhile, yeah. She said to say hello." 
I smiled weakly, how kind of her, and she didn't even know me. "That's nice. Is there any news on her recovery?"
"Not really." He breathed deeply. "Look, I don't really wanna talk about it." 
I nodded as if he could see me. "That's fine. We won't." I could already hear the change in his voice. He was so distraught; it made me feel upset as well. 
"What you doing, anyway?" 
"Relaxing with my cousin." 
"So they're at yours now?" 
"Uh-huh. By the way, you've put me off whipped cream." 
He chuckled lightly at the revelation. "I can't eat it unless it's on your body."
I cringed. "That's disgusting." 
"It's the truth. Lick a whole trail off your breasts."
I froze. "Okay." 
"And ass-..."
"Right, I'm going now." 
He laughed. "You know I'm joking." 
"I see you've cheered up." 
"Nah not really. Just tired." 
I looked at the time. 8:57PM. "It's not even nine o'clock yet mate." This guy usually fell asleep around one in the morning. For him to be tired now was strange.
"Can't be bothered to stay up. I'm not even at home." 
"Where are you?"
"Ken's yard." 
I nodded. "Oh, okay, does your mum know you're there?" 
"Nah, but I'm leaving soon. Too stressed." 
I cooed and suddenly remembered something. "Kayden!" 
He paused. "Yeah?" 
"It's your birthday tomorrow!" 
He was silent. "Yeah...?" 
"You're gonna be eighteen! One-eight!" Claycia gave me an odd look.
"It's a normal day." 
I rolled his eyes. He wasn't any fun when he was like this. Where's my prick gone? 
"Wow." He sighed. My thoughts were brought back to Olivia, and how the two of them had sex. It was a disgusting thought, but it had to be discussed. "Can I ask you something?" 
"Not right now, I'm gone." 
I frowned. "...alright, bye." He locked off and I stared at my phone. He was so depressed, and what a time to be as well. I shook my head and put my phone away. 
"Wah'um to dat Shanay gyal?" Claycia asked. I had almost forgotten that she was in the room. I turned to her to witness she was peering at a picture of me and Shanay when we went to Sea World. I forgot to throw that picture away. I won't need it. 
"We're not friends anymore."
She looked at me. "Why?" 
"She's dead."
She gasped. "Oh, sarry." 
"No, no, don't be." Cos I'll make sure of it, come next week.
Shanay, I'm coming for you...

Kayden
I put my phone away and stared into space. Ken shoved a zoot in my face and I shook my head. Now wasn't the time for that shit.
"That Rebecca again?" he asked. 
"Yeah." 
"You two should do a ting." Rider puffed out some smoke and relaxed.
"Yeah, then beat," Nic sighed happily. He was pissing me off now. Didn't even wanna be here, but they insisted I come back to talk about Dean. I wasn't bothered right now, I felt like complete shit. Just the thought of my aunt lying there so close to death. Fuck, what was the point in being happy? 
"You know what I think?" Clapz began, taking a sip of his Barcardi Breezer. "He ain't ever gonna answer his door."
"We can make him open it," Chris said.
"How? He's not dumb. Like Marik said, he's sly. Wouldn't be surprised if he moved to Alaska. Fucking pussy." Ken kissed his teeth and took a draw of his zoot. I sat there, still day-dreaming. 
Don't leave auntie. Stay here.
Don't go...
"I say since he wants to fuck about, best ting to do is Plan B," Ken said. 
Joel raised an eyebrow. "There's a plan B?"
"His family." 
"Ahh, seen." 
"Yeah; I already know he's got his mum, two lil sisters, one brother and one cousin all living in that yard." 
"He's right," Nic concluded, tapping on his phone.
"So what, it's his fam now, yeah?" Rider asked. 
"Yeah, you lot on it?"
Joel shrugged. "Aight. It’s only fair."
Clapz nodded and rubbed his hands together. "Come we do this. I know a few tings, like where his brother jams. Always up North and that." 
Nic looked at me. "Tempz, you on it?"
I slowly turned to him. Now their conversation had registered in my mind. "You're going after three young children?"
He shrugged. "Yeah. You on it or not?" 
"Three young children? Who haven't done anything?" I asked again, in order to clarify.
"Well, Dean has, so they have to pay the price init." 
"But they've done nothing wrong."
Ken sighed. "That's life init. We need to go find out ‘bout these youts; what school they go to, where they jam, all that." They all nodded in agreement.
"Are you lot fucking stupid? Can you hear yourselves?" I screwed. Were they actually considering this shit?
Ken laughed. "Yeah, what? Since when did you get all soft on us?"
"These are little children we're talking about. So what, we're gonna get them too yeah? Treat them like we treated Dean? Tie them up, torture them?" 
"Yeah," Nic said simply like it was the normal thing to do.
My screw deepened. They were sick in the head for this. I shook my head. "You lot are fucked up, for real."  
"Look, are you down or not blud?" Clapz asked. 
"Nah I'm not fucking down. Hurting lil kids, that's fucked." 
"They had it coming," Chris said with a shrug.
"Nah they didn't," I retorted with a screw. Did they realise this was wrong? This is little children we're talking about, ranged from ages 6-16, maybe younger. How the fuck can they think of hunting them down? What kinda bullshit is that? It made me angry thinking about it. That's like someone taking away Zaine, Shavonne, or even Erica. If something ever happened to them, I'd kill someone.
Ken laughed like this was a joke. "Kayden’s turning all Mother Teresa on us an’ ting."
My eyes narrowed. "That little girl, the one who answered the door last time, you gonna get her too yeah?" 
Clapz shrugged. "Forget the age man; we need to do what has to be done init."
"We don't need to listen to everything Marik says." 
"Blud, free money, free crow, I'm there you get me?" Nic smirked. I clenched my fists. No, I weren't having it. 
"Fuck Marik." I kissed my teeth and stood up. Can't believe these pricks were actually considering harming little children. At the end of the day it’s between Dean and Marik. The kids don't need to be involved, and neither do they. I just wish I realised this sooner before we started listening to what this prick had to say, before I agreed to listen to whatever Marik had to say, before I obeyed him. No amount of money or crow in the world could get me to torture a little child.
"Aye, Marik's gonna know about this," Rider warned.
"Don't care, he's fucked. Thirty-two year old man and he's got you lot doing this shit. Little children? A fucking six year old and you wanna fucking tie her up?" 
"You're part of this too, don't forget that," Ken said. 
"Not anymore, this is bullshit man. I'm better than this." 
"So what you saying blud?" Nic questioned with a raised brow.
"Fuck Marik, fuck this whole ting, and fuck you lot. I'm gone." I went to the door. 
"Aye, you know Marik's gonna hear all this. When he does, he's gonna be coming after you," Ken said.
I held onto the door handle and looked back at them. These wastemen. They'd do anything for a quick zoot. They'd actually kill their own mum if Marik told them to. It made me realise that I've been with the wrong people and following the wrong crowd. Ever since the age of fourteen I've messed up, been doing all this shit and harming people for Marik's benefit. No more.
I screwed. "Make him come," I said, and then left.

No comments:

Post a Comment